Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Something for a 70 year quail hunting homo to haul his wife's cat to the vet with on opening day.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chevy's compact truck was called the Chevy Luv. The El Camino was basically a Chevelle station wagon with a pickup bed. Ford had the Ranchero.
A buddy of mine had one of those little Luvs. Good running little truck for hauling coon dogs and such. I know it was a straight 4 popper w/ a 5 speed, but don't remember much else about it.
Don't know too much about the Ford Courier, but another buddy had a little Dodge, D50 IIRC.
That thing would scream.
I can see the market for a compact truck. Not that I want one, but there's lots of times it'd be handy.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The S10 was a compact. The older Tacoma was a compact. The Ranger......

Anymore they are all midsize plus.

Nobody is filling the market that was built by the Toy, S10, Ranger etc.........

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This sounds smaller than all those. I can picture a couple lesbians hauling their signs to the protest while their eco-boost Ford does 38 in a 55. Hopefully Ford designs it so an F350 front bumper hits right at windshield level.

LOL
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My favorite small pickup from years past was the Isuzu Pup. 4 cylinder diesel, 35 to 40 mpg. Every jippo tree feller seemed to have one! Five gallons from the skidder got you to work for a week!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bring back the Subaru brat. Sixteen year old me, and a buddy took one antelope hunting. Two bucks and four does in the bed of that thing. Was a two hour drive from home. Filled up when we left and again upon return home. That was back before I knew anything about anything. We had those hot antelope carcasses stacked in the bed of that thing. A gruesome sight to be sure.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Selling price?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You never know, maybe manufacturers are now looking at gradually replacing full size model lines of trucks with smaller size models as they have the formerly full size models of passenger cars and SUVs and keeping their profit margin relatively the same.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Chevy's compact truck was called the Chevy Luv. The El Camino was basically a Chevelle station wagon with a pickup bed. Ford had the Ranchero.
A buddy of mine had one of those little Luvs. Good running little truck for hauling coon dogs and such. I know it was a straight 4 popper w/ a 5 speed, but don't remember much else about it.
Don't know too much about the Ford Courier, but another buddy had a little Dodge, D50 IIRC.
That thing would scream.
I can see the market for a compact truck. Not that I want one, but there's lots of times it'd be handy.
7mm

The Chevy Luv was just a re-badged Isuzu, the Ford Courier was a Mazda, and the Dodge D-50 and Plymouth Arrow were a Mitsubishi.

Chrysler also marketed a front wheel drive mini El Camino/Ranchero type vehicle. The Dodge version was called "Rampage" and Plymouth's was, "Scamp".

At one time the compact Ford Falcon was available in a single cab mini-truck as was Chevrolet's Corvair.

The old VW bus was also available in both single and double cab pickup truck versions, too.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Fireball2
How'd the VW pickup do?

Actually, if I could get a new VW pickup truck with a Jetta "smog cheater" diesel engine, I would seriously consider...

Me too!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How'd the VW pickup do?

Actually, if I could get a new VW pickup truck with a Jetta "smog cheater" diesel engine, I would seriously consider...

My Grandfather had one of the VW's and used it to commute from Suwanee FL the 75 miles one way to Gainesville FL his last couple years of flying for Eastern. He loved that thing and kept the 68 F150 Camper Special for a work truck. There is certainly still a market for a small truck.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This sounds smaller than all those. I can picture a couple lesbians hauling their signs to the protest while their eco-boost Ford does 38 in a 55. Hopefully Ford designs it so an F350 front bumper hits right at windshield level.

That's funny as hell right there. My first laugh out loud of the morning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My little truck was a '73 Datsun. It was a pretty good pickup, too, except for the back breaking seats. They didn't have a 4x4 version at that time but they came out with one later. There was a 4x4 kit available to convert it but it cost about $1500 plus labor if you couldn't DIY. That was a lot of money then.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
How'd the VW pickup do?

Or how about a modern version of the 80's Toyota diesel pickups? I think Mazda had one also perhaps?

Or just import a diesel Tacoma, like they have overseas.

Geno

As stated multiple times in other threads, I would LOVE to be able to purchase a diesel Toyota Hi Lux (Tacoma) that is offered with a 4cylinder diesel engine everywhere that Toyota does business, around the globe, EXCEPT in the U.S. market. For some reason, Toyota has an aversion to selling diesel passenger vehicles in the U.S. They already have diesel engines that are EU emissions compliant. Outside of California, cannot imagine that the balance of the U.S. emissions standards would be so difficult to meet...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy kshizzle! A 25% “chicken tax” on imported light trucks shocked

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit_Connect

Prob’ly explains a lot.

Otherwise if Honda or Toyota would bring out the equivalent of a Ford Transit connect with rubber floor mats instead of carpet and with a minimum of electronic crap I’d be interested.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Heym06
My favorite small pickup from years past was the Isuzu Pup. 4 cylinder diesel, 35 to 40 mpg. Every jippo tree feller seemed to have one! Five gallons from the skidder got you to work for a week!!

Buddy of mine had one of those when he was stationed in West Texas. Has been almost 40 years. However, IIRC, he claimed close to 50 mpg on the highway coming home from Texas.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Bring back the Subaru brat. Sixteen year old me, and a buddy took one antelope hunting. Two bucks and four does in the bed of that thing. Was a two hour drive from home. Filled up when we left and again upon return home. That was back before I knew anything about anything. We had those hot antelope carcasses stacked in the bed of that thing. A gruesome sight to be sure.

Checkout the Subaru Baja.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny thing about growing up and working in a salvage yard. I can identify any American car, make, model, and year (within 3 years) made from 1960 to 1990 right off the top of my head. But since the "Old Man"'only dealt in domestics, I knew nothing about imports until long after I got out of the service. I used to look down my nose at imports, till I got hooked up with Wifey and her '09 Forrester.
I've seen quite a few of those Falcon based Rancheros and a few Corvair pickups. We had one of the Corvairs in the yard in the '70s. With the engine over the rear axle and cab over type front end, you could lift the front wheels off the ground 4" or so if you revved it up and dumped the clutch! Ask me how I know grin.
I know I've seen quite a few Mazda pickups that bear an uncanny resemblance to the Rangers, but never connected the dots on the Courier or Chevy Luv. If I had, I'd have drove Kenny crazy calling him Joe Isuzu.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
How'd the VW pickup do?

Or how about a modern version of the 80's Toyota diesel pickups? I think Mazda had one also perhaps?

Or just import a diesel Tacoma, like they have overseas.

Geno

As stated multiple times in other threads, I would LOVE to be able to purchase a diesel Toyota Hi Lux (Tacoma) that is offered with a 4cylinder diesel engine everywhere that Toyota does business, around the globe, EXCEPT in the U.S. market. For some reason, Toyota has an aversion to selling diesel passenger vehicles in the U.S. They already have diesel engines that are EU emissions compliant. Outside of California, cannot imagine that the balance of the U.S. emissions standards would be so difficult to meet...

Orion,

coming soon?

https://2019besttrucks.com/toyota/2019-toyota-tacoma-diesel/

https://2020pickuptrucks.com/2019-toyota-tacoma-diesel-usa/

Only drawback I can see, I hate the looks of most all new pickup grills and front ends, too boxy. AND, I'm retired and don't have $$$ for a new truck

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.