Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by T_O_M
What would you like to know? .

I read several reviews of this guys stuff where things didn’t arrive as ordered or the item delivered showed very shoddy workmanship. Other reviews place his gear in “most treasured” status. Anybody know this guy well enough to try and explain this?

Mine arrived as-ordered without any manufacturing flaws. There is one thing I'd change .. where the zipper goes from along the side to up and over the top there's a short bend. Working the zipper around that corner sometimes takes both hands. I think that could be remedied by having the radius of the corner a little larger. Doesn't truly matter to me, it does shut and the bugs don't get in.

I do understand that when you are dealing with a very small shop .. cottage industry .. there can be more variation than there might be with a mass produced item, so I'm not challenging the notion that others may have encountered issues. Like I've said, I'm very happy with mine.

Someone else mentioned Tarptent tents ... they are another good option. I generally prefer a side-entry especially as I get older and I'm less flexible than I used to be. I had a Notch ... worked but it seemed a bit confining to me. Currently using a ProTrail ... opens on the end but otherwise, I'm very happy with it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d look at river country tents, about as light as a tarp and they zip closed with decent ventilation. I used one for a week this year on a backpack hunt in Idaho. No issues. Oh and inexpensive with excellent customer service.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks, I had not heard of them so I went to check out their products on their web site. Decent looking stuff. A bit to quite a bit heavier than Tarptent, Mountain Laurel Designs, and other premium products, but at a lot lower cost. I appreciate your input regarding product quality. That would seem to reduce the tradeoffs to 2: weight vs cost. Usually we gain weight AND lose quality when we cut cost so this is a real plus.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the larger size Bear paw hooped bug net, and it works great, but mine came with only 3 tie out loops; he missed one of the foot corners.
It was a small enough problem that I fixed it myself, but still it was something that shouldn’t have made it through a QC check. I use this under a Warbonnet Ground tarp.(lots of space)
Lately my go to set up has become the Hillebergs tarp 5, combined when necessary with the Hillebergs mesh tent 1....
Very lightweight and bombproof... can’t say enough good things about this combo.... only downside is that it’s a little pricey, but in my opinion
the best gear out there

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. Lightweight, built in screens, enter from either side. Nice compromise.

Six Moons Lunar Duo

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A word of warning. I spend a lot of time on ultralight backpacking forums, facebook pages, etc. Bearpaw has a horrible reputation. If you do a google search you'll find story after story of crappy work and then not standing behind their product. There are other cottage makers that put out a top notch product and have put customer service first.

Disclaimer, I've never ordered anything from bearpaw.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all

Some good stuff here...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The new Stone Glacier SkyAir looks pretty cool.
Can be used as a tarp only, with the mesh inner and there are also vestibule and footprint options.
I'm thinking with putting a stove jack in the vestibule and paired with a small titanium cylinder stove, you would have a super light solo hunting shelter as well.

https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/tents/products/skyair-ult

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last season I ditched my Tyvek piece I previously used under my air pad. Used a tigoat bug bivy. Worked great, no condensation, and your bag and pad don’t slip off of it. And no bugs. I liked it.

Sean
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a Thermacell. I've never tried it while sleeping in a shelter, but the cartridges last for 8 hrs and in every other situation I've used them, they've been very effective at keeping bugs at bay.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never needed a Thermacell but I'm told they work. However, I don't want to have to depend on one on a backpack trip. Rigging netting is almost foolproof and you don't run out of fuel. Plus you don't have to sleep breathing the stuff.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like my thermacell but it wouldn't work well enough for that application. From mid June through mid August, our bugs are epic, nightmarish, and it's often a bit windy so you wouldn't build up a volume of air they wouldn't go into. I would not expect it to do much good for sleeping. I use it for two things.

First, I hang it from the front of my shirt while i have my mesh mask raised when I'm eating.

Second, which falls under TMI, is I'll put it against one foot, give it a few moments to build up a "smoke cloud" and chase the bugs off, then I can "cop a squat" without having the skeeters bite my bare ass and "other nearby parts."

As Rock Chuck says, for sleeping, mesh is the answer. Bug bivys are cool, but so are some of the functionally similar but larger options like mesh nests.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.