Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Most folks I speak with have great experiences with CVA but recently I had to send them my muzzleloader twice before I finally sold it.

I sent in my Optima Elite to CVA because it is over 10 years old and I shoot it regularly. My concern was that the metal suffered from fatigue. I've seen photos of muzzels that have blown up. Now those folks may have been doing something stupid but still it shouldn't hurt to ask the manufacture to look at the rifle right?

I sent my rifle in with a note stating I wanted the rifle inspected. To make sure it was still safe to shoot. I followed up with phone calls (2x) so there was no confusion. I got my rifle back with a note from the smith saying he cleaned the rifle. I spoke to the manager and he requested the rifle back and apologized for the miscommunication.

I got the rifle back with a note from the smith that read cleaned and fired the rifle ... it's safe. Well the rifle wasn't clean. He may have cleaned it before he fired it but it wasn't clean. He said he replaced the hinge pin but couldn't remember if the rifle was SS or blued? He said he can't remember every rifle he worked on 2 weeks ago. His manager corrected him and said he worked on it 4 days ago. That new huge pin had surface rust on it. I had to take a picture before I polished it with 000 wool.

I was hoping they would have scoped the barrel but the smith said he shot it and it was safe. In the end I took the rifle with the note from CVA stating it was safe to a local pawnshop and got a fair price.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

So, just because you have seen pictures of "blown up" ML's along with no way to actually know what happened to those ML's and with no apparent problem with YOUR ML, other than pics you've seen, you automatically think your ML "needs" gauging!! A LITTLE PARANOID AYE!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Better paranoid than injured, right?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
so they cleaned it, looked at it and found nothing wrong other than you seeing some pictures of blown up rifles?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If you had the gun for 10 yrs with no issues other then your paranoia and you sent it back and they shot gun and said it has no issues who are you to tell a qualified gunsmith that hes wrong if he says its ok.. why would you wait 10 yrs to get it checked out those issues of barrels blowing up have been around quiet a while.
Pretty much everyone knows CVA customer is now excellent in the past maybe not as good but you just don't hear bad things bout them.
If you had been shooting your gun over the last 10 yrs with zero problems and your gun had no recalls on it then I believe you are the one with the problem not CVA.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Interesting
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-in-the-market-for-a-new-ml#Post13259710

Originally Posted by HaYen
Thanks for the replies folks.

@RememberBaker no part that I can tell needs to be replaced but recently when I cleaned my Optimal Elite I could not / can not separate the barrel from the stock. When I called CVA they said that it sounds like an issue. I could send it to then but that there are no parts for it and it may be a better option to just replace it. I try to take care of the things I own but replacing my 1 and only muzzle loader once every 10 years is not that big a deal to me.

HaYen

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I've seen BigBlocks post here before and I respect his knowledge. To his question I'll say yes I just wanted the barrel checked out for safety reasons. I got what I wanted and that was a letter from CVA stating it was safe.

My bad experience was that I was told the gun was cleaned (2x) and yet there was debri on the rifle. So I question, did he look at the rifle or just say it's safe? He said he put a new hinge pin in but when I removed it the was surface rust on the pin.

@dbowling - I am not a gunsmith but the smith said he cleaned it yet there debri on the receiver face? The smith said he can't remember a gun he looked at 2 weeks ago when his own manage said he looked at the gun 4 days ago. The smith said he put a new pin in the rifle but couldn't remember if it was blued or SS. The smith said he looks at 15 guns a day and he can't remember every single one. I get that but the smith is human and humans do make mistakes.

I loved that rifle it shot great for 10 years but it was 10 years. I send it to CVA. They said it was safe in a responses letter. I included that letter when I sold it yesterday. My concern was I was told it was cleaned and inspected when I can promise you that rifle was not cleaned when I got it back. So did he even look at the rifle?

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
@overkill45 -yes and then there is that. CVA asked me to send it in cause the barrel won't separate from the receiver.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You tap the hinge pin out on that one.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HaYen
Better paranoid than injured, right?

You had give it no thought for 10 yrs....... Paranoid!!!!!!!... grin

Last edited by Highoctane; 01/24/19.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny as shyt the guys who think the gun was gone over by a qualified gunsmith. You can sure tell they've never worked for a gun company. I have and can tell you there are many incompetent fools who work in gun company service departments who are far from being "gunsmiths".

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Your the same poster that posted this at Modern Muzzleloader and when everyone in a nice and civil way told you that you are an idiot.You said you would post it all over the internet.By the way I think they were right.

Last edited by willycc; 01/24/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Geezo Pete criminy...my Manton 16 bore ML shotgun is from the 1850's. Using my fingers and toes and a calculator I'm pretty certain that's more than 10 years and I don't have the least worry shooting it.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by willycc
Your the same poster that posted this at Modern Muzzleloader and when everyone in a nice and civil way told you that you are an idiot.You said you would post it all over the internet.By the way I think they were right.

See that's what I don't get. Why call anyone an idiot? If you have nothing constructive to say .. IGNORE THE POST.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
FORUM RULES

1] Please be respectful of other posters at all times. The ability to refrain from personal attacks, obscenities, and flame wars is a minimum requirement for a log at the Campfire.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You post some stupid silly Schitt then when nobody agrees with you .You don't like it.What did you really want from CVA.Maybe you thought they would give you a new free gun.Thats what it seems like.You want to act like an idiot then be prepared to be called one.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I don't see how I was acting like an idiot? I did admit to sending in my rifle cause I was paranoid. That's fine I still say better paranoid then injured. And no I didn't want a free gun.

Here is my thought. I had a legit issue with a company and I posted my issue. Either a few brand loyalist or company employees got offended and went immediately too " oh that guy is an idiot". Understand no one is perfect that includes me and employees of CVA. I make a mistake, I'm the first to agree. This was not a idiot move on my part. Like I said I got what I wanted; a note from CVA saying this muzzle loader is safe. I do not agree with the smith when he said he cleaned it twice. There was a lot of residue on the breech face. When I removed the breech plug I could tell it was fired. There was surface rust on the hinge pin that was suppose to be brand new.

@willycc if all you are going to do is call me an idiot because you don't like what I said that's fine. You are easy enough to ignore. But it also means I have no respect for your thoughts. If BB said HaYen ur an idiot then it would probably hurt a little more because I respect the guy. So why do you get so upset? Do you work for CVA?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If not one , you sure missed the best chance to ever reach that milestone !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
this place doesnt have rules. Your ass is ours smile

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ouch 😆

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.