Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
.17 Rem or .204Ruger? make a good predator killer for those that don't like needle and thread.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Looking at .30 Remington AR. What's wrong with it?

Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision.

What is the application?

Start with Reality and work from there.

Hint................

Definitely do not want to make a regrettable mistake and I appreciate any responses giving me something to consider.

I do have a couple of 6.5 Grendel barrels on hand, but I'm just not looking to own two more Grendels. As mentioned earlier, my pair of hunting ARs are a 5.56 and 6.5G and I'm thinking I may make up another like pair and use my night vision & thermal on the two 5.56s and conventional optics on the pair of Grendels for daylight use. I don't need two of each but it would be nice to be able to outfit a companion on a hog hunt. Hogs would be the application in any case.

The more I look around the more I am seeing stuff I've never heard of, some of it pretty impressive. The .30 AR looks pretty good on paper, but brass may get pretty rare. It's available, but I have no idea how long that will be the case. I don't mind doing a little bit of work to convert brass but I want to avoid things that could become really time consuming.

I ran across the 6.5 Timberwolf, and that one looks like a Grendel killer from where I sit. Another one from the same outfit is the .30 Sabercat, and it looks pretty impressive on paper also---considering the limitations of the AR15 platform. I've found some commentary on the Timberwolf and need to read through it. I do not want to discover pitfalls that others have discovered already.

Bottom line is, I'm going to assemble a couple more ARs and I'd like to do something different...maybe something that gets more out of the platform than the 7.62x39, 5.56, 6.5G, and the 6.8 SPC. Of those, I think the 6.5 Grendel offers the most potential performance but I like to try out new stuff now and then. There's an awful lot out there these days if you get to lookin around.

Stick, weren't you fiddling with a 6mm Grendel a while back?

I shoot multiple 22 and 6mm Grendels and can't say enough good things,about both chamberings.

The 22 Grendel and 75 ELD's at 3100fps from a 20" spout would own the night,due how flat it shoots.

You couldn't give me a 6.5 Grendel,because they don't have the COAL in a Krunchenticker,to fend good bullets of that bore size. The 243 will Smooch 108's from the box and is a fhuqking hammer!

I'd not do 30cal anything,on a Krunchenticker...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Does every thread going to be ruined with needless bickering ?

Only the one's where Big Stick participates.

Pardon Facts colliding with your Fantasy. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I shoot multiple 22 and 6mm Grendels and can't say enough good things,about both chamberings.

Tell me more about this 6mm! Is it 6.5G necked down, or ??? I'd like to hear all about it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Straight 6.5 Grendel necked to .243" and .224". No Fluff or fhuqking around. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Redding Bushing Grendel die and stay Lapooey brass. Norma fhuqking sucks and so does Hornady. Hint.

[Linked Image]

You could 110 Sugar,if it horns you up. They suck,so I stay 105/8 Hornies(they'll Smooch from ASC mags). Hint.

[Linked Image]

Fhuqkers SHOOT. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Zero fhuqking recoil,fast follow ups and NO bullschit.

Love 'em.

Hint.................(grin)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need a 6mm. Take the 6.8pc to 6mm and be set, (just like necking the 6.5G to 6mm).
The 6x6.8 or (6mm SPC) will take care of everything from coyote to deer.
Another would be the 6x45.
I have both for night & day rigs.
Both are very accurate easy shooting like the Grendel.
Dies wont run $200 and are had OTC.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lapooey Grendel brass has no equal.

The 6x45 has no place in a Krunchenticker...though I prolly shoot a few High Zoot ones in boltguns..................(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, hang with me a bit here. I'm really liking the idea of that 6mm Grendel, but help me out: this is the same as .243 LBC and 6mm AR, no? I'm gettin so much white noise of the webz I can't tell what's straight and what's not. I can see both lowers morphing into this one to be my daytime guns. Still wanna know more about that 6.5 Timberwolf, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man I'm out of touch, never heard of half of these calibers lol....great info

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stick, hang with me a bit here. I'm really liking the idea of that 6mm Grendel, but help me out: this is the same as .243 LBC and 6mm AR, no? I'm gettin so much white noise of the webz I can't tell what's straight and what's not. I can see both lowers morphing into this one to be my daytime guns. Still wanna know more about that 6.5 Timberwolf, though.

All the same...different names. Harrison Beene at AR Performance is your guy.

The quicker you focus case length,bullet length and COAL latitude,the happier you will be by default. The 224 and 243 Grendels are THE schit.

Hint...............

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
22 and 6mm Grendel in the middle,with their 75 ELD and 108 ELD Smooches,inside ASC mag constraints.

[Linked Image]

The schit makes sense...mainly because it makes fhuqking SENSE.

