Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife and I are flying into San Antonio next month for a pig and javalina hunt. Has anyone had trouble there flying with guns?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No--and can't recall how many times I've done it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Done it a few myself....seems to me when flying out you have to go in a back room with your guns and let some lackey ask you if they are unloaded..but thats about it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It is Texas, are you kidding?!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Contact the airline you will be flying. They also generally publish the rules for flying with firearms and ammo online.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/23/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Other than where/how to pick it up, most flying with gun issues happen in the starting airport

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
San Antonio is easy. There's a lot of guns going through there, so they're used to it. I'd be more worried about the airport you're coming from.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Flying home from San Antonio one time had an anti-gun cow at the check in desk, the back room guy was quite pleasant. Easy reasonable airport as others have said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No problems. Many times doing it on Southwest with zero issues

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pretty much the same as any other U .S. airport. Comply with the simple procedures and there's no problem.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've gone through SATX several times with no problems. Honolulu is another story.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cotis
It is Texas, are you kidding?!

That's right, if you show up without one they'll provide one, free of charge.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a friend from, of all places, New Jersey, that flew to SA for a hunt. When flying out, she stated she had 3 airport PD and 4-5 TSA people there, all but one with their hands on/near their firearms. When she flew out (flew out of Austin) she said the TSA folks talked with her about the different cartridges they liked and asked what she though of them.
Said Texas was really a whole other country from what she was used to.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
San Antonio is easy. There's a lot of guns going through there, so they're used to it. I'd be more worried about the airport you're coming from.

+1 I've had the same experience at SAT. Last time thru there, I had an enjoyable conversation about rifles and cartridges with the gentleman checking my rifle.

Last edited by BlueK9; 01/24/19.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

^^^^

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Well it is Montana. When I flew to Alaska it was real easy, but that was a while ago.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
None; things went smoothly in & out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie john
I've gone through SATX several times with no problems. Honolulu is another story.

Okie John

Yup, have gone through there a number of times and every time the female agent turned white at the mention of checked guns. Sea-Tac one time was the only one worse.

Best TSA experience I ever had was in Billings... had a bunch of shotgun shells in a vest... He pulled out used boxes he had saved and boxed up the loose shells for me. I was not even allowed to help!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I fly anywhere to hunt I fly out of San Antonio and I have had zero issues doing so.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I fly into SAT for the 24HCF Hog Hunt every year and it’s hassle free.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Just got back from Texas. It was easier getting through TSA in Billings, MT when Leaving MT than getting through TSA to come home from San Antonio with the rifles, but easier getting out of the airport in San Antonio on arriving than when we got back to Billings. Overall very easy, but prefer the way the Billings TSA handled things a bit better. Neither was a hassle though.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
San Antonio makes you wait and go to a separate room for TSA check just a bit of an inconvenience but it usually runs smooth

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That is true. I had to wait while sitting in an assigned chair well away from my case. I was probably in the room 10 minutes, the majority of it waiting for a TSA agent to arrive. When I picked up my case in San Antonio I just grabbed it and walked out. The agent didn't say a word.

Leaving Billings the TSA agent was already there (smaller airport) and kind of apologized for the requirements to search the case. When I returned to Billings we met my sister-in-law who was flying out that day so it took a little bit to get to baggage claim. My friend told me as I came into sight, "She won't let me take it for you. She needs to see you ID." Once I showed her we were on our way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The longest part of it is usually the discussion of what fire arms you use and favorite deer cartridges. Usually if the agents open the cases it is to admire the weapon.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You could mail them to yourself there. They’ll be waiting when you arrive.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Would that be cheaper than paying baggage fees.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
The longest part of it is usually the discussion of what fire arms you use and favorite deer cartridges. Usually if the agents open the cases it is to admire the weapon.

The TSA agent in San Antonio didn't ask, but the guy who took me into the room didn't know what a javelin was. Said he goes to work and then goes home and stays there and then back to work. Sound like he never leaves the city.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Keep a copy of the TSA regs and specific airline rules you fly on your person.

Put a trigger or cable lock on the gun.

Make sure the case cannot be opened or allow your hand even partially able to reach inside even though the gun wouldn’t come out.

I put a padlock thru all the holes on the case so it is completely secure.

You won’t have any problems.

DO NOT USE THE SMALL TSA RED LOCKS WITH A THIN CABLE AND ALLOWS TSA TO ACCESS WITH A MASTER KEY. TSA WANTS YOU TO BE THEONLY PERSON TO ACCESS THE CASE.

Last edited by abbydog; 02/24/19.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Would that be cheaper than paying baggage fees.

Not when you fly South West and get 2 free checked bags

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by abbydog
Keep a copy of the TSA regs and specific airline rules you fly on your person.

Put a trigger or cable lock on the gun.

Make sure the case cannot be opened or allow your hand even partially able to reach inside even though the gun wouldn’t come out.

I put a padlock thru all the holes on the case so it is completely secure.

You won’t have any problems.

DO NOT USE THE SMALL TSA RED LOCKS WITH A THIN CABLE AND ALLOWS TSA TO ACCESS WITH A MASTER KEY. TSA WANTS YOU TO BE THEONLY PERSON TO ACCESS THE CASE.

My case worked fine and I didn't have to cable lock the gun. I had both United's regs and TSA regs with me. They were the same. My case only needs one lock, but has a steel round bar that goes through 4 buckles. The ticket agent thought it needed two locks even tough the regs don't say that and TSA was fine with it.

In Billings I was right next to the TSA agent as he went over the case. Even helping him move the case around. Some places just aren't as uptight as others.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 02/25/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
369 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.