-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
i recently received a rifle from a friend who had a "gun plumber" rebarrel a win 70 in 264 wm. he has shot this round for many years and have always reloaded his own ammo. after getting the new barrel back, and firing a few rounds thru it, he cannot run the brass thru his reloading die. it just wont go all the way down. about halfway or so before it becomes so tight that he is worried it will get stuck. (yes he used lube) old fired brass from the factory barrel still runs thru the die just fine. the barrel was shown to me that it will close on a go gauge, and will not close on the no go gauge. all factory rounds will close just fine and open just fine either non fired or fired.

my question is, what would cause that.

TIA for any info.

Matt

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I would expect an egg shaped or enlarged chamber. Take a round mark it with a sharpie to match a spot on the action. Then fire said round extract and rotate it 90-180 degrees and see if you can chamber it again. That’s my guess is it won’t.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, either that or he over polished the chamber, leaving a small "bell" area at the chamber mouth causing the brass to enlarge when fired. If this is the case, you may need to take the rifle to a gunsmith (probably a different gunsmith) and have the barrel set back enough to rechamber it properly, rethread, and reinstall. It won't be a cheap fix....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The belted magnums can develop a bulge just ahead of the belt after multiple firings. A standard FL resizing die does not resize the area just ahead of the belt. Being the problem your seeing is after just one firing could be a improperly cut chambered as mentioned. A possible solution short of a rechamber is a resizing die designed specifically for belted magnums. Belted Mag collet die need to scroll down the page a bit. First you would neck size your brass then run them through the collet die to bring the case back into spec. I have used the die for 350 Remington mag. Works great. Did not have chambering issues. Just doing any little step to extend brass life. As soon as the brass shows slightest sign of bulging I run them through the collet die. The die is also used as a gauge to detect the bulge.Otherwise I neck size only.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wtroger
I would expect an egg shaped or enlarged chamber. Take a round mark it with a sharpie to match a spot on the action. Then fire said round extract and rotate it 90-180 degrees and see if you can chamber it again. That’s my guess is it won’t.
My guess as well... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
An oversized or eccentric chamber is more than likely what is causing the problem. Have your 'smith make a chamber cast and measure to confirm this before going to the expense of setting back and re-chambering.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How do you machine an egg-eccentric chamber?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
If the barrel runs out significantly at the pilot location and the rear of the reamer is held on the center, you can machine an eccentric chamber. If a post-64 barrel is cut with threads a bit undersized and is torqued in really tight, the chamber will distort. The bigger the chamber, the worse it is. WSM's are the worst. GD

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by greydog
If the barrel runs out significantly at the pilot location and the rear of the reamer is held on the center, you can machine an eccentric chamber. If a post-64 barrel is cut with threads a bit undersized and is torqued in really tight, the chamber will distort. The bigger the chamber, the worse it is. WSM's are the worst. GD

You explained it much better than I was about to... Kudos..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have any of you professionals noticed any barrel brands more/less likely to produce a straight hole down the middle of the blank?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,316 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.