Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hello,
This seems to be the place for the most Sako 85 experience. I hate to bring up a sore topic, but I will try to be concise. I am interested in a Bavarian Carbine in 6.5x55, exclusively. I am very well aware of the ejection issues. I do not want this to be a bitch fest so please refrain from comment unless you have experience specific to the Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55 Swede.

Question 1. Has anyone had ejection issues specifically with a Swede? After many hours of interweb searching I cannot find an instance of problems with this caliber.

Question 2. I know this is primarily a Medium action issue, but is it a problem around the size of the action, or is it the length of the cartridge?

I’m aware of scads of issues from the 30-06 and .270 length cases and similar, which is a M action. The Swede is also built on an M action, but the case is much shorter.

I’m obviously trying to determine the likelihood of me having a problem with a Swede. Not interested in a big bell scope on high rings or twisting the scope, or other jury rigs. This will wear a standard type scope, mounted as low as possible. Probably a Swaro Z3 3-9x36 on low Optilock Ringmounts (ideally the 1 piece, or the two piece on Xtra low rings). And I’m only interested in the Swede. I know a .260 rem is ballisticly similar and on a smaller action, less likely to have a problem, but it doesn’t blow my skirt up. I have my heart set on the Swede, and if I can’t make it work with this type of scope, I’ll likely just pass altogether.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/22/19.
BP-B6

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have the exact same gun, and no problem with ejection, sporting medium rings. Can take a photo if you so desire. Think it's a 40 bell on that scope.

Mine REALLY likes 125 Partitions.

Last edited by RedAstrachan; 01/22/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well,

Since my Bavarian in 6.5 x 55 SE

[Linked Image]

is a half stock,

and since my Bavarian Carbines are chambered for

[Linked Image]

the 308 Win. and the 30-06 Springfield,

you'd probably not be interested in my experience!

ya' snooze ya' lose!

Quein Sabe?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Heck no GWB, I’m very interested. The action on the half stock is the same. Any issues? What scope and mounts?
Just curious too, on that 308, why does it have stock cross studs and the 06 doesn’t?

ANd RedAstrachan, Why did you decide on medium rings? Did you try the low first and had issues and then went to medium?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/22/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Being as I'm a lefty for the most part, I do things upside down and backwards. The 6.5 x 55 and the 30-06 have cross-bolts.

IIRC there are six different iterations/receiver lengths for the Sako 85 rifles.

https://choose.sako.fi/global

The 308 Win is the "small" length,

while the 6.5 x 55 SE and the 30-06 are the Medium length

Here is a short vid I did on my 308 Bavrian a while back while this controversy was raging.

I've owned Sakos in
Riihimaki
l461
S491
l579
l61r

AII
AIV
AV
m995

I usually use scopes with a 40mm to a max of 50mm objectives.

I've never had an ejection problem with any of mine.

Just lucky I guess!

If I can manage the time I'll do a short vid on the 6.5 x 55 half stock, and see what happens!

ya!

GWB

IC B2

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks. Thats helpful GWB. Interesting how the 6.5 and the 06 have cross bolts while the 308 doesn’t. Wonder the logic behind that. Stiffen up the longer action I suppose.

So to my question #2 above. Do you think tthis ejection problem is an action length issue or a cartridge length issue?

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I had a 6.5 X 55 Bavarian also.
It had ejection problems when I mounted the scope in low rings.

All the 85's Ive owned that were for long or magnum cartridges had to have the scopes mounted higher than I liked for reliable ejection, this also was a problem with an A7 in 7mm mag.
Forget about mounting a dialing scope with exposed windage knobs on any 85 or A7 unless you have a neck like a giraffe.

A 7-08 finnlight ejected fine w/ control low mounts and a leupold 3X9 (about the lowest you can get for an 85 )

I've quit buying sako 85's and sold all the ones I owned. Nice rifles but until they change the ejection system I'm not buying anymore.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by oldmodel
I had a 6.5 X 55 Bavarian also.
It had ejection problems when I mounted the scope in low rings.

All the 85's Ive owned that were for long or magnum cartridges had to have the scopes mounted higher than I liked for reliable ejection, this also was a problem with an A7 in 7mm mag.
Forget about mounting a dialing scope with exposed windage knobs on any 85 or A7 unless you have a neck like a giraffe.

A 7-08 finnlight ejected fine w/ control low mounts and a leupold 3X9 (about the lowest you can get for an 85 )

I've quit buying sako 85's and sold all the ones I owned. Nice rifles but until they change the ejection system I'm not buying anymore.

Well darn it! That is the first circumstance I have heard of with a Swede not ejecting properly. I guess they are not immune. And I guess that answers my question in that it is more of an action length issue and not a cartridge length issue. That’s really too bad. I’d love to own that gun in that caliber, but it’s not worth a $2000 gamble.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Oh and GWB, I’d still like to know what scope mounting systems you are using and at what height, to not have any problems.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have to be honest...it's oldman-itis and I had just forgotten what was on there. Decidedly low mounts...with only a few mm clearance. Think they're Leupold rings, probably taken off of one of my other Sakos when I purchased this one. The scope is a VX-III 2.5x8x36. I haven't had any ejection issues. I do have some Sakos with medium and high mounts, and to be honest, all of them are fine by me. Some had to be high to clear sights like on a Battue, while others are set perhaps a bit higher than they need to, but what I had at the time or found for the right price. My biggest beef is stock length...Sako must assume all hunters hunt in Texas wearing T-shirts. Us northern hunters have an inch or more insulation at the shoulder much of the time, and have to fight to get the rifle to the shoulder, then yank to get proper eye relief for a good sight picture. Some of my rifles are youth or women's models just to overcome this problem.

