Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I’d go Rossi and then give it the Steve’s Gunz treatment.

Another option is to buy a Rossi already worked over, directly from Steve.

His prices are good and you'll save money, time and shipping costs.

DF

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Browning.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Cowboy shooters have different reasons for their gun choices, so forgive me for being eccentric, especially if you are looking for home defense or a saddle gun for hunting. Many of my loads use 38 Special brass and data, but all are stout enough to be used on reactive and live targets. I do not "play games" with my guns, they are for ALL shooting sports.

My first lever 357 was a Marlin, second hand from a local pawn store for about $300. It shot well and still does, although I expect to sell it within the next 18 months. I found several loads that it likes using 145 gr Truncated Cone lead bullets. This Marlin is solid, but not as smooth or fast as I like. Two coils (one at a time) had to be cut off the tubular magazine spring so that it would hold ten rounds.

The 357 Rossi M-92 clone is a "special edition", like that might make any difference. It says 1 of 1000. I paid a friend @ $400 for it in @ 2004. You have to work the lever with certainty, full stroke and all, to run it dry in a hurry, without hiccups. Reliable and quick, shoots accurately with a handful of loads at ranges up to 100 yds. Very smooth trigger after a tiny bit of amatuer work. The Rossi 92 is my choice for field work and it shoots regular 158 gr lead RN or RNFP bullets at 1200-1500 fps for those chores. It does NOT feed SWC bullets worth a hoot. I would, and do, use it for any game smaller than deer. It might be OK on deer if necessary, but I have other rifles that will do a better job and they will be using mostly jacketed bullets.

My Winchester 73 clone from Italy is also accurate and very slick if you are looking to be competitive in SASS-style shooting. Also easy to load for, keeping the pressure at BP levels with a half dozen loads, also using the 145 TC lead bullet. Pricey ($1200 range in 2010), but lots of quality and speed for the buck. The wood and checkering are very pretty and the blueing is nice, so I don't take it out in nasty weather much.

I have not shot a Browning, so have no opinion there.

The three rifles above are pretty much out of the box accurate (1.0-1.5" at 35 yards) and have not had any attention beyond very minor help with a gritty trigger or the mentioned magazine spring. I put a tang sight with a BIG peep aperture on the Rossi and have really enjoyed it for shooting beyond powder burn range; 5 shot groups at 50 yards are still in the 1" - 1.5" range. I think it is a Marble pattern and I would do it again for any SASS lever action that is to be used for shots beyond 50 or 60 yards. My Puma M-92 clone in 45 Colt also wears a tang sight and is scary accurate out there at 50-100 yds, also without any professional gunsmithing.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree, CAS needs aren't the same as a hunter's needs.

The '73 is the fastest, ctgs moved into the chamber parallel, not at an angle. The toggle link action is the weakest.

The '92 is the strongest, but not necessarily the fastest. Rounds have to enter the chamber at an angle, are prone to stove piping, most COAL sensitive.

The Marlin is somewhere in between, stronger than the '73, close to, but not as strong as the '92.

A slicked up Marlin can run pretty fast, not as fast as a '73.

Heavy walled brass, like .45 Colt, doesn't do that well with low powered CAS loads, are prone to blow back. The thick walled case at low pressure doesn't expand to seal gases from blowing back. The chambers have to be loose enough for a bullet to chamber at an angle. I took my Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt out of CAS, loaded 300 gr. bullets over a max dose of 4227. A real 'diller killer, no blow back.

Here's my custom, short stroked .357 '73 carbine. This is about as good as it gets for CAS.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle. Have a Cimmaron I love but this one takes the cake I think.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by lhead71
If you can find one, a Browning B-92, beautiful, light, good trigger.

In my opinion the Browning .357 is the most desireable of the .357 lever actions, as Miroku closely replicated the Winchester 1892 mechanical operation but with a Browning flair for finish . They are hard to find and you will pay for a clean example but well worth it and a pleasure to own and shoot. Next up and just as useful and maybe more so as you can mount a receiver sight or a scope is the pre safety Marlin 1894. My Browning and Marlins are loaded with the Hornady 180 gr. XTP and 15 gr. of Lil Gun. Speer 158 gr. Gold Dots and Lil Gun are another favorite.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Miroku guns are some of the best.

I’ve heard the opinion that a Miroku ‘92 is better made than the original.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wtjc
Best - Sako lever action (recognized as the best lever action ever made) In production No - not for lack of quality (economics apparently) Sadly, I will be selling mine shortly

Best - Sako lever action (recognized as the best lever action ever made) In production No - not for lack of quality (economics apparently) Sadly, I will be selling mine shortly

When did Sako make a lever action 357 Magnum???I am guessing never. shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Huntz

When did Sako make a lever action 357 Magnum???I am guessing never. shocked

More like .243, .308, etc.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what you'll use it for.
For my application , I wanted a gun to use in a canoe for wild river trips in AK.
I choose the rossi in 44 mag.Their 357 is still the same gun.
It's an easy fix for the minor dings of a rough action. A stone used in the right places and you have
a beautiful SS, rugged use lever gun.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by lhead71
If you can find one, a Browning B-92, beautiful, light, good trigger.

Absolutely, but if you want the best current production, look at the Winchester 1873, it is smooth and crisp right out of the box...

Yup!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.