Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I bid $700 to start it and dang if I didn't almost buy it!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796735683

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you mean you almost got stuck with it.

Close one... whistle

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cheap money for a rare caliber !!I think the stock couldbe cleaned up. I got one in about the same shape private sale for $500 i was a happy camper. Take the stock off put it aside and put a nice EG style stock on it. grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That would be a rare bird.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A spade is spade and a POS is a POS

This one just happens to be a rare and cheap POS

Roy didn't want it too bad or he'd would have bid $710.

Good call on his behalf IMO...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine will keep the 1" rebar at 200 yds dance all day at the range.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would have bid $710, but i didn't want to be bidding against Roy, the dings in that wood could have been dressed up easily,..not so much the pressed checkering frown

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just bid. I bid what it was worth to me. I already have a rotary mag 22-250. I would have cleaned it up for a winter project.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog

I don't doubt that even one second.

Everybody likes what they like and they want what they want, I get it.

If I want to make rebar dance with a 22-250, I think I would spend my $710 on something a little easier on the eyes.

I have no interest in fugly women, I don't care how good they can cook.

Just me...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i looked at it Roy, but have a life long aversion to leprosy. scared me off. plus am still holding out for a 303

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by mad_dog

I don't doubt that even one second.

Everybody likes what they like and they want what they want, I get it.

If I want to make rebar dance with a 22-250, I think I would spend my $710 on something a little easier on the eyes.

I have no interest in fugly women, I don't care how good they can cook.

Just me...

That made me chuckle.

Roy, post-mil rotary mag .22-250? A Pre-mil custom tinkered .22-250 would be cool. (Note that until 1965 the .22-250 was still a wildcat. Remington didn't confer legitimacy on it until that year. Up until then it was called the .22 Varminter as often as not, as per Jerry Gebby who copyrighted it back in the 30's.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
post mil DL donor w/ DL buttstock, RT style forearm

[Linked Image]

LOL
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The stock could be cleaned up real well on that. Have seen worse guns sell for more. We all have.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Man, post mil guns get no respect and among those the magazine fed models seem to be the lowest of the low. I’d like to see some more discussion on these guns as they can’t all be that bad. After all, what was Remington and Winchester pumping out during that time? Some weren’t very good but some of the Savage offerings of the period may, in comparison, be just fine and may make good starting points for new guys getting into this great hobby of ours. Thanks Roy for kicking this one to the head of the class.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Remington at the time with the 700 was building a pretty nice reliable and accurate rifle, if anything a little too shiny. Winchester' post-64 M70 suffered the criticisms of guys who were used to the grand old pre-64 M70. Truth be told the new ones shot as good and served their owners well- the complaints were mostly cosmetic in nature, and virtually the same can be said of Savage. If anything everybody slid into a Dark Age of Aesthetics during the 60's-70's including Savage, and not just guns. Take a good hard look at the crap churned out by Detroit during that time period- good powerful lusty V-8's, sure, but stuck into bloated softly sprung behemoths.

The Postwar boom was about over. The prewar and wartime technology that made it possible was getting long in the tooth and The Greatest Generation were finding their first gray hairs and feeling the first twinges of arthritis. We Baby Boomers were stepping up and frankly our tastes sucked- take a good look at the clothes we wore- and everything we did was in protest of the sensibilities of our parents, usually for no better reason than to force change for change's sake. Aesthetic principles that had matured over decades became passe- out with the old in with the new, be different, man!- and our rifles followed suit. White line spacers, Monte Carlo stocks, flashy finishes- man if your company didn't provide that you were left in the dust.

I'm not quite sure how we grew out of it and returned to "classic" sensibilities, but I'm glad we did. Perhaps we woke up to the fact that something had to pay the price for rapid growth and head long change for change's sake, and that something was aesthetics.

Savage's post-mil's strike that chord of aesthetic poverty that taints my view of the whole era in general. Nothing against the guns, per se, they work and shoot ok. I'll stick with the older stuff thank you very much. But then again, I wear Woolrich plaid instead of Mossy Oak camo too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks Gary. So I guess it was a messy mix of bell bottoms jeans, 72 Cadillac Eldorados and rifles with glossy finishes and white line spacers. Ah, the good old days.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how can you say Detroit didn't put out beautiful cars in the 70's Gary?
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deerstalker
how can you say Detroit didn't put out beautiful cars in the 70's Gary?
[Linked Image]

Well...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by S99VG
Thanks Gary. So I guess it was a messy mix of bell bottoms jeans, 72 Cadillac Eldorados and rifles with glossy finishes and white line spacers. Ah, the good old days.

The only thing good about them was the girls, and the fact that light beer wasn't invented yet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah I guess all the free lovin' stuff came down to the old saying that "there just aint no such thing as a free lunch."

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.