Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, I'd pick a Burris FFII over a VX3... No question about it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Last VX3 was over $400. Love it but the $159 Burris I bought before season has compared very well to it. Last FF2 is now my oldest scope. Every time I look at swapping it..I look through it and change my mind. Never a hint of trouble

That's been my experience as well. I used to get those feelings of wanting to try something different, but then like you, I'd look through the FFII's and compare them to some other scopes and realize the FFII may not cost a lot, but you get a lot of scope for the money. The last FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle, that I bought, cost $130.00 (new) and it works just as well as all of my other FFII's... As a matter of fact, I was shooting my BSA model E the other day, with this scope, and it seems to holds zero very well:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooting BSA

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Nice shooting BSA

+1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How is actual eye relief on the fullfield? One thing I really like about the leupolds is eye relief. Got the scars from shooting light rifles with marginal eye relief scopes!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To my eyes the fullfields glass sucks. I've tried a few and they all went down the road pretty quickly. The freedom has really nice glass. Gets my vote

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the money it is hard to beat Burris FF 2

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
How is actual eye relief on the fullfield? One thing I really like about the leupolds is eye relief. Got the scars from shooting light rifles with marginal eye relief scopes!

The eye relief is great, as far as I'm concerned. I've used the FFII's on some heavier kickers like the 300wby magnum, 300wm, 338wm, and 9.3x62mm, with no problem at all.

[Linked Image]

One thing I noticed at the range today, when comparing a similar optic (Zeiss 3-9x42), is I could not get the target as focused as I could with my newest Burris FFII that I put on my BSA model E 30-06. The orange dots I use, have a small black diamond in the center, and I noticed I can focus in on that and make it very sharp with my Burris rifle scopes, not so much with the Zeiss. I just pulled the Zeiss on my new Tikka superlite and threw a Burris on it. It makes a difference when I can see the target clearly. I'd still compare the Burris FFII glass to the VX3 in terms of brightness and clarity.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The eye relief is great, as far as I'm concerned. I've used the FFII's on some heavier kickers like the 300wby magnum, 300wm, 338wm, and 9.3x62mm, with no problem at all.

[Linked Image]

One thing I noticed at the range today, when comparing a similar optic (Zeiss 3-9x42), is I could not get the target as focused as I could with my newest Burris FFII that I put on my BSA model E 30-06. The orange dots I use, have a small black diamond in the center, and I noticed I can focus in on that and make it very sharp with my Burris rifle scopes, not so much with the Zeiss. I just pulled the Zeiss on my new Tikka superlite and threw a Burris on it. It makes a difference when I can see the target clearly. I'd still compare the Burris FFII glass to the VX3 in terms of brightness and clarity.

Interesting. Been a few years since I went down the FF2 road. Maybe deserves another look. The glass wasnt any good for my eyes on the ones I've owned. Have they changed anything with them?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've tried to warm up to the FFII's a couple times based on the recommendations from the Fire..... I couldn't do it and both went down the road.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunchamp

[Linked Image]

Interesting. Been a few years since I went down the FF2 road. Maybe deserves another look. The glass wasnt any good for my eyes on the ones I've owned. Have they changed anything with them?

The lens coatings are different, than the older American made models. Other than that, I don't think they really changed anything else internally.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO, Leupold screwed the pooch not offering a LR Duplex in the Freedom series. Hence My recommendation of the Burris. The Burris Ballistic Plex is, in my view, the very best of all the "Dotz" scope reticles, and I like it better than Leupold's LR Duplex or B&C reticle, and Redfield's Accu-Range.

I'm not crazy about Burris's eye relief though... I might have talked myself back into the 3-9x40 Redfield with Accu-Range :grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I am with you on your thoughts about Leupold not offering a LR Duplex in the Freedom series, I have one with a regular duplex in it and it seems to be an ok scope. I think I will hold off for a while before buying another, I am hoping they will introduce one with LD dots soon.

I do not care for the image the Burris gives, I can't really put my finger on it but it is just not as good as what I see through a Leupold.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hell, I'd pick a Burris FFII over a VX3... No question about it...

+1!

I think I'm down to 4 Leupolds and every one has been rebuilt by the factory at least once. I have maybe 6 or 7 Burris scopes with three of them being FF II. The only failure I have experienced was a 3-10x Signature that died on a 338WM.

When I need a basic scope that works, the 3-9 FFII Ballistic-Plex is my choice.

405wcf

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by aheider
I've tried to warm up to the FFII's a couple times based on the recommendations from the Fire..... I couldn't do it and both went down the road.

Same here. I just don't like the whole eye piece turning to adjust magnification power. I put a Burris MSR 3-9x40 on my 20" PSA AR. Few hundred rounds later, I'm still liking it.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The newer E1's have a traditional type magnification ring. Loving the illuminated dot #4 and the extremely low price I paid for it but most importantly, loving the brightness and clarity etc..

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by aheider

Same here. I just don't like the whole eye piece turning to adjust magnification power. I put a Burris MSR 3-9x40 on my 20" PSA AR. Few hundred rounds later, I'm still liking it.

The MSR seems to be a great scope with a traditional power selector ring. It also comes with the oldstyle ballistic plex reticle, which is a big plus over the newer E1 scope. Ive been playing around with the MSR on a new 223 rem and its like any other burris ive had and holds zero extremely well. For those who arent used to, or dont like, the FFII ocular housing rotating when adjusting the power range, the MSR would be a good one to check out. Ive been using the FFII for going on 20 years now, and actually like the power selector. It did take a while to get used to though.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.