The target was a my and my stepdaughter's three shot groups prior hunting. She wants a rifle that shoots like mine! She was shooting a Ruger 7mm-08 and mine was this 6.5 with the 125 Partitions, both at 100 yards. 44.5 grains of VihtaVouri 560. I have some rugers that shoot just as well though. And this with German #1 posts...I like that reticle for thick cedar swamp. One hundred yards in that mess would be impossible, but seeing crosshairs is vital, particularly in dim light with dim eyes.

Hope this helps. It's a very pleasant hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Red. She’s a beauty, with the groups to prove it!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ok here goes.......

First the vid.

The scope that is currently mounted on this Bavarian half-stock is a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 42. Like the previous gentleman, I do not remember what brand the rings are. I measure the centerline of the 300 mm. tube to be +/- 1.25" above the dovetail groove.

[Linked Image]

I would consider them to be the equivalent of high rings.

The other two 85's that I have in house are both Bavarian Carbines, one the "S" short action (308 win) and the other a "M" medium action. I do not own any 85's with any of the four other action choices so I cannot speak in reference to issues in regards to their ejection.

[Linked Image]

The ring/bases on the 30-06 Springfield are low Opti-locks

The rings/bases on the 308 Win. are Leupold WAM's.

I have no ejection issues with either.

[Linked Image]

100 yds.

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Well darn it! That is the first circumstance I have heard of with a Swede not ejecting properly. I guess they are not immune. And I guess that answers my question in that it is more of an action length issue and not a cartridge length issue. That’s really too bad. I’d love to own that gun in that caliber, but it’s not worth a $2000 gamble.

Ya'

I'd hate to see a fellow make a 20 Benjamin mistake.

Mine lovingly pre-enjoyed,( 6.5 x 55 SE half-stock) base and rings included, but no scope would follow you home for $1,500 delivered CONUS!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/23/19.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Ya'

I'd hate to see a fellow make a 20 Benjamin mistake.

Mine lovingly pre-enjoyed,( 6.5 x 55 SE half-stock) base and rings included, but no scope would follow you home for $1,500 delivered CONUS!

GWB

Oh goodness! That’s a real hard one to turn down, and I sure appreciate the offer, but I’ve got my heart set on a full stock Bavarian.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had both the 6.5x55 and a 338 Federal in the 85 Bavarian Carbine. I don't remember what height rings were on them (they were Sako rings just high enough to clear objective/barrel).

I never had ejection problems with either caliber and incidentally they both shot really well! And, in the 6.5, that bullet could be seated out pretty far.

In hindsight - what else! - those were two rifles that I should still have.

Terry

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Euro-Optic may still have a few. Gun Broker and GunsAmerica Also!
Chances are you will have to pay +/-$200 more for the Bavarian Carbine.

ya!

GWB

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Geedubya"s scopes on the 308 and the swede are mounted pretty high - higher than I like.
I'm sure they work as stated, I had 4 sako 85's at one time plus an L579 - an AV and an A&7.

They 85's and the A7 did not eject properly with low mounted scopes, ( same 3 lug action ) throwing the empties up into the body of the scope with at least 50% falling back into the action.
I also found out that a 30mm scope or a scope with an exposed dialing windage turret would not work at all.

Nicely built rifles, accurate but not worth the price to me until they fix the ejection problem, which they know about as its been a common problem since the 85;s came out.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well since I’m not having much luck with typical searches, I’m bringing this back up with a long shot. Any of you with either CZ 550 FS or the Bavarian carbine in 6.5 Swede (and without ejection problems) interested in selling? I’m a motivated buyer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Finnlight 85 in 6.5 Swede, ejection is funky and just about every third round ejects straight up, hits the scope and ends up facing backwards on top of the magazine. The rifle is almost a one hole rifle with with Nosler 140 Accubonds, I very seldom need a 4th shot in the deer woods of PA and NY and the accuracy is great. The scope is a Zeiss 3.5-10x44, I'm not sure what R&B's are on it or the height.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
I have a Finnlight 85 in 6.5 Swede, ejection is funky and just about every third round ejects straight up, hits the scope and ends up facing backwards on top of the magazine. The rifle is almost a one hole rifle with with Nosler 140 Accubonds, I very seldom need a 4th shot in the deer woods of PA and NY and the accuracy is great. The scope is a Zeiss 3.5-10x44, I'm not sure what R&B's are on it or the height.

Yes, I fondled a Finlight in 270 at the gun shop the other day. Very nice fit and finish and agile in the hands. But I can’t for the life of me understand why Sako’s engineers put the ejector blade at 6 o’clock. The first thing I did when I got home was open the safe and examine the bolt of one of my models 70s. Ejector blade at 8 o’clock. That just makes so much more sense! In all honesty, I’m kind of leaning against the Sako and towards the CZ, just based on principle alone. I really do not like to reward stupid with my hard-earned money. I could get over it for the right price and with the previous owner attesting to its proper function, But that design still leaves me shaking my head.

It’s also been how many years now since the rollout of the model 85, Sako is obviously aware of the issue, yet no fix or update? Lame!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
451 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.