Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by LouisB
Did they ever pay "US" back dollar for dollar?

Did Japan ever pay back the 2.1 Billion Dollars the U.S. taxpayers spent ( $22 Billion in todays money) to rebuilt corporate Japan after they bombed Pearl Harbor?

This^^^^^^

Plus Japan's contribution to the United States does not come close to the amount we are and have been paying to protect Japan and have troops their and in that regions for decades, and decades to come - all after they attacked us in WWII. We have spent billions upon billions of tax dollars on Japan for defense and will continue to do so. And every time a Toyota vehicle is purchased, even if it its made here, the profit goes to Japan, never to return because we have a net trade deficit with them. So, if you think you are saying a big FU to GM because of their bailout by buying a Toyota, Nissan, etc., you are not and really need to look at the big picture.

Last edited by Woodzloafer; 01/23/19.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Most people suck.
If a company has a bunch of workers..............most of them suck.
Just the way it is.

Worked for GM, got laid off in 2008.Majority of folks in management have sold their soul to make the next mortgage payment.

Top engineer (great guy) ran into at lunch last week............asked me if I'd consider coming back.

Even if I calculated the money lost, and they somehow made reparation...........I'd have zero security.
I don't kiss azz, suck dick or play golf.
Just do my job the best I can.

Wasn't good enough before, they can rot in fuggin hell this go around.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Geithner did protect the union pensions, not the salaried.
"Greater good" he called it.
Still battling in the courts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When the dust settled on the 2009 GM bailout, the US taxpayers were on the hook for 15 billion dollars. That was about the democrats buying union votes with my money, nothing more. When my old 2008 suburban finally bites the dust, it will have been the last GM vehicle to ever sit in my driveway.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not really "news". It's called corporatism. It's been around for ages.

Toyota wants to sell cars in the US of A, they build plants here

Sig and Beretta want to sell pistols in this country, they build plants here.

GM wants that HUGE market in China's booming economy, they build plants there. if that Chinese market brings them more profit at the expense of their US market, oh well. That's their corporate responsibility.

There's no morals involved, no patriotism, no ties necessarily to the home country.

Remember Rollerball, the first movie? Six corporations, no nations. Like 1984, meant to be entertainment of sorts..........turning into prophesy it seems.

Geno

As much as I hate GM products and the p h u cking of the US taxpayer I have to totally agree.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bugs4
When the dust settled on the 2009 GM bailout, the US taxpayers were on the hook for 15 billion dollars. That was about the democrats buying union votes with my money, nothing more. When my old 2008 suburban finally bites the dust, it will have been the last GM vehicle to ever sit in my driveway.

Oh and topping off the pension funds of course. Of course the taxpayers most who do not have lavish pensions financed that .

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Oh and topping off the pension funds of course. Of course the taxpayers most who do not have lavish pensions financed that .

What do you consider a lavish pension?

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Well now that were able to divide us and we are fighting over who was at fault, Management vs Union, they again have won the "War". It is the SAME pattern every time, create the problem, have a solution ready in advance that only favors the problem creator, use the Media to create side A and then create side B so the people will fight between themselves over a false paradigm. They win again and we divide and destroy ourselves. Damn I wish you guys could see or understand this tactic.
This has been their MO from the very beginning and use it in every aspect of our life. And why not, we fall for it every damn time. frown

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Oh and topping off the pension funds of course. Of course the taxpayers most who do not have[b] lavish pensions[/] financed that .

70% of what your original pay was or more. The fact is that they have pensions ajnd they were financed by the US taxpayer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guess I look at this a little different than some here. A lot of people even company’s ask for different things. I don’t blame the ones asking . I blame the ones who give in. In this case your congressman and president. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Oh and topping off the pension funds of course. Of course the taxpayers most who do not have[b] lavish pensions[/] financed that .

70% of what your original pay was or more. The fact is that they have pensions ajnd they were financed by the US taxpayer.

Damn, I wish...

