Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by viking
Would that be similar to a 257 Roberts ?

My 25 Creedmoor IS a .257 Roberts.

Here we go again?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The next thing will be a 26 Creedmoor

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 26 Creedmoor will be a smash hit with the decimal and metric-challenged Creedtards...... Easy to skip the 25 Creedmoor since it doesn't exist commercially.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Call me crazy, but I’d really like see a short action .277, that’s not a wildcat. I really think a factory Creedmoor necked downtown to .277 would sell.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .29 Creedmoor (otherwise known as the 7.35mm Creedmoor, or B29.1) smokes them all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The .29 Creedmoor (otherwise known as the 7.35mm Creedmoor, or B29.1) smokes them all.

Shooting Carcano bullets?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Of course not! Only the very latest high-G7's....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm glad I'm not still in the gun business...I'm SURE there will be guys asking for the .29 Creed tomorrow...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by SMACK; 01/23/19.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I don't understand why there are any creedmoor rounds at all when there are better cartridges going/long been "obsolete"...regardlesss the 6 and 6.5 are both great.

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Lmao

Last edited by WAM; 01/23/19.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

the cartridge family trees’ are getting to inbred

Creed parent based on the 30 TC, which is. Based on the 250 Savage (AI version of course)... the original poster even mentioned it...

So a 250 creed = Grandaddy ? With a new name... interesting the difference between “parent case” and a “Based on case”

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Reinventing the wheel to keep the industry afloat...

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Really no need for anything new.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Buzz412
Really no need for anything new.

And there hasn't been for what, 80 years or so?

Every industry has to keep introducing new and improved products so that people will buy them and the buy/sell cycle will keep going and everybody will benefit in some form.

I love to try new things!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't understand why there are any creedmoor rounds at all when there are better cartridges going/long been "obsolete"...regardlesss the 6 and 6.5 are both great.

Introducing the CBHS official spokespuppet. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Poor, harried, Mule Deer has been over and over this, without much success; the Luddites are nothing if not dedicated.

Lots of old stuff is, indeed wonderful, but often requires custom guns or barrels to bring their goodness out. The new rounds are ready to go, off the shelf, with decent to really great guns and ammo only a click or two away. Why that makes some folks crazy is a mystery, especially when you factor in all the fuss made about the shortcomings of the factory versions of the older ones, I give you the .260 as the prime example. Once a round gets off the ground "crooked", it's tough to put that genie back in the bottle because of all the stuff made to the original specs. Embrace the good stuff, or ignore it and soldier on with what you have. Last time I checked, there were no jack-booted thugs going door-to-door conficsating, .260s, Swedes, Rigbys, or .243s.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pappy,

It's okay, a while back I copied my last explanation for the Creedmoor Luddites in my document file, so I could post it anytime one of them feels, once again, to question the entire 6.5 Creedmoor phenomenon:

The 6.5 Creedmoor did NOT appear 2-3 years ago, and become popular because of "marketing hype." Instead it was introduced in 2007 as as target round. Then some hunters started using it, and discovered it worked very well, in fact better than already established 6.5mm rounds withe the same basic ballistics.

This was because Hornady made very accurate factory ammo which didn't cost much, and the first factory hunting rifles were very accurate, and not just with handloads but that factory ammo. This is very different than what Remington did with the .260, with it's 1-9 twist and often mediocre factory ammo--that after a few years you couldn't buy (if you could find it) in anything except the 140 Core-Lokt.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also VERY different than the 6.5x55, because 6.5x55 chambers and actions have varied so widely since 1892 that nobody can make factory ammo that works anywhere nearly as good as 6.5 Creedmoor ammo in various 6.5x55 rifles. This is a major point that many rifle loonies miss, because they assume EVERYBODY handloads, and probably for a custom rifle, or at least a "tuned" factory rifle.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is VERY accurate in just about any rifle, and there's a wide variety of pretty inexpensive factory ammo available loaded with an incredibly wide variety of both match and hunting bullets. I know all this because of having owned many 6.5 rifles over the years, including several factory and custom .260's and 6.5x55's (as well as a bunch of other 6.5's), plus actually owning, shooting and hunting with several 6.5 Creedmoors. In fact the very first 100-yard group I fired with my first 6.5 Creedmoor, a factory Ruger, back in 2010, was with Hornady factory ammo. It measured around .6 inch--for 5 shots, not the typical three shots most hunters shoot today.

All of this also why the 6.5 Creedmoor has become one of the standard world-wide cartridges chambered in factory rifles, which means not just in America but Europe and elsewhere. One of my friends is a long-time South African professional hunter who also owns a big sporting goods store. He reports that around 80% of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors--because they work, whether with factory ammo or handloads.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think there are Gunpowder Luddites too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, yes, in fact I had a not-very-interesting conversation with one about three weeks ago.

I'd also like to add the following to my above post:

While I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm a gun writer. My job is to try new stuff (or even old stuff) to see how it works, in order to explain to readers its pros and cons.

That's why I tried the 6.5 Creedmoor, along with various other new cartridges that have appeared over the decades. Often I wait a year or two after the introduction, to see if they're still hanging around. In the instance of the 6.5 Creedmoor I waited three years, until 2010--and it's far more popular now than then. In the interim I've fooled with around eight 6.5 Creedmoor rifles, half of them purchased by me, so know far more about it than those who've never even fired one.

During that period I also didn't sell my custom 6.5x55 and acquired another .260 (which I still have), and also did not sell my .257 Roberts or .270. Again, that's because I'm a gun writer whose job is to keep investigating and learning--and bullets, powder and even rifling twists continually appear that make even very old cartridges work a little better.

Since 2010, when I took my first big game with the 6.5 Creedmoor (a pronghorn) I've used the following cartridges to take a bunch of other big game animals, both in North America and Africa: .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, .257 Roberts, .25-06 Remington, .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 6.5x57R Mauser, 6.5x55 Norwegian/Swedish, 6.5 PRC, .270 Winchester, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, .338 Winchester Magnum, 9.3x62 Mauser and .416 Rigby. (Oh, and a few more with the 6.5 Creedmoor, as well observing hunting companions who used the 6.5 Creedmoor on game from mule deer to elk.)

Guess what? Those cartridges all worked. Are they then better than the 6.5 Creedmoor, or just as good? It's not my job to answer that question--though apparently it IS the job of Internet experts who've never fired a Creedmoor.

Many of these are also convinced that some ancient round (perhaps even an obscure wildcat) or powder or bullet they started using years ago is all ANYBODY needs. That's a pretty common among rifle loonies, and if it makes them happy, then why not?

But apparently it doesn't make all of them happy, or even most of 'em. Instead it makes them grumpy, apparently because the rest of the world doesn't consider them THE expert on every aspect of hunting rifles, because they've killed animals with their favorite cartridge, powder or bullet.

Guess what? I don't really care what somebody else uses to kill big game. Once again, that's not my job. Instead my job is to relay information I've confirmed at the range or in the field,. I am NOT somebody who's believes the a 6.5 Creedmoor is the best hunting round ever, just somebody who has actually used the cartridge enough to understand why it's so popular.

John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.