Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do that with the ones we live trap too FieldGrade but usually they get riled up and spray before we get much further than the truck. The tarp protects me, sometimes, and when it doesn't I have to air stuff out for a time.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had to air out my live trap for several years to get rid of the smell. Had something setting off my traps at an abandoned house. Set up the live trap so only the rear of the bait pan would close the door. Farthest from the open door. Had something in it but it was still dark. Was up wind as I drove the pickup to it so I could use the headlights. Got out and the skunk sprayed. Saw it in the headlights and dodged the cloud. Being the bright young man I was I shot it in the head and she sprayed again. Missed me but the trap was past rank by then. I learned my lesson. Go up wind and shoot them in the ribs! Rusty

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
I had to air out my live trap for several years to get rid of the smell. Had something setting off my traps at an abandoned house. Set up the live trap so only the rear of the bait pan would close the door. Farthest from the open door. Had something in it but it was still dark. Was up wind as I drove the pickup to it so I could use the headlights. Got out and the skunk sprayed. Saw it in the headlights and dodged the cloud. Being the bright young man I was I shot it in the head and she sprayed again. Missed me but the trap was past rank by then. I learned my lesson. Go up wind and shoot them in the ribs! Rusty

I've not found a spot to shoot skunks that they won't spray.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rustyzipper

I've not found a spot to shoot skunks that they won't spray.

Ditto......I've heard all the old wives tales but they're just that as far as I'm concerned.

The only advantage I found in shooting em in the lungs is you're not behind em.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I just use a skunk trap and drown them.

Works good.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've done that with a live trap too Jim...

Carefully cover the trap with a tarp....gently carry down to river...glug glug.

I'm guessing you use a stock tank though.

Pest control's a piece of cake compared to dealing to the ones I catch in my dam Cat traps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I've done that with a live trap too Jim...

Carefully cover the trap with a tarp....gently carry down to river...glug glug.

I'm guessing you use a stock tank though.

Pest control's a piece of cake compared to the ones I catch in my dam Cat traps.

My buddy, Daryl Livingston (RIP) used to have a 55 gal barrel filled with water for that purpose. He said he never had one spray that way.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you can find them Remington made a segmented HP called C-BEE's That works real good on raccoons in and around buildings, much better than the Quiets. I keep a single barrel 410 loaded with handloaded #2 shot by the door for the porch cougars

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 20 years ago a neighbor had raccoons move into a utility shed attached to the side of her house. She didn't want anyone to shoot the "poor things" but she wanted them gone. I had her plug in a radio out there and leave it on 24 hrs. a day. Took about two days but they finally left and never came back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
About 20 years ago a neighbor had raccoons move into a utility shed attached to the side of her house. She didn't want anyone to shoot the "poor things" but she wanted them gone. I had her plug in a radio out there and leave it on 24 hrs. a day. Took about two days but they finally left and never came back.

Must have been tuned to NPR.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.