Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
In Anchorage which UPS Store or outlet (whatever they want to call themselves), is most amenable to ship a sidearm? Least amount of hassle? I need to ship one to Kalifornica to be worked on.
Thanks.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
GB1

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Probably none of them if they want to stay in business with UPS. UPS stores are privately owned and cannot accept firearms. To ship with UPS you have to schedule a pick-up or drop it off at a UPS facility (their main hub). This is straight from the UPS website.

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

Last edited by ATC; 01/23/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ATC
Probably none of them if they want to stay in business with UPS. UPS stores are privately owned and cannot accept firearms. To ship with UPS you have to schedule a pick-up or drop it off at a UPS facility (their main hub). This is straight from the UPS website.

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

Yep. Our local store wouldn't ship guns, but said I could at their facility in a town 120 miles away. Yet I could send it through a gun store that, you guessed it sends through UPS and FedEx.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by ATC

Yep. Our local store wouldn't ship guns, but said I could at their facility in a town 120 miles away. Yet I could send it through a gun store that, you guessed it sends through UPS and FedEx.

Yes it is dumb.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Try this.......ask your gunsmith/shop in Kalifornia to send you a pick up label to ship the gun to them

they will use UPS...Fed Ex...you pay for the label...they e mail it to you...or US Mail it

just a thought........UPS Stores can be a real PIA.........

then.....they can return it directly to you........its your weapon/property........

Signature Required upon return

Last edited by tikkanut; 01/23/19.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
go online and get a fedex or UPS account, Print label, schedule pickup-done

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You could also use www.shipmygun.com I almost guarantee that will be the cheapest and easiest way to do what you want.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 01/23/19.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
You could also use www.shipmygun.com I almost guarantee that will be the cheapest and easiest way to do what you want.

Assuming the FFL is in there, if not you have to go through that whole process. Then when I tried, SMG wanted to provide me a UPS label, I didn't want UPS, so I gave up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some different rules if it is being sent to the manufacturer and returned rather than selling. Otherwise it is expensive as hell. I sold a pistol to a guy across the USA and it cost me $107 FedEX overnight (required). Will look into shipmygun.com for sure before I ship again.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by centershot
There are some different rules if it is being sent to the manufacturer and returned rather than selling. Otherwise it is expensive as hell. I sold a pistol to a guy across the USA and it cost me $107 FedEX overnight (required). Will look into shipmygun.com for sure before I ship again.

I reread it and he is shipping it for repair, I don't think that makes a difference since the gunsmith can use anyone he wants to ship it back. I could be wrong

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ATC

This.

Even then, brace yourself for the possibility of some drama if the person you deal with is ignorant or intolerant.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you take the gun apart and ship two packages, you’re shipping ‘machine parts’ and anybody will ship. Handy tip from the guy who customized one of mine. Pick a good carrier and put tracking and insurance on both packages.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Cast
If you take the gun apart and ship two packages, you’re shipping ‘machine parts’ and anybody will ship. Handy tip from the guy who customized one of mine. Pick a good carrier and put tracking and insurance on both packages.

Your guy gave you bad advice. The "machine part" with the serial number is a firearm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The guy is an idiot.......the serial numbered part is legally a firearm whether all the parts are there or not.

Cancer Sucks
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Well I reckon I won’t do that again.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just find a local FFL and ship it through his license by USPS, it will be cheaper and easier than any other method. You need to go to a UPS hub to ship it with UPS and it will have to go second day air.

It is not illegal to ship firearms, it is just the policies of the shipper that varies. Going around their policies to save time or money will screw up any chance of a claim if something happens in shipping...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just find a local FFL and ship it through his license by USPS

This

arctic ammo will ship for 10 bucks and postage. done deal.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am not in Alaska but FedEx stores in my part of the country will take firearms. Walk in give them the money and be on your way.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Just find a local FFL and ship it through his license by USPS

This

arctic ammo will ship for 10 bucks and postage. done deal.

This is what I will have to do. I live in the Bush, we have no UPS out here. Thanks for the replies.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

WRONG!

The receiver is the "firearm" and that package is illegal. It also doubles the chance of problems.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.