Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That was pathetic. I’d never heard of these guys. After watching them make fools of themselves I looked at their website and found this quote:

“Only learn from the best. This is how we do it. We pride ourselves in knowledge sharing and hope we can help the beginner or the advanced hunter hone the craft.”

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Azz wipe for taking a shot he wasn't reasonably certain would result in a one shot kill that he could accurately make !!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Funny this video has made it here. I follow MF on IG. They released this video and are very proud of it. As soon as I seen the video I gave a negative comment on their IG about the shooter not following up and he got very lucky that he was able to eventually recover the deer. Well they wasn’t happy with me and I got some tough talk from them.
When these guys celebrate they’re not celebrating the deer they are celebrating the deer kill was caught on film. That’s how they get paid. There was a perfect opportunity for a follow up shot just a few seconds after the deer dropped.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a shame this was even filmed.

Not good on so many layers.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The shot hit the spinous process of the backbone. When they use four legs to walk instead of two the animal will have a spinous process above the vertebrae. That is where the backstraps nestle. Look at a T bone steak or skeletal anatomy.

I dissected a doe, it is in the savage forum thread I posted under 220 savage slug.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds non-lethal??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree smokepole.

You can snap a spinous process off the vertebrae. Initially some shock. The animal moving away looked pretty normal to me.

It is real common in archery, to be non lethal due to less shock ( Dead tissue) from the impact.

A secondary clostridium infection can happen with gunshot wounds.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/22/19.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Ethical? first shot to far for me, but if he can make it, ok.

What I had an issue with was his statement of "about to go home the blood trail was getting sparse" That means there is still a blood trail, in snow! You keep tracking. Hell it had only been an hour.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ethical if one can make the shot. If he thinks he can make the shot, then no. For sure not a video I'd put out there.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895

A secondary clostridium infection can happen with gunshot wounds.

C-diff?? Would that be more common with a gunshot wound than an arrow, what's the reason for that? More external debris from the hide dragged into the wound??

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Textbook...textbook...textbook example of the sheer stupidity/ignorance/recklessness or ANYONE who shoots that kind of distance at an uninjured animal.

Perfect example of how NOT to hunt...so many mistakes made it is sickening...but sure had top of the line gear huh?

NO SUCH THING AS LONG RANGE HUNTING, IT'S LONG RANGE SHOOTING. Get off your a** and get closer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry about the typo, "recklessness 'or' ANYONE" should be "recklessness 'of' ANYONE".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by murkydismal

NO SUCH THING AS LONG RANGE HUNTING, IT'S LONG RANGE SHOOTING. Get off your a** and get closer.

Well now, that's a murky and dismal way to look at it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Without watching the video first I have two observations.

1. Why do you need a supressor on a long range gun?
2. Deer are not that hard to get up on for an under 400 yard shot.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Without watching the video first I have two observations.

1. Why do you need a supressor on a long range gun?
2. Deer are not that hard to get up on for an under 400 yard shot.

1) Same reason you need one for short shots, to reduce recoil and allow you to see your impacts in the scope.

2) Depends on the situation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A gunshot wound is ....well a gunshot wound.

It will devitaize tissue , make it an anaerobic environment. " blood shock" etc.

An arrow is more like surgery the tissues are still vital and aerobic due to the much lower kinetic energy on the impact.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got it, thanks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Angus1895
A gunshot wound is ....well a gunshot wound.

It will devitaize tissue , make it an anaerobic environment. " blood shock" etc.

An arrow is more like surgery the tissues are still vital and aerobic due to the much lower kinetic energy on the impact.

What is vital and devitalized tissue in this context?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm pretty sure it means "dead" because it's been crushed rather than sliced with a blade. Being dead is what makes it anaerobic. Some bacteria can only thrive in anaerobic environments.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Something similar happened to me elk hunting fall of '18 in that I shot a bull that flopped "dead" at the impact. 350yds shooting kneeling off of a tall bipod. I've killed 8 elk with this rifle and a truckload of deer. Been shooting the same 200gn TSX load through it since '04. I watched for probably 15-20sec turned around grabbed my pack cleared the rifle's chamber and prepared to go get to work on my "dead" elk. When I turned back around, the bull was back on his feet so I quickly peel out of the pack, chamber another round, but the bull lays right back down as the other 2 bulls with him leave, it's obvious he's not going to (can't) follow. While he's down I can see his head/neck and nothing else. I decide that getting closer is a better option than shooting from my present position. I got into a shallow depression, got up to ~125yds and as I was settling in on the bipods for a precise killing shot he managed to effort back to his feet and begins to stumble away. I hit him again through the chest, cycle the bolt, manage to trip the floor plate (which I've never ever done unintentionally on any rifle), find a loaded round at my feet, chamber it, hit him a 3rd time quartering hard away now @ 150yds or so and he was down for good.

Upon breakdown it was pretty obvious the bullet pushed further than I'd expected and got him in the diaphragm/liver. No guts, but, I didn't miss them by much. In my case, the bull was out in the open and there was really no way for him to go that wouldn't take him either relatively close to me or run him past either my hunting partner or another party of hunters that were relatively close.

Alls well that ends well but there was a 5-7min stretch of uncertainty.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 6 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.