Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And my Whelen ain't going anywhere, one of my favorites, just not for deer.

Agreed. My 270 has become my "go-to" rifle for deer in recent years. And that 50+ yr old .243 sitting in the safe is starting to look better and better! crazy

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JD338
I have a M700 Classic with Vari-X II 2.5-8x36mm scope that has accounted for 17 WT and a 250 lb Black Bear.
The first 4 bucks were taken with the factory 200 gr SPSCL bullet back in '88 and '89.
In '90 I started using the then new 225 gr PT at 2650 fps and killed quite a few more deer. I only had to blood trail 2-3 deer and they were short and heavy. The rest dropped in their tracks.

So true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NH K9
Is there such a thing as "too dead"? grin

I picked up a 7600 myself but haven't had a chance to shed any blood with it. I figure if my 35 Remington works, the Whelen should be "that much" better!

George

Great minds think alike. I also have a mdl 760 in 35 Rem and an early 7600 35 Whelen with 760 wood. I look at it as a 35 Rem. Mag. grin grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[quote=whelennut]I have only killed a few (dozen) deer with my 700 Classic in 35 Whelen but I have never had to shoot one twice.
One hundred bullets could last for generations. I used to play around with different bullets and came to the conclusion that deer can't tell much difference from a well placed shot with any bullet out there. The last 11 point buck I shot was in the brush about 20 yds away. The 250 gr Speer put him down so fast it was like the Hammer of Thor. I will leave the .223's for prairie dogs. I am sure they work on deer but how they could kill faster or better than instantly is beyond me. Where I hunt the pressure from other hunters causes the deer to move mostly at dawn and dusk. I like to find my deer right away, not after somebody else is gutting it.
whelennut

Compelling

Profound grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by whelennut
[quote=whelennut]I have only killed a few (dozen) deer with my 700 Classic in 35 Whelen but I have never had to shoot one twice.
One hundred bullets could last for generations. I used to play around with different bullets and came to the conclusion that deer can't tell much difference from a well placed shot with any bullet out there. The last 11 point buck I shot was in the brush about 20 yds away. The 250 gr Speer put him down so fast it was like the Hammer of Thor. I will leave the .223's for prairie dogs. I am sure they work on deer but how they could kill faster or better than instantly is beyond me. Where I hunt the pressure from other hunters causes the deer to move mostly at dawn and dusk. I like to find my deer right away, not after somebody else is gutting it.
whelennut

Compelling

Profound grin

Astute. smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only problem with 35 Whelen deer stories is that they are so short. Just like the bloodtrails. You shoot , the deer dies, end of story.
Get yourself some Imr 4320 and some 225 gr. Noslers and be ready for big critters. I have some 275 gr Barnes Originals I am saving for escaping circus tigers.
The 225 gr. Sierra is very accurate in my rifle. All of the bullets have worked well on deer. This cartridge is a win/ win. Just go hunting!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
35 Whelen verses 5 x 5 Elk

Took this bull two weeks ago. 40 yard shot in left side of chest, hitting a rib, then separated the heart basically into two pieces, then took out the opposite shoulder. The bullet did not exit the skin , but what was found just indside the skin on the should you can see. The should bones were total destroyed.

Elk ran about 30 yds. Somewhere I have the Accubond. Will post a pic when I find it.

The rifle is a Rem 700 with a B&C Alaskan stock with a Leupold 2.5-8x35. Great carry package.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Orchemo; 10/26/12.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Orchemo,
Fantastic picture and story.!
Whelennut

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Here is a picture of the Nosler 225 gr AccuBond I retrieved from this elk.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice want to try that bullet in my norma.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the 225 gr. Sierras for a deer bullet in the .35 Whelen.

I took these two hogs with the Whelen and 225 gr. Sierra at approx. 2650 fps. Shot the first, DRT and then the second one just stood there a bit too long.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by duckster; 11/19/12.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A lot of good knowledge, and good reads from this post! Thanks for all of the information on this subject. I guess you are a .35 caliber fan...... or you are not! My original post was very open to discussion and I have learned a great deal reading everything. I have became a more believer with my own personal hunts with this caliber of rifle!

