Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wings and drummies seasoned all with Dirty Bird Hot rub and a chunk of apple over the Vortex for smoke, -14F windchill and just under an hour had nice color and crispy.

[Linked Image]
-----

[Linked Image]
-----

Served 3 ways – Some tossed in Cherry Apple Habanero Rib Glaze, Dirty Bird HOT rub only and the rest with Cherry Habanero BBQ sauce.

[Linked Image]
-----

Incredible flavor with all of them!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big fan of Kosmos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Small Vortex work on a Smokey Joe ?

MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

No, a small will not fit. But a mini Vortex will fit in a Smokey Joe, but the little grillestate left to cook on the 14.5" grate with the room a Vortex takes up. Some do this, but in my opinion it just isn't worth your investment.
For a small portable Weber kettle a Jumbo Joe with a mini Vortex works well.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah buddy!!👍

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MossyMO

No, a small will not fit. But a mini Vortex will fit in a Smokey Joe, but the little grillestate left to cook on the 14.5" grate with the room a Vortex takes up. Some do this, but in my opinion it just isn't worth your investment.

Thanks, I'll get a large for my Pit Barrel Cooker ?

MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Thanks, I'll get a large for my Pit Barrel Cooker ?

We have a PBC also, but have never used a Vortex in it, I'm not saying it isn't possible... Big thing about a PBC is with the firebasket, the handle for it is in the way of setting a Vortex in the basket, and fit under the cooking grate. What are your thoughts on the set up in a PBC?
If you happen to have a Facebook account there is a group of Vortex users that will have more and most likely better opinions than just mine... www.facebook.com/groups/VortexBBQ

Last edited by MossyMO; 01/21/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't be a slam dunk as you're right about the basket. Probably have to ad an additional grate below the factory top cooking grate.

A little measuring and drilling
Thoughts ?

MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wouldn't be a slam dunk as you're right about the basket. Probably have to ad an additional grate below the factory top cooking grate.

A little measuring and drilling
Thoughts ?

Personally I would not drill holes in our PBC. Honestly all set up and done the Vortex will be sitting to low in the barrel to get the full functionality of the Vortex. In a kettle or kamado grill the intense indirect heat hitting the domed lid and circulating down to cook product is a large selling point of a Vortex. Local classifieds have Weber kettles quite often for very little, besides our Jumbo Joe all our other kettles we have purchased used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a kettle or kamado grill the intense indirect heat hitting the domed lid and circulating down to cook product is a large selling point of a Vortex..

Good point, Marty. That's why we listen to you the expert.

Thanks.

IC B3

MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
In a kettle or kamado grill the intense indirect heat hitting the domed lid and circulating down to cook product is a large selling point of a Vortex..

Good point, Marty. That's why we listen to you the expert.

Thanks.

Far from an expert, still learning from others and my mistakes... still love eating my mistakes too!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Phug it, I'm moving 9 hours to North Dakota !

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wings and drummies seasoned all with Dirty Bird Hot rub and a chunk of apple over the Vortex for smoke, -14F windchill and just under an hour had nice color and crispy.

[Linked Image]
-----

[Linked Image]
-----

Served 3 ways – Some tossed in Cherry Apple Habanero Rib Glaze, Dirty Bird HOT rub only and the rest with Cherry Habanero BBQ sauce.

[Linked Image]
-----

Incredible flavor with all of them!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking!

i wouldn't be able to stop eating those

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.