Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Just got back from Texas. It was easier getting through TSA in Billings, MT when Leaving MT than getting through TSA to come home from San Antonio with the rifles, but easier getting out of the airport in San Antonio on arriving than when we got back to Billings. Overall very easy, but prefer the way the Billings TSA handled things a bit better. Neither was a hassle though.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
San Antonio makes you wait and go to a separate room for TSA check just a bit of an inconvenience but it usually runs smooth

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That is true. I had to wait while sitting in an assigned chair well away from my case. I was probably in the room 10 minutes, the majority of it waiting for a TSA agent to arrive. When I picked up my case in San Antonio I just grabbed it and walked out. The agent didn't say a word.

Leaving Billings the TSA agent was already there (smaller airport) and kind of apologized for the requirements to search the case. When I returned to Billings we met my sister-in-law who was flying out that day so it took a little bit to get to baggage claim. My friend told me as I came into sight, "She won't let me take it for you. She needs to see you ID." Once I showed her we were on our way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The longest part of it is usually the discussion of what fire arms you use and favorite deer cartridges. Usually if the agents open the cases it is to admire the weapon.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You could mail them to yourself there. They’ll be waiting when you arrive.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Would that be cheaper than paying baggage fees.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
The longest part of it is usually the discussion of what fire arms you use and favorite deer cartridges. Usually if the agents open the cases it is to admire the weapon.

The TSA agent in San Antonio didn't ask, but the guy who took me into the room didn't know what a javelin was. Said he goes to work and then goes home and stays there and then back to work. Sound like he never leaves the city.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Keep a copy of the TSA regs and specific airline rules you fly on your person.

Put a trigger or cable lock on the gun.

Make sure the case cannot be opened or allow your hand even partially able to reach inside even though the gun wouldn’t come out.

I put a padlock thru all the holes on the case so it is completely secure.

You won’t have any problems.

DO NOT USE THE SMALL TSA RED LOCKS WITH A THIN CABLE AND ALLOWS TSA TO ACCESS WITH A MASTER KEY. TSA WANTS YOU TO BE THEONLY PERSON TO ACCESS THE CASE.

Last edited by abbydog; 02/24/19.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Would that be cheaper than paying baggage fees.

Not when you fly South West and get 2 free checked bags

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by abbydog
Keep a copy of the TSA regs and specific airline rules you fly on your person.

Put a trigger or cable lock on the gun.

Make sure the case cannot be opened or allow your hand even partially able to reach inside even though the gun wouldn’t come out.

I put a padlock thru all the holes on the case so it is completely secure.

You won’t have any problems.

DO NOT USE THE SMALL TSA RED LOCKS WITH A THIN CABLE AND ALLOWS TSA TO ACCESS WITH A MASTER KEY. TSA WANTS YOU TO BE THEONLY PERSON TO ACCESS THE CASE.

My case worked fine and I didn't have to cable lock the gun. I had both United's regs and TSA regs with me. They were the same. My case only needs one lock, but has a steel round bar that goes through 4 buckles. The ticket agent thought it needed two locks even tough the regs don't say that and TSA was fine with it.

In Billings I was right next to the TSA agent as he went over the case. Even helping him move the case around. Some places just aren't as uptight as others.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 02/25/19.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.