Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
One of my sons buddies has one he wants to sell.
It has 220,000 miles on it.
Is this a money pit?
What would it be worth?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the rig was well taken care of, proper oil changes, not trashed from wheelin' etc. etc. and the price is good/reflects its age rather than the Toyota "reputation" it could be a good rig for another 10K-40k maybe more maybe less. I've got 188k on mine now and other than consumables like brakes, belts and mufflers/exhaust parts(salt used on hwy's here in winter) have had just 1 water pump go out and the air conditioning needs fixing, nothing else. The engine still runs great, just like when I first bought it(118k mi.) and it was just broken in at that point.

As par for the course with any older used car purchase, check compression etc by a good mechanic that knows FJ80's and go from their. I've found parts/price availability is pretty good but Toyota dealer/OEM can be frightening as to cost. the best but really expensive.

Check the rear hatch lid for rust, the window washer hose is notorious for coming loose and leaking inside the frame area causing rust to propagate before it is noticed in the exterior paint.
Its worth is regionally dependent from what I've seen. Higher proportion of offroad clubs/areas resorts and the like will see higher prices. If the interior is decent condition and the engine checks out, all electricals are working etc. and the body is not trashed I could see $4k to $6k. I've seen some on CL going for twice that, sometimes they sell in a few weeks, sometimes not for months.

If the straight six is near death an option beyond rebuild is swapping in a small block chevy. Many have been done and they help with more power and equal/possibly better fuel mileage depending on which motor EFI combo you use. However the OEM six is a wonderful engine in its own right, especially in offroad situations.

IMO the late model FJ80 96-97 land cruiser and lexus equivalent are one of the best built automobiles(not just SUV's) ever made, by anyone.

If your son is dead set on getting one do more research and start comparing his friends' rig with others around the country including ebay etc.

If it is marginal and potential heap from abuse it can turn into a serious money pit, like many other cars out there.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I drove a 96 for 3 years, and would echo all of the above. It was a great daily driver, did awesome in snow and ice, and was a fun rig.

If you want to build it into a serious offroad rig, you will be putting some money into it. That said, they are plenty capable in stock form, aside from the low departure angle. If you just want to run it, it may nickel and dime you a bit, but what 20+ year old vehicle won't?

The straight 6 is a good engine, but at 220K, you are knocking on a rebuild I'd guess unless its been done. There were head gasket issues and a heater hose issue - those are worth knowing if they've been addressed.

Aftermarket support is awesome for the 80, given its short production lifespan. Not to the level of Jeep, but still impressive. The 80 series was produced up to 2008 in Venezuela, and there are parts floating around all over. If you are going to deep dive into it, IH8Mud is your huckleberry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, unless you have very deep pockets, it pays to be handy with tools and do most of the work on these yourself. Otherwise they can get expensive in a hurry. I owned a '97 for 14 years and 165k miles. It worked great and never left my anywhere. I wheeled it in the slick rock of Moab at the Jeep safari every year and went everywhere the jeeps went.

IH8MUD will be your friend. OEM parts are usually the best.

Regards,

Tom
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Restomods get pricey just have to wait for right buyer!

MAGA! This is the way!
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My buddy is currently restoring one and it's getting pricey but there are folks out there that are willing to pay crazy money for them! He had a '72 vet pumped $125k into it but found a Corvette fanatic who gave him $155k for it.

MAGA! This is the way!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by whelennut
One of my sons buddies has one he wants to sell.
It has 220,000 miles on it.
Is this a money pit?
What would it be worth?

Is your some buddy still thinking of selling? My buddy is interested is so. Pics if possible to javmanrgv.rr. com

Thanks

MAGA! This is the way!
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
He will send pictures

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
We had a neighbor who swapped a small block Chevy in one. It was his road hunting pheasant car. He swapped it for a minivan.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have owned aught but Toyota diesel since the 80's, but that said I would be looking out for a Nissan 4.2 litre diesel wagon (one of the old square models that were also rebadged as Ford Maverick) They have either coil or leaf suspension, power steering, air conditioning, LSD, and a drive train that is un-killable.

Mate down the road just picked one up from Bourke for the princely sum of au $5000 with 200 000 km on the clock...surely you lot at least got those?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They’re tanks. If it’s triple locked, so much the better. The motors are off a 500k lifespan block design, so regular maintenance, head gaskets every 150k or so, birfields on occasion, and peripherals should be your only worries for a lot of miles. My latest is a triple locked ‘95.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
He still wants to sell.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

know nuthin' about the LC......

but here's a kool place on my list to see & do

Too bad its downtown SLC........

https://www.landcruiserhm.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
He will reduce price to $6,000.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
He will reduce price to $6,000.

you ain't bought it yet ?

Bullet proof.......factory lockers ?

Its no Prius on fuel.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I just put a new set of Michelin tires on my F150.
I will make that work for awhile.
What a difference new tires makes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I have owned aught but Toyota diesel since the 80's, but that said I would be looking out for a Nissan 4.2 litre diesel wagon (one of the old square models that were also rebadged as Ford Maverick) They have either coil or leaf suspension, power steering, air conditioning, LSD, and a drive train that is un-killable.

Mate down the road just picked one up from Bourke for the princely sum of au $5000 with 200 000 km on the clock...surely you lot at least got those?

Rub it in you fugger.........we get screwed out of all the good schit!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Your Ford Mavericks were apparently a bit different than the Mavericks Ford used to sell here.

[Linked Image from hemmings.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned 7 over the years...from a '79 FJ-40 to my current 1995 FZJ-80 and 2001 UZJ-100.

Two of the seven were highly modified, three somewhat modified (suspension and bumpers) and two were pretty much stock.

My current 100 Series has 244k miles and I drive it regularly the 700 miles from Houston to MO, wheel it all over my property (some pretty rough trails) and drive it the 700 miles home. Doesn't miss a beat.

I never want to be without a Land Cruiser!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.