-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tried several and get tired of packing them around. Anymore, when calling I go commando and shoot free hand. Affords a lot of quick versatility. When called, my shots aren't that far.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by liliysdad
To hell with sticks, tripod is where its at. Even better with a clamp, and bestest with an Arca clamp and corresponding rail on the rifle.

I am calling coyotes, most of the time shots will be under 150yds......and a lot closer than that...….sticks will be fine....bob

I'm calling coyotes too.....and a most of mine are under 200...with the occasional much farther. Even at 100yd...the tripod is the buisness. Every single thing about it is better.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
At anything over 50 yards, shooting sticks really help- for one thing, you can have your gun at ready without exerting yourself. I set up so that I am covering where I Expect the critter to come in. Sometimes I have to switch to my left shoulder to swing more to the right. Check your coverage before you start tooting.

If I expected to shoot 400 yards on a stand, a prone bipod or tripod would be better but I have no problems taking head shots out to 200.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sticks will in effect, double your range of effectiveness. I have killed a lot of coyotes from 200 to 300 yds. I have not tried the tripod version, but like the simplicity of sticks. I also practice a lot off of my sticks, shooting a small 6" steel from 150 to 200 yds. Like anything,practice makes you better. Shoot a 6" steel, and a coyote doesn't look so small.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by atse
Sticks will in effect, double your range of effectiveness. I have killed a lot of coyotes from 200 to 300 yds. I have not tried the tripod version, but like the simplicity of sticks. I also practice a lot off of my sticks, shooting a small 6" steel from 150 to 200 yds. Like anything,practice makes you better. Shoot a 6" steel, and a coyote doesn't look so small.

Attached Images
Capture.jpg (47.05 KB, 114 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was starting to do some range work at a make-shift range prior to a Caribou hunt off of my $30 collapsible shooting sticks. I was shooting from the sitting position.

A guy walks over and starts telling me how much better a tripod is. He irritated me. The 7 Mag had a pretty warm barrel so I grabbed my Savage 116 in .223 and fired a 3 shot group off the sticks. Under 2 inches -- @ 333 yards. Sticks from sitting is VERY efficient and accurate; done correctly. They are also light to carry and quick to set up. I've killed dozens of Coyotes off sticks at close to very far range. Killed Antelope and Caribou, also.

Before they were for sale, I made my own out of doweling and pieces of leather. I made a tall set for shooting Gophers out of a lawn chair. I still have them but the collapsible models are easier to carry in a pouch by my side where they are handy.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've killed a ton of stuff off sticks, and they do work well. The fact that they work well has little to nothing to do with the fact a tripod and clamp is a considerably more stable platform, and makes calling easier.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Yep.... shooting sticks suck for anything over about 100 yards... especially on coyotes.... that was kinda the point. It’s pretty tough to be proficient with sticks.... but I can put a rifle in the SFT, and a monkey could hit stuff at 300 with it.

I have to disagree. I only use them for predator calling. Most shots under 100 yrds, I rarely use them, especially on running/moving coyotes. Many times they don't stop. After 100 is where I use them the most. But I rarely shoot coyotes further than 300 yards. Tripods are just too bulky and heavier than I want to carry, unless I planned on doing a lot of long range shooting.

I like the Primos pole cat shooting stix.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...cat-shooting-sticks/1615721.uts?slotId=1

I especially like them when I am doing a standing setup with shotgun or rifle. They hold up the rifle/shotgun while my hands work the e-caller of hand calls.

one old semi toothless coyote

[Linked Image]

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My Pole cat doesn't have that type of head. It is connected lower with a rubber fitting and you cross them to capture the forend. I like this style better than the sit on top as I can let go of the rifle without it falling off when I am reaching for something.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have the Cabelas version of the Bog. Nice swiveling "V" yoke, fully extended they are a pretty good walking stick, lots of height adjustment for different positions and terrain, work outstanding to brace binoculars or a small spotter when glassing.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a pair of wooden sticks that are connected with rubber. You can slip the forend through the rubber tube or rest it on top . I got them at Sportsman’s. They are Johnny Stewart branded, I think. They were cheap.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Old wood crutches make a couple good pairs of sticks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sammo62

Just what I want to be carrying around with me a pair of wooden crutches.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Jesus Chr*st, they make’em in aluminum nowadays...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Jesus Chr*st, they make’em in aluminum nowadays...

Yeah but evidently only the wood ones work for shooting sticks.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I made my shooting sticks from two adjustable shower curtain rods made of aluminium. Their length can be adjusted from 3 feet 10 inches to 6 feet 9 inches. They cost me less than 10$ and they work just fine. I am currently thinking about the 2.0 version smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like that, what you got in mind for the 2.0 version? Any changes in mind?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For the 2.0 version I have in mind to add some spikes on legs so they can have more stable contact with the surface and adding something like this on top. Made of fishing rod rest wrapped in a rubber band and some U profile, so I can move the rifle more freely to the side.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe it's the country that I call, but for me it seems like my calling stands can be very fluid at times. A coyote shows up 90 degrees to my left and another could show up 90 degrees to my right and, at least for me, shooting sticks seem to be the ticket to swing from one extreme to the other, quickly. Also consider that I often am sitting on a hill side, I don't think a tripod would be as easy to set up, or swing, from one side to the other. Seems like the third leg would find itself either running into the hillside, or being way low from the other two. Speaking of the third leg, two legs on my shooting sticks like to grab vegetation, wouldn't a third leg just be another thing to catch on [bleep].
I'll stick with my old modified steady stix magnums. If I miss with my sticks, it ain't because I didn't have a tripod.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by angler
I made my shooting sticks from two adjustable shower curtain rods made of aluminium. Their length can be adjusted from 3 feet 10 inches to 6 feet 9 inches. They cost me less than 10$ and they work just fine. I am currently thinking about the 2.0 version smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great idea. Post pics of the 2.0 version when you have them complete.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

122 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.