Hint................(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have both a 25-45 sharps and a 458 socom. really like both.
the drawback with the 25 sharps occurs when you neck up 223/556 brass.and to a lesser degree even using head stamped sharps brass. at my age i can't see the size difference in the bullet and run the risk of getting a 25 in one of my 223's. don't know if it would really cause problems but the possibility of the bullet being forced back in the case, then firing, makes me double and triple check if i have them out at the same time.

the 458 socom i just can't get enough of. the OS of the AR platform tames the recoil (i have MS and am recoil aware but not shy)
mine loves the 300g CT silver tips and consistently shoots 1.25 inch at 100 benched. shot a whitetail last season and it fell so fast i thought i missed.

another chambering i really like and is my beside the bed rifle is in 7.62x39. just so much fun it should be a sin.

my favorite of all is my 22 mag. cuts a ragged .75 inch at 100 off the bench. just flat out makes me grin every time i shoot it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, I think I'm sold on 6mm Grendel/6mm AR and now I'm looking at reloading. I noticed in one of your photos there is a Forster 6mm PPC seater. If at all possible I want to use a Forster seater. Is that the seater you're using for 6mm Grendel?

I'm thinking I'll build one on one of the new lowers and convert my 6.5G to 6G so I'll have two of them.

One more question...does that 108 ELD-M expand well on big critters? I do like heavier bullets for penetration but don't much care about the BC even though weight contributes to it, I just think of higher BC as a cherry on top. I think I'd find the 103 ELD-X to be very acceptable. I'm thinking hogs here. That's what attracts me to the AR as a hunting platform.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
i have both a 25-45 sharps and a 458 socom. really like both.
the drawback with the 25 sharps occurs when you neck up 223/556 brass.and to a lesser degree even using head stamped sharps brass. at my age i can't see the size difference in the bullet and run the risk of getting a 25 in one of my 223's. don't know if it would really cause problems but the possibility of the bullet being forced back in the case, then firing, makes me double and triple check if i have them out at the same time.

the 458 socom i just can't get enough of. the OS of the AR platform tames the recoil (i have MS and am recoil aware but not shy)
mine loves the 300g CT silver tips and consistently shoots 1.25 inch at 100 benched. shot a whitetail last season and it fell so fast i thought i missed.

another chambering i really like and is my beside the bed rifle is in 7.62x39. just so much fun it should be a sin.

my favorite of all is my 22 mag. cuts a ragged .75 inch at 100 off the bench. just flat out makes me grin every time i shoot it.

.257cal boolits simply suck and doubly so in 223 case length,shoe horned into AR mag confines. It stacks suck,on toppa suck. The 223 itself,is vastly superior. Hint.

Bless your heart.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stick, I think I'm sold on 6mm Grendel/6mm AR and now I'm looking at reloading. I noticed in one of your photos there is a Forster 6mm PPC seater. If at all possible I want to use a Forster seater. Is that the seater you're using for 6mm Grendel?

I'm thinking I'll build one on one of the new lowers and convert my 6.5G to 6G so I'll have two of them.

One more question...does that 108 ELD-M expand well on big critters? I do like heavier bullets for penetration but don't much care about the BC even though weight contributes to it, I just think of higher BC as a cherry on top. I think I'd find the 103 ELD-X to be very acceptable. I'm thinking hogs here. That's what attracts me to the AR as a hunting platform.

Can you drive a 108 fast enough,to have expansion "issues" at muzzle burn impact distances? Nope. Will you find many(any) of them? Nope.

As mentioned prior,I'd simply shoot the 105 Hornie HPBT at everything and for everything. They are rugged bastards and could give a fhuqk less,about the transition from magwell,up a feedramp and into the chamber. They fly exceptionally(.530BC),are easily sourced,are very uniform Lot to Lot and simply leave nothing to wish for.

Keep schit simple and simply shoot it a bunch.

Hint...................

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the great info, you've been a huge help!

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imagine that.(grin)

Laughing!

Spill your guts,after the fact.

Hint................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Can you drive a 108 fast enough,to have expansion "issues" at muzzle burn impact distances? Nope. Will you find many(any) of them? Nope.

As mentioned prior,I'd simply shoot the 105 Hornie HPBT at everything and for everything. They are rugged bastards and could give a fhuqk less,about the transition from magwell,up a feedramp and into the chamber. They fly exceptionally(.530BC),are easily sourced,are very uniform Lot to Lot and simply leave nothing to wish for.

Keep schit simple and simply shoot it a bunch.

Hint...................

How fast are you moving the 105's ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you do the 6mm Grendel or other variation off that case have a look at Nosers 90 & 95g HBT bullets for medium game.
I run them both in my 6x6.8 and IMO a heavier bullet is not needed on deer & antelope.
Noslers HBT does an excellent job of dropping game.
The 90/95 runs at 3000 fps in my rig 22" bbl, bolt build.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just shy of 2700fps in 20" Rifle Gas.

I rather love the Lapooey Grendel brass,so tend to let the bullet do the work..............

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.