Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Instant Gratification RINK

Might scratch an itch for you...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
ARIC

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

You seem upset.

I'm not bothered by your claims. If they are true, you are working with some high pressures.

It's just an observation, not a critique.

I think anyone's got a right to get defensive when other folks start armchair quarterbacking. You're usually more of a gentleman, but on this one you're kind of a dick and really have no idea what I've observed in my rifle.

If you want to have some useful input, tweak your QL inputs to match Ramshot's TAC data exactly (meaning powder charge, velocity, AND pressure) for a 24" barrel, then shorten that to a 16" and tell us what velocity it predicts. I think you'll be surprised.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm familiar with the chambering,the platform and propellants cited...which is why I simply cited burn rates as THE reddest of flags.

It ain't my lips and I'll happily watch the fhuqking show!...................(grin)

Stay away from me with your lips, sweetcheeks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't flatter yourself...it ain'y my lips that are suspect.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You said you observed 2850 fps from a 16" barrel. I didn't make that up.

If you need a QL numbers bitch, I'm not that chick.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'll go by published load data (like the Ramshot / Western Powders data I used) over QL any day. Don't really care what QL estimates to be honest, it's a pretty meaningless estimate unless correlated to other established loads for my particular barrel.

Note that most published data for these is for 223 Rem, while Ramshot has a separate section for hotter 5.56 loads.

And now you're interested in QL predictions??

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Do you understand the correlation between brass life and pressure? You really think that 75ksi loads leave reloadable brass behind?
You apparently don't see the difference between QL guessing and actually correlating it to something either, or are you just being obtuse still?

This isn't worth continuing, I came here to learn and share info not to argue; you and your hero Big Tick can hug it out and celebrate for winning on the internet.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I cannot help but believe that pushing 75's to 2850 fps in a 16" barrel is running on the warm side of warm.

Good shooting, and stay safe.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I cannot help but believe that pushing 75's to 2850 fps in a 16" barrel is running on the warm side of warm.

Good shooting, and stay safe.

Translation

HAF
OSU
T C
K

I agree

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Do you understand the correlation between brass life and pressure? You really think that 75ksi loads leave reloadable brass behind?
You apparently don't see the difference between QL guessing and actually correlating it to something either, or are you just being obtuse still?

This isn't worth continuing, I came here to learn and share info not to argue; you and your hero Big Tick can hug it out and celebrate for winning on the internet.

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be better served by asking questions...rather than giving "answers". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon Facts and Physics colliding with your Fantasy.

Bless your heart..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ramshot has a separate section for hotter 5.56 loads.

Ramshot is not bashful about their load data compared to most others; Hodgdon is generally conservative IME; Nosler data is generally close to reality for much of it & is very close to what I can get and am comfortable with for a goodly number of rounds, on a few I am over their numbers.

5.56 NATO data is a fair amount warmer than standard 223 data from any source.

Gen-u-ine 5.56 ammo is getting harder to find & some of it that calls itself 5.56 M193 is watered down, but when I shoot IMI M193, it's easy to tell the difference from weak 223 stuff.

IIRC, there is not a SAAMI pressure standard for 5.56, but CIP puts it at 62.2K vs SAAMI 55.1K for 223.

QL is just a data point; sometimes close with some rounds, sometimes way off............

I don't use TAC & cannot comment on it, ditto for Lever; AR-Comp, 8208, 4895, 2000-MR, V V-133 /135 all get use depending on what I have the most of on hand.

WC 844 is the powder generally used in M193 ammo & 8208 is a substitute with that 56 gr bullet.

Stick, what velocity & what kind of accuracy does Lever yield in your guns?

MM

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's faster than everything else,due the burnrate and it's density. ES/SD is dick nothing.

If she were citing Lever' in the application,I'd simply nod my head in concurence,but she's wayyyyyyyy down the totem pole as burnrates go and will smoke herself before it's over.

I shoot Lever' expressly in all my 223's,223AI's,270's,22 Grendels,6mm Grendels,22BR and 6BR's....................

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The speed I got with Lever in my 223AI made me think my chronograph went haywire.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lotsa or little speed?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lotsa, I settled on 3500+ (don't have my notes here) with a 55 gr NBT and under MOA accuracy with my Kimber Montana in 223AI (factory punched tube). I bested my TAC load in vanilla 223/5.56 by 50-100 fps with 55's and 77's.

I sold the rifle to a good friend of mine and he used my data and was within single digits on his chronograph. I have a 204 Ruger and a 22-250AI both in Montana's and didn't really need the 223 so I let him have it and really kinda regret the sale but it went to a good home. I also let him have my supply of Lever and figured I'd burn through the 2 jugs of TAC I had then make the switch for good, one jug of TAC left...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did you try it with heavies? 75 grains +?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Lotsa, I settled on 3500+ (don't have my notes here) with a 55 gr NBT and under MOA accuracy with my Kimber Montana in 223AI (factory punched tube). I bested my TAC load in vanilla 223/5.56 by 50-100 fps with 55's and 77's.

I sold the rifle to a good friend of mine and he used my data and was within single digits on his chronograph. I have a 204 Ruger and a 22-250AI both in Montana's and didn't really need the 223 so I let him have it and really kinda regret the sale but it went to a good home. I also let him have my supply of Lever and figured I'd burn through the 2 jugs of TAC I had then make the switch for good, one jug of TAC left...

So did you use it in an AR or not?...........can't clearly decipher whether you did or not from the above.

If so, how was functioning, gassing, ejection, brass, etc. What were your loads?

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lever' shines brightest,with heavies. 75/88's and 105s.............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the burn rate, that's an obvious conclusion..........................& I shoot more >75's & greater than all others combined in an AR.

Maybe I missed you posting it, but how much are you stuffin' in the case to drive the 75's?

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
26.5grs is a nice place to be in Krunchentickers,SALAMI boltguns and 223AI 75gr Form Loads.

Takes some beatings outta the micrometer stem on my powder thrower...................(grin)

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

So did you use it in an AR or not?...........can't clearly decipher whether you did or not from the above.

If so, how was functioning, gassing, ejection, brass, etc. What were your loads?

MM

Yes I did use it in an AR "vanilla 223" and it functioned fine, just as Stick says. I don't have notes with me but I'll try and remember to post what I tried. It definitely beat TAC in both 55's and 77's.
I don't use adjustable gas blocks and have Colt carbine gassed guns as well as a couple of mid length gassed guns, it ran fine in both systems. My guns use H or H2 buffers, nothing exotic nor do you need to tune anything.

Stick mentioned it a few bazillion times on the other forum and I just had to see for myself, I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, thanks Stick.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.