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Most anyone that has actually hunted with a Whelen is a fan. This is a caliber that just does not fail to accomplish what is fairly asked of it. While we enjoy an abundance of great calibers/bullets today, many of us would choose the Whelen if we were limited to just one.
For many years, I hunted PA whitetails generally using 200gr Hornady Spitzer, with great success. My current favorite Whelen, a 700CDL, loves the 250 gr Partition over Varget. This is a recent development as I have been using the 250 gr Hornady, happily and with great success, in recent years. Not truly convinced the Whelen really needs premium bullets, but I'm mot smart enough to leave "well enough" alone.
Craig Boddington has an article in the current G&A mag covering the various 35's. His comments about his experience with the Whelen are nothing but positive.
I often find Steelheads comments of interest, but as regards the Whelen, just wrong.

Nope, not wrong. I still contest, based on seeing lots of [bleep] die, that a small/fast slug impresses deer more.

Here is one Whelen'ized (whatever the [bleep] that is) deer.

[Linked Image]

He went a good 150 yards. I caught up and could see the bullet hole where it should be on the offside, but the deer weren't impressed. Took a good couple of minutes for it to die. Of course part of the problem was that the 225gr Ballistic tip didn't expand.

I've got a few more less than impressed deer pics with the Whelen. I also recall one that went ass over teakettle with a shot straight on.

They seem to impress bear a bit more than deer and moose even more so.

It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one certainly don't need 200+ grains to kill a deer and burn 60grs of powder to do it.

I'll be ML hunting again this fall, the 54 that I bought came with 100 or so 540gr Maxiballs. I laughed when I started doing the math, the total combined weight of bullets used to kill the last 6 critters is 562grs.

If folks want to believe that the Whelen is some sort of magic wand, I'm happy for them, but don't tell me it tastes like French vanilla ice cream and expect me to eat it with a spoon.

I’d think that the 180 grain TSX would be very effective on Deer.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by onelostsoul
Tell me some stories?

Got one in a CDL model 700.........and one in a 7600.

Too much for whitetails?

killed my first bull elk with one.....my Leica said 301 yards and my home made Mauser was held at the top of the elk's back.....one 225 grain partition later my very first elk was in the bag.

Too much for whitetails?.....anything bigger than a .243 is that.....but we use them don't we?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
More reads equal more knowledge.....my original post was seven years old. I have learned a lot.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good thread. I just bought my first Whelen and I'm trying to learn more about what the hell I should be using. I don't reload, so I need to stick to factory stuff. Gonna try a couple of things and see what it likes. My scope should be here today.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Randall Redman rebored a pre'64 M/70 to .35 Whelen for me nearly 30 yrs. ago, it has been my go to whitetail rifle ever since. My load was the Sierra 225 gr. Game King over IMR 4064, it was accurate and performed well on deer as did the 225 gr. Nosler BT. While doing some load development in advance of last year's season I came across a Ken Waters Pet Load utilizing the Hornady 200 Gr. RN bullet with IMR 3031. Accuracy with his load was outstanding often producing 3 shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds., I used this load to take a KY 7pt. buck at 100 yds.. A quartering shot just ahead of the last two ribs completely penetrated and lodged just under the skin on the far side. The bullet was a classic mushroom and retained 122 gr., the buck traveled approx. 40 yds before piling up entangled in a barb wire fence. When I field dressed that buck the contents of the chest were liquified, never seen that kind of devastating shock. Needless to say this load is now my go to load for whitetail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know at least 5 guys here in Alaska that use the Whelan as there "got to". They all shoot the 225 grain Accubond and I don't recall more then one shot being used on any of their moose and caribou. My one friend has a tricked out Rem. 700 with the big Burris scope, the one that weighs a ton and ranges the target and the shooter puts the red dot on the target and presses the trigger. The trigger is scary light in my opinion, but he like it.

He keeps a vid on his smart phone of him banging and clanging the 800 yard ram at the local range. The most impressive one is calling the shot when he shoots it in the nose. Wish I could do that with my 6.5 Creedmoor, but at least I can hit the ram.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
He keeps a vid on his smart phone of him banging and clanging the 800 yard ram at the local range. The most impressive one is calling the shot when he shoots it in the nose. Wish I could do that with my 6.5 Creedmoor, but at least I can hit the ram.

No worrys. The nose shot is way over rated. smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This caliber (.358) has turned a solid into a liquid !

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.