Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys and gals - I'm going to Kihei with my family and would like to do some fishing. More interested in a private charter - a couple of adults and kids. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations? Given that there will likely be kids on board it would be nice to have some action on smaller types of fish. I've never been to the Hawaiian Islands so I don't really know what to expect. What do you do if you catch a larger fish and can't eat it all by the time you leave? Do you just get it frozen and vacuum packed and take it home in one of those Styrofoam coolers?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boats keep the fish,

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Boats keep the fish,

Really? That's interesting, I've never heard of that. Is that always the case there? Chartering is a new thing to me - I've only ever been 2x and that was here in British Columbia. Here you keep your catch.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I did it the first year we went down. Been there 10-15 Times since and wouldn't pay the charter there again. They will give you enough for a meal but the crew sells the rest. When we finished up, the captain told us if we wanna catch marlin, sailfish, Wahoo, yellowfin etc got to cabo, which we did, and it didn't disappoint, and we brought 2 coolers of fish back.

If you want a fun unique, reasonably cheap experience down there, go huntin. I've hunted 3 of the island's, very fun. License is $100 no tags just hunt. Guides supply the rifles so 1 less thing to worry about.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[bleep] that!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya it’s pretty much a ripoff. Take your old lady on a high snorkel tour, waaaay more fun... you wanna catch fish head to Mexico

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's my mother's 70th so my brother and I are taking our families to meet there. Was looking at some ideas for a day out on the water and maybe bring a bunch of fish back for the BBQ. The only operator I found that seemed to offer this is Maui Fun Charters.

I talked to a lady that used to live on Molokai and she said the same as you - for bill fish and the like Mexico is a much better option. My friend is just south of Cancun and he went out yesterday - came back with a haul of grouper, snapper etc - said it was great.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have buddies heading to Cabo in a week. Four days of fishing. Shoulda went but work is hectic right now. Probably gonna regret the decision.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jack, if you've never been, I highly recommend it... Sea of cortez is something else..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
went fishing on Maui when I was there for my wedding. 4 of us (wife and I and my parents). all day (at harbor at like 3am or something crazy to early afternoon)... 1 small mahi mahi was all. boat kept half and we took half back to our condo and grilled it up.

and was a wavy wavy day. something to consider if any of you are prone to motion sickness

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Judman
I did it the first year we went down. Been there 10-15 Times since and wouldn't pay the charter there again. They will give you enough for a meal but the crew sells the rest. When we finished up, the captain told us if we wanna catch marlin, sailfish, Wahoo, yellowfin etc got to cabo, which we did, and it didn't disappoint, and we brought 2 coolers of fish back.

If you want a fun unique, reasonably cheap experience down there, go huntin. I've hunted 3 of the island's, very fun. License is $100 no tags just hunt. Guides supply the rifles so 1 less thing to worry about.

Jud, did ya talk one of the local farmers to let ya shoot on of his cows? Lmao!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I fished with these guys and have recommended them to others that have had a good experience. They are one of the few charters that will let you keep your catch:

https://www.sportfishingmaui.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.