24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Henrys are fugly as hell. They make Marlins looks pretty.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pointless thread Jim. The campfire's hypocrisy know no bounds.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the Henry haters that flock to these threads own "Plastic" AR's, 700 SPS's, Ruger Predators, Savage Axis,or any number of the other cheap plastic chit that's so popular these days.

Oh....and BTW...they're all "tube fed".....the difference is which end of the tube you load it from.

My octagon barreled Henry 22mag is the most reliable, accurate 22mag I've ever own and that includes Marlins and Winchesters.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
to heavy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The weight far too heavy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
When the Henry lever .22's were first introduced I had a couple of them apart. At that time the internals were pretty crude & poorly finished. Haven't had the opportunity to mess with any of the newer rifles, have they improved the internal workmanship?

IC B2

C
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

So what don't you like about a Henry...

I have dozens of lever actions and none look like these 2...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This post really says it all!

I managed to really tick off some Henry fanboys by stating that they looked as if they were designed by a fairly talented 5 year old on the back of a Peechee folder.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've held two new Remlins in .45 Colt in the last two weeks. One looked like it had no finish on the stock, a canted front sight, a crooked rear sling stud (if you shoot with your arm through the sling, will it offset the sight?:)), and a 10 pound trigger.

The other was an octagon barrel job (heavy), and the lever would drop about a 1/4" and that was it. Lever wouldn't drop further, bolt wouldn't move at all. Counter dude was obviously annoyed, fooled with it, put it up an said "that ones going back to Marlin".

Remlin is 0-2. While the design is supposedly sound enough, one could make some sort of comment about the execution being performed by an inbred learning-disabled grade schooler from whatever state or region you choose to disparage, but I digress..........

I wanted a new gun that fit my needs. I wasn't interested in what brand X did 20 or 120 years ago. Marlin and Henry both had rifles close to the spec I wanted. I'd have bought a Marlin if they had shown any inclination towards quality. They didn't.

Ordered a 16.5" steel framed round barreled Henry Monday.

The Henry's I've held and shot have been pretty smooth, decent triggers, accurate, and the steel framed round barrel models are still reasonably light. Really hope when mine gets here it is consistent with the ones I've fooled with and fondled.

Might not look like Shrapnel's (beautiful guns, as per usual), but I think it'll likely feed, shoot, and show some degree of reasonable quality control when it gets here.

Range report will be coming sometime this spring..........

Last edited by Potsy; 01/23/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have only one Henry.....had to see what all the fuss was about......

Silver Eagle in 22 LR....purty wood.....nice fit & finish....accurate..

its still not a Marlin 39...........(pic 2)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve never shot a Marlin 39.
9422’s seemed to rule the lever .22 market in my AO.

I’ll have to get around to that someday.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Give me an older Winchester or pre Remington Marlin any day over a fuggly ass Henry.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Big Boy Classic in 45 Colt for a while. It shot well enough. Purely personal observations:

1. Too heavy.for action's robustness
2. Hated the way the gold finish reacted to cleaning.
3. Made me feel like it required cotton gloves for handling it.

Again, the above observations are purely personal.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Henry 45-70 and very much like it. It shoots Barnes 300gr. TSX and Speer 400gr. right where I want them. Weight isn’t a problem.
Before I bought it I read all the reviews. People were bad mouthing them saying they were slow to reload. But I looked at it like this, if you couldn’t kill what you were shooting at with 6 rnds of 45-70 their would be no need to reload. I know Henry list 4 in the tube and one in the chamber but it’ll hold 5 in the tube.
I don’t know if my Henry is as smooth running as an older Marlin, but it is a tight and solid piece of steel and wood.
I had to put a Leupold 6x on mine, sometimes my eyes aren’t to good. Especially in the low light woods.
I used quick release rings so I could take it off if I desired.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weight seems to be the issue. I would be interested in seeing some posts with weight.
I have a Marlin Guide Gun but that is not apples to apples.
Here are the .327 Vs .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 weights.
Our Henry .327 Federal weighs 7.05lb.
The Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum weighs 7.15lb.
The Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 weighs 6.50lb..

So the Henry is a half pound heavier than the Marlin .32-20.

Looking on the web sites Marlin lists Approximate weights.
20" 45-70 as approximately 7lb.
Henry says it 18.4" 45-70 weighs 7.08lb.

Marlin says a 20" .45 Colt weighs 6.5lb - approximately.
Henry says a 20" .45 Colt weighs 7.0lb.

Weight does not appear to be an issue.

Slim
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have owned Marlin rifles for almost 60 years. I currently have 4 JM 336s and and a 444s in my safe, and I have had a lot more of them pass through my hands. Yesterday, I purchased a blue round barrel .357 Henry Carbine-my first Henry. By every outward quality appearance measure I can apply, it equals or exceeds any Marlin I have been around. The real test will come when I start pouring rounds through it in the next few days, but I am already pretty damn sure this little guy will shoot. CP.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Incidentally, my new Carbine, referenced above, is the plain-Jane entry level Henry. It weights 6lbs 12ozs. With the gold, silver, case harden or octagon barrel versions of this rifle, you are dealing with the pigged-up (heavy for what they are) versions of Henry rifles and those are of absolutely no interest to me. I wanted a little companion Carbine to go with my Ruger GP 100 .357 and that is what I got with this rifle. CP.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the real world weight on the BBS round barrel CP. Keep us updated on how she shoots. At 6lbs. 12oz. for the .357, my .45 Colt ought come in a shade lighter, due the bigger hole in the barrel.

Amazing that some folks can't savvy how brass frames and octagon barrels make guns heavier................

Just got word that my carbine landed at my FFL!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What is available for trigger upgrades for the Henry rifles (especially .327, if it matters) ? Lever action varmint rifle needs to provide fairly precise "hit-ability".

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't own any henrys,there probably fine built in the U.S. firearms,but i like the older lever guns!! :

[Linked Image] savages

[Linked Image] winchesters

[Linked Image] marlins

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow-you have a truly spectacular collection-pretty damn impressive. CP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. Outstanding.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 14 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.