Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone used one of these packs? How'd do you like it? Thanks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pack. I’ve packed an elk and 3 deer in mine this year. I’ve used it on a couple springtime overnight flyfishing trips and I’ve flown a 3 times with it- it’ll be 4 after The Weeknd. It’s great to hunt in and hauls like a champ. It’s defintely my primary at this point. I’m only using the pintler when I know for a fact I’m bivying for 3 days or so

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/23/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have been looking at the MR Popups since they introduced them. Like the concept but wondered if the implementation was a good as the idea.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy has one and loves it. Has packed out a couple of elk and a blacktail with excellent results. He loves it, especially for day hunts.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used one this year and I like it but I do not like the way the shoulder straps cut in after 6 or 7 miles. I even stopped in Bozeman an had them fit the pack. it helped but still not to my liking.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 18, same pack- different bag; I think it’s a great pack- game changer really; the ability to have a small, compact day hunting pack that can be converted into a hauler is really nice

I will say that it’s not going to carry a heavy load as well as a dedicated hauler, but if you keep loads in the 70-ish pound range and lower- you’re golden

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pretty expensive for what it is. Just my opinion. I do own and like the one Mystery Ranch Pack I own.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Pretty expensive for what it is. Just my opinion. I do own and like the one Mystery Ranch Pack I own.

Do you see a use for this pack? In what respect do you mean it’s expensive for what it is (I know you mean it costs too much )? Also what do you think it should cost.

Thanks

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can see a use for it sure. But not a use that I would pay that much for. I have to many packs that I can use that fit my needs. It's and 18 and 28 liter pack for christ sake. Big deal it has two aluminum poles and some quick release buckles. If it fits your needs and you care to pay the price have at it.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/23/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guys buy Harley edition trucks, King Ranch Trucks ect........ Some people don't value their money.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple more questions for my own SA- what do you feel needs to be improved from a quality or performance standpoint in order for the pack to be viable at its current pricepoint? As the pack currently sits, what pricepoint do you think would be appropriate? And just quickly if you have time or inclination- do you think the concept can be executed in a fashion that would appeal to a more astute, or less financially cavalier user- or is it just an excuse to sell packs to the frivolous?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Couple more questions for my own SA- what do you feel needs to be improved from a quality or performance standpoint in order for the pack to be viable at its current pricepoint? As the pack currently sits, what pricepoint do you think would be appropriate? And just quickly if you have time or inclination- do you think the concept can be executed in a fashion that would appeal to a more astute, or less financially cavalier user- or is it just an excuse to sell packs to the frivolous?

I don't see a quality issue with it or feel it needs improving. Though I have never used it. @ $280 and $300 for a 18 and 28 liter pack is just not realistic for me. I have to many other packs to use that will get the job done. If you want to spend that kind of money on a pack like that, by all means have at it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by 175rltw

I don't see a quality issue with it or feel it needs improving. Though I have never used it. @ $280 and $300 for a 18 and 28 liter pack is just not realistic for me. I have to many other packs to use that will get the job done. If you want to spend that kind of money on a pack like that, by all means have at it.

Thanks, MCH. You just saved me some money. I have the MR Metcalf and like it...enough, but I am definitely looking for a smaller pack to fit my usual hunting methods. I have been considering the Pop Up 28 or 18, but now I'm considering something a lot less expensive but with similar capacity and geared towards hunting. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by shankbone; 01/25/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm interested to hear your alternative recommendations for an ~28 liter day sized pack that's compact but still usable as a hauler. I've looked at the Mule and Cabinet as well but I'd guess they are even lower on your list based on price. Recommendations for a quality compact day pack/hauler? Don't want to waste $ but I'd rather spend $ on quality that works for what I need than to save $ on something that doesn't work as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buy what fits your needs. It's your money do what you want with it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ Precisely what I did. smile I got rid of 6-7 other packs, all functionally replaced by the Pop Up 18. Reclaimed a TON of space, upgraded, and simplified all in one fell swoop.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 28, it's about the best all around pack I've used.Even used it for a a multi day pack in in CO, but that was pushing it a little, and I pack a lot lighter than most.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Buy what fits your needs. It's your money do what you want with it.

Yeah...that's the plan. I'd prefer to not throw money away if there's a better option. Do you have a recommendation from your "to many other packs to use that will get the job done" list for a compact day pack that will serve as a hauler?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used a Pop Up 28 last fall, and found it to be a great pack.

It’s out of the way when busting brush, spotting from prone, or drawing a bow, but large enough to carry plenty of crap for a day hunt. Capable of hauling decent loads with the frame extended. I also like that the pack is built with stout enough material that I don’t mind throwing it in the back of a pickup and letting it bounce around.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used the related MR Mule. Put a 55l bag on the shelf and it’s a really nice all around pack. So in reality it becomes a 73L pack that turns into a day pack rather easily. It’s quite brilliant actually. Packed in for 4 days in mid-November. Packed out an entire deboned Muley including head. Since some are so concerned about price, it’s actually a very inexpensive pack for what it can do. In fact I don’t know of a better price to capability out there. My Kifaru Reckoning may not get used anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Rese...mp;keywords=55l+dry+bag+outdoor+research

Last edited by prm; 01/26/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.