Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I'm still undecided on scoping out this gun. Maybe i can get some great advice here. I'm doing fine with iron sights, but might have more confidence and a little more range with a scope.

I have a Leupold 2-7x33 VXII I''m thinking of topping it with.

I'm really undecided about the bases or rings to use. I really like the simplicity of the Talley one piece base/rings. I'm wondering if i go with the low, will i see my front sight in the scope?

Maybe someone has another idea or suggestion on the rings and bases. Thanks in advance for the input, Robinhedd

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I think your scope is perfect for a 35. I have leupold base and low rings on mine. There may be better choices.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The scope will be a good match to the rifle. I like Weaver Top Mounts, but that is a personal failing. whistle

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Talley Warne one piece aluminum base or Talley Warne two piece steel bases and Weaver Tip Off rings. This will allow you to quickly remove the scope and go to the irons if the scope goes bad. All my lever guns are set up so I can yank the scope quickly and swap to open sights if the need arises. My bolt guns with irons sights are set up similarly with Talley or Warne QD bases & rings.

Warne not Talley for the Marlins. My bad.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product/a997-marlin-lever-actions/

https://warnescopemounts.com/product/m864864/

Last edited by magshooter1; 01/25/19. Reason: Corrected info

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

you may see the front sight.......otherwise good scope choice......

this SS 44 Marlin has a Weaver 1-3x20 on it.....perfect for me........

IIRC...rings are Burris Signature Zee....Weaver base

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I'm almost tempted to put a picatinny rail on it for the base, just so i can get the best possible eye relief/scope position. Midway sells a rail for a 336.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by robinhedd
I'm almost tempted to put a picatinny rail on it for the base, just so i can get the best possible eye relief/scope position. Midway sells a rail for a 336.

That would be the direction I'd go, but my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Only way to go.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Only way to go.

Ha! Thanks for the advice men, I ordered a rail a couple days ago. Can’t wait to get the scope mounted and sighted in.
I killed a buck last weekend with this rifle, iron sights. The first shot was a miss at 150 +-yards , the second shot was almost perfect @ right around 175 +- yards. I aimed right at the top of his back, hit him center mass. Shooting the Hornady 200gr leverevolution ammo. I’m gonna put a rangefinder on those distances next time I hunt from that tree. Robinhedd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of the compact scopes are rather short in length. They are "compact' after all. On my 336, for instance, I mounted a Leupold 2-7x27 compact scope. When mounted using a standard Leupold base I cannot slide the scope back far enough in the rings and have to lean my eyeball way way far forward to use the scope. No workie for me. A full sized VX-2 would have been fine. In fact, I had one on it and just wanted a smaller scope on the 336.

So I used a Weaver base and ring set up. The rings on this set up are placed further back by may 3/4". Much better for me.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got an older long-tube Leupold M8-4X on my Marlin, with plenty of eye relief, and it's comfortable to use thataway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here is a Leupold 2x7 on a Marlin

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold VX Freedom in 1.5-5x20

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i like the talley lightweight extra lows and a leupold 1.5.-5x20 on my marlins. it fits the gun better IMO than the 32mm bell scopes. nice and short and plenty of magnification and FOV.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Way back when, Dad bought a Marlin 336 and one each for my brother and me. Mine was in 35 Rem. Dad and the brother went with fixed 4 power scopes, whereas I went with iron sights. I found that shooting at dusk was way tougher for me than for them. Eventually I added a 4 power, and my deer killing efficiency increased considerably. So, scope it, but more than 5 power is wasted on a 150 yard gun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

My 35 Marlin wears a Simmons 2-7X scope that is sturdy and bright. It holds the same zero year after year.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a scope/receiver sight arrangement I have used on my 336's. My eyes don't like iron sights much anymore but I still like to have them around incase my scope takes a hike. My brother came up with this solution years ago and it works great!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Harry
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have Weavers on mine, the scope that's mounted is a 1.5-5 leupold, another spare set of Weaver rings holds a previously zeroed Weaver 3X fixed scope, I like them both on that rifle, and Weavers can be removed with any coin if trouble/equipment failure arises in the field.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I was on my high school shooting team 65 odd years ago, I could out shoot most scope sighted rifles out to 100 yds, but that was then...NOW...I can't see doodly without my glasses and I CAN'T see open sights with glasses so if I want to precisely place my shots I have to have a scope...PERIOD.

Midway is chocked full of scopes, mounts, rings etc...buy the cheapest Weaver mount/base and a good mid range 1-4 x 1.5-5 or 6 x scope...1 power is perfect for close in bushy stuff and 4 to 6 x will get you out to 150-200 yds outwith a problem and even work in the bush if you forget to set your scope x...or take your pick of those already proffered, the work OK also. I have a 4-12 on my 356 Win...GREAT for working up loads but a bit big so for hunting I swap on a 6 x Leopold or 3-9 depending.

Luck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the most part I don't want a scope on an exposed hammer lever gun with a magazine tube and my 1895 Marlin 45-70 an Mod. 94 Win. .44 mag. wear receiver sights with a "ghost ring" aperture. At 68 I know I could shoot smaller groups at 100 yards, but the rifles are carried on hikes and camping trips and I use scoped bolt guns for hunting. The slab sided rifles carry best for me with out a scope and muzzle down on my off side. Yup, I am aware of my muzzle and keep them taped.

I have Skinner rear sights on the 1895 and like them. They also make one with a cut out for Warne or Talley med height rings. I may get that some day. I think my straight tubed Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 with the German #4 reticle would be a good 150 yard moose and bear set up with those Kodiak Super Bonded 350 or 400 grain bullets from Alaska Bullet Works. I also think my Trijicon MRO would work well at the same range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.