Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sergio Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hi, I have a Remington 600 in 350 Remington mag with the laminate stock that was bought new back in the 60’s along with two boxes of ammo. The rifle has never been fired and I read somewhere where these old rifles with the plastic trigger guards and the bedding are not worth shooting. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this model rifle that can help me.

Here’s a link to photo, I was unable to attach to this post after many attempts
http://renorigs.com/remington600/remington600.jpg

Thanks
Sergio

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have that exact rifle. It was my Dad’s rifle and will not leave my hands. It is an absolute joy to carry in the field. A little snappy to shoot but crazy accurate with 200 gr TSX bullets. I don’t know why anyone would say it’s not worth shooting. Collector value??? I’d hunt that awesome little thumper and never think twice about it!

Rick
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing redeeming in the chambering,receiver or stock.

Trip it and score sumptin' good,that connects dots...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Sergio Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks Rick that’s exactly what I wanted to hear

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know nothing about the 350 RM, but knew a few people who had those rifles in 243 back in the day, and they loved them.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Model 600 in 308 Win. I replaced the plastic trigger guard, but you don't have to. The alumuinum trigger guards are $110. I bedded the aciton and first 2" of barrel. Shoots sub MOA with hand loads I worked up, which is a downloaded 125 gr bullet. The veloicty yields the equivalent of a Win 243 factory round. It is a very nice shooter, very short and handy in a deer blind. One of the 2 rifles I use most often. I would not use that load for elk, but for my hunting spot the shots are all 70 to 100 yards and the whitetails and pigs drop when hit, which pretty much always.

Now with 308 Win full factory ammo it is rather punishing as it has a plastice butt pad and the gun is very light weight. `I would not want to fire it with the 350 RM unless it at least had a recoil pad installed. But in my mind, the light weight is a very redeeming quality.

I think this rifle was best chambered in 243 Win or 6mm Rem. 350 RM was nuts. but depending on what you want to use it for, I bet you could load it down to something reasonable.

Lots of guys love their Model 600s! Me included.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 01/23/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the model 600/660 platform. Where I hunt it connects more dots than a Kimber Montana or Barrett Fieldcraft could hope to. They're so unbelievably handy, maneuverable, and accurate. As for the cartridge I've had it in the Remington 673 and it is a powerhouse! I use it's ballistic twin the 35 Whelen now. I wouldn't let a rifle like that get away nor would there be many rifles I would reach past it to grab when going hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I have a Model 600 in 308 Win. I replaced the plastic trigger guard, but you don't have to. The alumuinum trigger guards are $110. I bedded the aciton and first 2" of barrel. Shoots sub MOA with hand loads I worked up, which is a downloaded 125 gr bullet. The veloicty yields the equivalent of a Win 243 factory round. It is a very nice shooter, very short and handy in a deer blind. One of the 2 rifles I use most often. I would not use that load for elk, but for my hunting spot the shots are all 70 to 100 yards and the whitetails and pigs drop when hit, which pretty much always.

Now with 308 Win full factory ammo it is rather punishing as it has a plastice butt pad and the gun is very light weight. `I would not want to fire it with the 350 RM unless it at least had a recoil pad installed. But in my mind, the light weight is a very redeeming quality.

I think this rifle was best chambered in 243 Win or 6mm Rem. 350 RM was nuts. but depending on what you want to use it for, I bet you could load it down to something reasonable.

Nuts is a relative thing. I got a Browning Xbolt 375 H&H in for my son while he was in Iraq. I quickly found out although I could shoot the 8 pounds with scope rifle well I didn't enjoy shooting it. He's home now and yesterday he fired that rifle 15 times and was breaking claybirds at 100 yards with it and he said he just loves shooting it. Not everybody needs a 7mm-08 for their "big gun".

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

CVMW sells the best alloy after-market 600/660 trigger guard for $95 on eBay.

Willie Manning posts on this site as CVMW and he might even give you a 24-Hour Campfire discount if you ask.

I have bought several 600s in 350 RM if the price was right and sold every one of them to people in AK.

S
Sergio Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the info, my floorplate was warped and just took your advice and got the aluminum one from eBay. My rifle has a weaver swing to the side mount, I see where I can tighten the swivel screws and keep it solid. Should I swap the mounts or keep what I have.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The 600/660 had stock inletting problems. I have a 600 350 mag and really like it. I put an aluminum floorplate/trigger guard on it. I have a washer under the rear of the trigger guard due to the poor inletting. Shoots great. The poor inletting is why so many plastic floorplates are warped.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Personally I would change the mount. I'm old enough to have bought a 600 new in 1966. Scopes have come a long way since then and there is less of a need to have back up sights. If you really want to be able to use the open sights on the rifle I would go with a one piece Weaver base and quick release rings.

My 600 was in 223 and has been a constant companion for 53 yrs, pelt hunting, doing control work, small game hunting and even a little informal club benchrest matches. The barrel was shot out long ago and is now a 6x45mm and still going strong.

If you like the 600 the Model 7 is everything the 600 should have been in the first place.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sergio
Thanks for the info, my floorplate was warped and just took your advice and got the aluminum one from eBay. My rifle has a weaver swing to the side mount, I see where I can tighten the swivel screws and keep it solid. Should I swap the mounts or keep what I have.

I don't care for swing-over scope mounts, so if it was mine, I'd change them.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I sure like mine:) The left one is a 6.5 Mag that was my dad's rifle, I used it to take my first deer. Its a hand full to shoot but accurate, right one is a .308 my girlfriends mom gave me.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like 'em. Two 350's & 35 Rem [Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don’t like the dogleg bolt and never understood the vent rib on a rifle barrel?
Other than those items they’re ok.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The stocks are a rather poor design and there's not nearly enough magbox to do anything,so they are rather poor ratio of felt recoil to performance.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Isn't the current model 7 the same action with a straight bolt handle and a better stock with no rib?

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might wanna work on your Sales Pitch..................(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the triggers. Might check to see if your's ever went back for the replacement years back.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.