24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I drive a 06 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 gas engine and Allison trans for the last 7 years. I get 13 miles empty and no worse than 11 mpg towing no matter how heavy! I can tow with any diesel 3/4 ton out there without all the maintenance costs and high priced diesel. Also when I bought it I paid about 10K$ less for it than the same truck with a Diesel engine. Never had any issues, I just keep my oil changed and fluids and filters fresh.

Wac em and stack em
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mad_okie
I drive a 06 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 gas engine and Allison trans for the last 7 years. I get 13 miles empty and no worse than 11 mpg towing no matter how heavy! I can tow with any diesel 3/4 ton out there without all the maintenance costs and high priced diesel. Also when I bought it I paid about 10K$ less for it than the same truck with a Diesel engine. Never had any issues, I just keep my oil changed and fluids and filters fresh.

Better look again. The 2019 Ram 2500 can tow up to 19 800 lb, the 3500 maxes out at 35 000lb. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm not sure any '06 truck, whether 2500 or 3500 could tow that much.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by mad_okie

Better look again. The 2019 Ram 2500 can tow up to 19 800 lb, the 3500 maxes out at 35 000lb. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm not sure any '06 truck, whether 2500 or 3500 could tow that much.

There is absolutely no rational argument to say any gasser (especially older ones) can pull and compete with modern 6.6 and 6.7l Turbo Diesels in the Big 3. These trucks are putting out 900-1000 pounds of torque - stock. On flat ground, you may think you keeping up - going over mountain passes out west is a whole different ball game.

The argument is if the cost/maintenance/need of a diesel compared to a gasser is relevant. I tow max 8500 TT 8-10 times a year - for me a 390 HP/400 Torque Tundra is all I need. For my Hunting Partner that is a Horse guy and will tow 6-8 pack animals and gear in a long gooseneck - a diesel was a no brainer no matter the extra costs.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dutch: Since I purchased my 1996 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 extended cab 5 speed stick shift new in 1996 I have not paid one penny - not one cent - not a dime in unscheduled maintenance or repair costs!
I have close to 140,000 miles on it and it just keeps torqu'in on!
It is BY FAR the MOST reliable truck I have ever owned - and I have owned a lot of them!
By the way I have a cab high camper shell on mine and I get 22 to 23 M.P.G. on the highway - off roadin is less of course but when I tow my camp trailer (and all the goodies in the back of the Dodge) on the highway I have gotten as high as 20 M.P.G. (I drive slowish).
I went with the diesel for reliability, low maintenance costs and peace of mind - that decision has worked out in spades for me.
IF.... I were to ever replace my wonderful Dodge diesel (and I probably won't EVER have to!) it would be with another Dodge diesel 4x4 stick shift (6 speeds now!) with the Cummin diesel engine!
My good friend Ben from Big Sheep Creek, Montana has a 1994 Dodge 4x4 with standard transmission with the Cummins diesel engine that has been totaled out not once, not twice, but THREE times!
He has 370,000 miles on his engine - which has never had a bolt turned on it internally, by the way!
He just keeps takin the insurance money and rebuilding that trucks body and the engine runs as good today as it did new!
On an Antelope Hunt a few years back I was getting a tire repaired in Miles City, Montana. There was a fellow there at the tire shop with a Dodge diesel getting a set of new tires on it.
We got to talkin and his Dodge Cummins diesel had 400,000 miles on it! It was the same year as mine and I asked how he got that many miles on it. Turns out he was a civilian contractor for the United States Postal Service and his contract was to drive from Miles City to Billings, Montana every day and back to pick up and drop off mail and packages (he had a big closed custom made higher than cab canopy on his truck).
Six days a week he did this then for the Christmas season he made the round trip TWICE a day!
His comment was a gas truck would cut into his profits and the down time with the gas engines he would be penalized.
He also relayed how he had never had a bit of engine "trouble" in all those miles with that Dodge diesel!
Long live the ultra-reliable Dodge Cummins diesel engine option.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dutch: Since I purchased my 1996 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 extended cab 5 speed stick shift new in 1996 I have not paid one penny - not one cent - not a dime in unscheduled maintenance or repair costs!
It is BY FAR the MOST reliable truck I have ever owned - and I have owned a lot of them!
By the way I have a cab high camper shell on mine and I get 22 to 23 M.P.G. on the highway - off roadin is less of course but when I tow my camp trailer (and all the goodies in the back of the Dodge) on the highway I have gotten as high as 20 M.P.G. (I drive slowish).
I went with the diesel for reliability, low maintenance costs and peace of mind - that decision has worked out in spades for me.
IF.... I were to ever replace my wonderful Dodge diesel (and I probably won't EVER have to!) it would be with another Dodge diesel 4x4 stick shift (6 speeds now!) with the Cummin diesel engine!
My good friend Ben from Big Sheep Creek, Montana has a 1994 Dodge 4x4 with standard transmission with the Cummins diesel engine that has been totaled out not once, not twice, but THREE times!
He has 370,000 miles on his engine - which has never had a bolt turned on it internally, by the way!
He just keeps takin the insurance money and rebuilding that trucks body and the engine runs as good today as it did new!
On an Antelope Hunt a few years back I was getting a tire repaired in Miles City, Montana. There was a fellow there at the tire shop with a Dodge diesel getting a set of new tires on it.
We got to talkin and his Dodge Cummins diesel had 400,000 miles on it! It was the same year as mine and I asked how he got that many miles on it. Turns out he was a civilian contractor for the United States Postal Service and his contract was to drive from Miles City to Billings, Montana every day and back to pick up and drop off mail and packages (he had a big closed custom made higher than cab canopy on his truck).
Six days a week he did this then for the Christmas season he made the round trip TWICE a day!
His comment was a gas truck would cut into his profits and the down time with the gas engines he would be penalized.
He also relayed how he had never had a bit of engine "trouble" in all those miles with that Dodge diesel!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Biggest worry on that truck is fresh fuel, condensation in the fuel, and rust. 6K Mi/yr pfffft!!

