Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One constant I've noticed through the years:

1) Every employee that got shiet canned was employee of the year and they were only fired because the boss was an idiot.

2) Every employer that ever had anyone quite on them suddenly was shocked, because they were employer of the year. Best boss, GREAT pay, treated employees like GOLD.

So in short, only the best employees get fired and only the best employers have high turn around.

The 'fire is a special place.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by slumlord
What type of job?

Carpenter. Just the way it is now. Used to be guys wanted to learn/practice a trade. Now they just want a paycheck. I pay higher than local average $23/hr and some benefits, truck, fuel, 3 weeks paid time off, 3% 401k match. Workforce is dwindling away quick. Biggest damage Obama did to this country was show that you could survive pretty nicely being unemployed, and convince everyone that they're a victim, and that all their problems are caused by someone else.

Yep. The recession and obama ruined a lot of good men. Masonry trade is going through the same mess. Former masons have learned to get by working part time, tax free gigs. Most are still driving the same ol 86 Ford pick up and living in Mama’s house. You can’t put enough bait on the hook to get them to take a masonry job now. Very sad! These same guys used to be rugged, tough, hard working dudes. No more.

A lot of that is parenting, IYAM..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by AB2506
No.

Has resign by letter handed to me.

As an employee...I don't have to do anything I don't choose to.

When you die, your obit will get read an awful lot less than your job posting, and the job posting will likely be published first.

I've received notification of an employee's plan to retire via text from a guy that had been on the job 25 + years.

I for one appreciated it because I promise I didn't give two fugks about his reasoning.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No.

That would depend on your employer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had three jobs since I graduated high school. When I quit the first two, I gave a weeks notice, told the people at my new job I was giving two weeks so I could have a week off. When I leave this job, I’m done. I’ll tell them a couple months before. People here retire December 31. If you work one day of the second semester, you get credit for a full years retirement. I’m working on 31 yrs.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No.

How so?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No.

How so?

You could try it in the military, but I don't consider jail time and a dishonorable discharge a good way to fly.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No.

How so?

You could try it in the military, but I don't consider jail time and a dishonorable discharge a good way to fly.

Thats a complete red herring...but sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 15 yrs ago I had a boss who sent an email to his boss (a company VP) saying, "I quit". This was followed moments later by another email saying, "I mean, I quit now." My boss, a white guy in his mid fifties, had developed an unhealthy obsession with a 20 something black girl in our group. Apparently he could no longer contain himself, and declared his undying affection for the young lady. The object of his affection was not happy with the news, and the guy left one step ahead of HR. The last I heard he was hiding from his wife, who also was not happy with the turn of events.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In the corporate world, either face-to-face and/or written correspondence (minimum = email). Otherwise, 3 days no show = automatic involuntary termination (fired)... May not matter in the trades. However, in the corporate world, makes a big difference when you go looking for your next gig...

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Speaking of wages. Here in E Oregon, about the least expensive place in the country to live, my employer is in dire need of an Orego licensed journeyman electrician. Over the last nine months they have gotten a few nibbled. One guy even worked for three months, but had the almighty gall to move on for $5/hr better wages and closer to home. The ugrateful bastard.

They have finally raised the offer to $30, free insurance, great insurance by the way, two weeks vaca to start, company pension, 20% match on up to 6% of your wage on 401k, and still no takers.

People gotta learn, you gotta pay decent wages to get decent employees.

We are paying $16/hr for starting wages on the line to stack boxes on a pallet. With the same bennies as stated above. And we get crap employees for crap wages.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You can’t get an AC tech, pipe fitter-welder, plumber, electrician down here worth a damn for 35.00 an hour. You got to get around 40.00 to hire one. We were trying to hire plumbers for 35.00, no applicants. That’s with retirement, vacation, sick days, four weeks vacation if you have 15 years experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In fairness,kids on Summer Vacation from Junior High,make that much fishing for a few months in the summer.................

Yes, and we have guys down here that do over 100K catching pike minnows on the Columbia. Nothing in the way of benefits though. If one looks about, not every entry level job, however, pays 6 figures with a full package of benefits.

Made a seasonal offer to a lady once, and she insisted we furnish housing and transportation. Got that all arranged and one day before starting, she bugged out. Said she would like to work with us next summer. I don't think so. Wasn't text, but e-mail. I do not do text.

We've had some quit after a day, due to separation from boy/girl friends. A neighbor kid was flown to Ak, transported to the lodge where she was supposed to work, and announced on arrival that she could not do the summer away from her sweetie.

I think the trades are having problems because folks simply don't want to do physical work anymore. Can't even legally hire a kid to mow a lawn until they are 16 or drive rigs or equipment until they are 18, and they're supposed to wake up that day with a work ethic?

I can not imagine the pains one must endure with outfits handling 3 shifts of several hundred.

When I last quit, they had exactly 1 year's notice. Takes about that long to line up a replacement.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/23/19.

1Minute
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Ok, but no.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Heym06
Realize it takes a forty dollar an hour job in Alaska, to equal 15 in the lower 48. Housing ,food, beer, cars, trucks, fuel everything is real expensive. We visit the kids every year. The last four trips I bought used pickups, took them up sold or left to be sold, and paid airfare back, plus a few dollars in the pocket! Not enough fishing boats and slope work to keep Alaska resident's employed. That's why parts of Anchorage, is as slum like as many other cities. No work for the masses! Not trying to start a conflict, just relating experience!

Realize that given the schedule,you can live ANYWHERE. ,
The ONLY folks not working,are THE worthless fhuqks. Hint.

Hint...............

I agree the folks not working are worthless. Living anywhere, well unless your paying travel expenses, it's another hit to their income! Like I said not looking for conflict, just being real! Oh by the way all my family is employed, with the exception of babies, high school students, myself, and wife we are retired!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Had a kid do the text thing to me.
Text came at 5:05, he had clocked out at 5 and we spoke as he and I were leaving. Received the text a few minutes later.
The next day we find all of his undone work from the day before. he had done zero work that last day.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loyalty in the workplace should go both ways. But it has not existed for decades.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
When they decide to cut you loose, they don’t give you any notice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poor area where I live and plenty of those that are working just up and quit for whatever reason that strikes the moment.

Didn't take long to see that of those quitters of any age were really not dependent on their wages to survive. IOW wife, GF, roommate, relative behind the scene for them to live such an "independent" lifestyle.

Not blasting family but IMHO they're bums. leeches.

Rant over. grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Ok, but no.

Jobs outside of the military don't typically carry the penalty of jail time for quitting....so yeah, its pretty irrelevant. In the world outside of the military, no employer can force you to do anything, regardless of what their policy says. The military isnt a job, its a contract and commitment.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 30 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.