I'll be retiring this spring with 34 years of actual service, 37 years when foundry time is added. My pre-tax pension from GM will be $2000. Social Security will bump that up to almost double. GM doesn't contribute to my 401 so that's on me. Now when you consider that I've grossed over 100k for approx half my years of employment at GM the 70% is a tad overestimated.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I guess we've all read the horror stories about union settlements for displaced workers that amount to keeping their salaries for showing up to do nothing but play cards and smoke dope. Unions might have been a necessary thing when they were devised but they have devolved into an arm of the democrat party and they are provably corrupt. Companies took the easiest route
dring good times and gave in to unreasonable union demands that they are now held to account for. Government protects the unions because it is a revolving door. The unions vote for big government.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
If my posts seem somewhat convoluted it's because I find that I cannot correct any errors in my writing without loosing the entire post. It's only on this forum that it's happening so I'm not sure how to correct it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bobinpa
If I live to be 100 I won't understand the GM bashing.....

Nobody ever complains about the other 979 companies that got bailed out, they just refer to it as the GM bailout while they are likely carrying a credit card from a bank that was bailed out. Bail out the banks=good, bail out GM=bad confused
When we bombed them in WWll they were running around in rickshaws and living in grass huts.... our money and technology after the war put them where they are. I don't remember them inventing much, but they do copy and improve very well.
In the 70s or 80s, they didn't even know how to mine coal. They were still hand digging and loading, very primitive for such an advanced country don't ya think....so they came here and toured mines and took pictures and made notes and hired Americans to go there and teach them, and now they are a top producer. Since they are so magnificent, I wonder why they needed us???
Foreign manufacturers come here to build vehicles so they don't have to ship them here, they just ship the money home and everyone welcomes the idea. crazy GM goes there to make it easier to get into their market and everyone hates GM. Maybe if the union workers weren't so good at playing hide and seek for a grand or so a week they could be more
competitive and GM wouldn't have to do this.

I firmly blame the GM management for running the company into the ground and needing a bailout, so why penalize the workers by refusing the bailout? Would it have been better to hurt the workers???? People can't be dumb enough to think that if they don't buy GM they are hurting the management.... Corporate management will always take care of themselves first, so if you don't buy GM you are hurting the workers, but that's ok.... somebody in Japan needs a raise anyhow.

Unless I'm mistaken, which is possible, the video is from 2011 or 2012. But that's ok, we'll act like it was made yesterday and this is some new announcement, that way we can all start the "GM sucks and my Tundra is awesome" chant again.... By the way, I think the biggest motor offered in a Tundra is a 5.7 liter, which is a 350 cu in v-8, which GM introduced in 1967 or 68. So Toyota is only about 40-50 years behind, but at least they are better....Geez, who can brag about a 350???? The motor in my current truck is literally 45% bigger than that... I guess a Tundra is ok if you want to pick up a bag of grass seed or something like that but if you need an actual HD truck, their biggest motor is only a 350, just buy a damn car or one of those fancy crossover thingys.... whistle

This^^^^^^^^^^ right on the money.One lemming hates GM and the rest follow.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rainshot
If my posts seem somewhat convoluted it's because I find that I cannot correct any errors in my writing without loosing the entire post. It's only on this forum that it's happening so I'm not sure how to correct it.

You ain’t doing too bad.
Grins

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LouisB
Did they ever pay "US" back dollar for dollar?

Yes! GM paid back the Obama orchestrated LOANS dollar for dollar. The Obama orchestrated stock deal had no provision for losses, just like all any common stock you might buy.

Yet somehow, in the little pea brains of far to many that post here, it's all GM's fault and they won't buy another GM vehicle. And there is another group that posts here - those that have a vested interest in Japanese brands and try to promote their products by bashing American brands.

A video from 2012 - laughable.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Toyota is just another name for chebby.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'd buy 10 more gm trucks before i'd ever consider buying a Toyota.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow.

Rule 1: Corporations exist to make money for their stockholders.
Corollary A: If more money can be made by cutting jobs, do so.
Corollary B: If more money can be made by closing manufacturing plants, do so.
Corollary C: If more money can be made from outsourcing jobs to sub contractors, do so.
Corollary D: If more money can be made sourcing products from other nations, do so.
Corollary E: If more money can be made by building plants in distant nations, do so

There are additional Corollaries, but no other Rules.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The problem with GM and other car makers moves to China is the transfer of technology. China gave GM a sweetheart deal mostly to get their chassis manufacturing technology. China will screw all of them and us once they’ve mastered all the technology they’ve either stolen or bought from our traitors. It’s suicide to take your trade secrets to China.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.