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dutch: Since I purchased my 1996 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 extended cab 5 speed stick shift new in 1996 I have not paid one penny - not one cent - not a dime in unscheduled maintenance or repair costs!s truck).
VarmintGuy

Wow, I bet you're feeling lucky that none of the emissions stuff on your trucks has failed yet....

You, sir, are daft.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good truck. But the question is would you replace it with a new diesel if you needed another truck?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have about 155,000 on my 98 Dodge. I have had over $10,000 in repairs . $5,000 this year alone. They were not considered normal maintenance. I bought a 2019 Chevy Duramax . Hope I have,better luck with it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
saddlesore.......you had rotten luck with that Dodge

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
saddlesore.......you had rotten luck with that Dodge

Thats' for sure

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I bet this will persuade even more potential diesel owners to stay with gas.
https://youtu.be/fNMVdAXn0Xo

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned a Chevy 6.5 diesel, 2- Dodge 24v diesels and a Ford 7.4 powerstroke. I used to tow heavy loads everyday long miles in the mountains. The powerstroke was a joke, that thing could hardly get out of it's own way and ate a/t for lunch at $5k a pop, fug that. The first Dodge has a 5 sp manual and was a workhorse with virtually no problems for the 100k I drove it. The 2nd Dodge was an automatic and ate tranny's like the powerstroke. The Chevy 6.5 was my favorite, most don't think much of them but mine was powerful, trouble free, comfortable and fun to drive, it only lasted 300k though.
I no longer pull heavy loads on a regular basis and am happy with a gasser. Hell I could replace the whole motor for the price of a diesel injector rebuild. My 6.0 chevy gets 16mpg and starts on cold mornings. It gets 8-10 mpg towing and the fuel cost less.
I wish Chevy would bring back the 8.1 big block , I would buy one. The new Ford 7.3 looks pretty good and may convince me to try a Ford again, after giving them a couple of years to work the bugs out and prove itself.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have owned a Chevy 6.5 diesel, 2- Dodge 24v diesels and a Ford 7.4 powerstroke. I used to tow heavy loads everyday long miles in the mountains. The powerstroke was a joke, that thing could hardly get out of it's own way and ate a/t for lunch at $5k a pop, fug that. The first Dodge has a 5 sp manual and was a workhorse with virtually no problems for the 100k I drove it. The 2nd Dodge was an automatic and ate tranny's like the powerstroke. The Chevy 6.5 was my favorite, most don't think much of them but mine was powerful, trouble free, comfortable and fun to drive, it only lasted 300k though.
I no longer pull heavy loads on a regular basis and am happy with a gasser. Hell I could replace the whole motor for the price of a diesel injector rebuild. My 6.0 chevy gets 16mpg and starts on cold mornings. It gets 8-10 mpg towing and the fuel cost less.
I wish Chevy would bring back the 8.1 big block , I would buy one. The new Ford 7.3 looks pretty good and may convince me to try a Ford again, after giving them a couple of years to work the bugs out and prove itself.

Chevy needs to bring back a Big Block, Ford is coming out with a 7.3 liter Big Block.

I own a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/ Allison truck its a brute for sure, the newer ones are even more powerful. It will eat about any gas engine truck for breakfast, lunch and dinner as far as towing. I have towed stuff with the small block gas V-8's and they were a joke. The same mountains that I went up towing a 3800 pound camper, the gas motor would have to drop down in 2nd gear (four speed tranny) and rev out of its mind. The 2500HD would go up the same mountain in 5th or 6th gear and not even break a sweet. Empty I have gotten as high as 22.8 MPG on the open road with the Diesel, towing can be 12.5MPG to 14.5MPG, according to how hard I run. Only downfall to the diesel is of course higher fuel prices and repair cost. Where I live gas is 2.24 a gallon right now and Diesel is 2.89 a gallon. If the diesel needs injectors or a turbo its going to cost a chunk of change, the normal maintenance is not real bad. Since I only tow heavy occasionally, I would trade in a heart beat if Chevy or Ford could get serious with a big Block Gas Engine with about 500 Foot pounds of torque.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya BIGR you have one of the good diesels before all the emission crap. Still if something goes wrong bring a big check book. Diesels used to known for reliability before the goobermint regulated the crap out of them.

Another old argument was diesels would last hundreds of thousands of miles, but nowdays gas engines do also. So I stand by my premise if you are a frequent or full time hauler get a diesel otherwise gas makes more sense'

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of very wonderful built in opinion here!

One that is not an opinion - there is NO emissions on a 1996 or my 1997 Cummins!! Nothing!!

Last edited by taz4570; 02/09/19.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the Chevy 8.1 is a beast, I have towed over 28K pounds with my 2500 and haul a gooseneck full of cattle on a regular basis. There is no chance I trade it for a modern diesel truck!!

Wac em and stack em
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.