Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here and there over the years I’ve had the opportunity to spend a night in a tarp shelter. Even in mosquito season, with enough bug spray and keeping covered up I managed to sleep.

But I’m older, and I’d like to avoid the bugs if I have a decent choice. Is there a light enough bug screen that would be worth carrying and provide enough protection from mosquitos?

It’s minus 6 out there tonight and nearly 40 mph winds. Bug season is right around the corner...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cabela's has a 6'x4' bug screen material for $4.99. "Coghlans" brand.

Walmart sells a bug shelter for $49.97.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A few times I've had to "camp" in the vehicle at trailheads in the summer. Bring screen material, roll down windows part way, tape screen to window frame with blue masking tape and you get good ventilation. Have big bore revolver and ear pro close in case of bear or zombie "intrusion".

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just carry some no-see-um screen and either metal spring paper clips or clothes pins. The metal clips are stonger but the clothes pins won't slip as much on the fabric.
Experiment at home.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like using a bug bivy ... open air or under a tarp. My favorite is from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs. REI's bug-hut I is a close second. The Bearpaw WD version merges tub and mesh so there's no need for a separate ground sheet and, zipped, has no gaps for bugs to get in through. The REI unit has a bit more room overhead but isn't integrated with a floor so you need a ground sheet and it is possible to squirm off the ground sheet during the night.

I try to avoid bug spray as much as possible. For me it's the third layer added only after the first two fail. First one is some sort of mesh .. the bug bivy at night or a mesh hat / jacket / gloves during the day, then fog (Thermacell), and finally something with DEET after all else has failed.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A lot of the tarptents tents are like a cross between a tarp and a tent. They are pretty light and offer bug protection.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An online site I looked at has a forum that was discussing bug shelters. One guy said nobody needs one. Just turn your sleeping bag face down and keep the hood over your face and head. Ooookay.

― George Orwell

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've never experienced a problem with insects so severe that it couldn't be solved with Deet. However, I live and do most of my camping out west. Things are drier here and bugs are not as big a problem as they are east of the 100th meridian.

I've spent a lot of time from spring to summer and early fall, in Alaska, where insect swarms can be biblical. But even there Deet does the job for me. I suppose that everyone has different skin and therefore the the problems that come with insects vary from person to person.

So to answer your question, I don't use a bug shelter and know nothing about them.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been doing some reading and it looks like do it yourself netting or the bear paw designs are about the only game in town.

No experience with them, but it seems bear paw has a mixed reputation. Bugs are a big enough deal that I’d spend some coin to avoid them. I’d like to hear more about bear paw?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What would you like to know? I've had mine 4-5 years I guess. I got the XL because the hoop is a bit higher giving more clearance between my face and the mesh. It's more than plenty long and plenty wide. I'm hard-pressed to find anything to complain about. I suppose this may sound odd, but one thing I don't like is the tub material is so slick that when I've folded the bivy, it's hard to keep ahold of it to chase it back in the stuff sack.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Large light weight tarp High and a small light weight 2 man full tub tent underneath. Zip it up and go to sleep...

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_O_M
What would you like to know? I've had mine 4-5 years I guess. I got the XL because the hoop is a bit higher giving more clearance between my face and the mesh. It's more than plenty long and plenty wide. I'm hard-pressed to find anything to complain about. I suppose this may sound odd, but one thing I don't like is the tub material is so slick that when I've folded the bivy, it's hard to keep ahold of it to chase it back in the stuff sack.
Every hear the term 'mud wrestling with a fat girl'? grin It doesn't sound odd at all. Sil-nylon can be darn near impossible to stuff sometimes.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I generally use a really light bivy bag to protect and keep my down sleeping bag dry. It also has a bug net. I wear a baseball cap to keep the mesh off of my face. Mine is made by TiGoat. I also used one for years from Black diamond - the twilight Bivy. But if you are into creating a nest inside a shelter then Mountain Laurel Designs makes a really good one. My kids love it set up inside our teepees - they HATE spiders.

The nest link - https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/bug-bivy-2/

The TiGoat Bivy - http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

Patrick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two comments:

1. DEET eats holes in nylon. I use it, a lot, but with care around nylon fabric.

2. From decades of doing this the best solution for me has been a rectangular box style mosquito net from REI. It can be rigged with or without a tarp. It keeps buzzing mosquitoes well away from my ears.

Over my head I hang one straight end of the net by a jury rig under the tarp roof. I don't use any other tie outs, though a person could. The tied up section makes a vertical net wall a few inches to a foot or so past the top of my head when I lie down. The excess netting can drape on the ground or be tucked under a sleeping pad. The roof and opposite end of the rectangular net is pulled down and tucked under the foot and sides of my sleeping bag. As long as my head and shoulders are in a bug free space, I don't care if the net sags down to my sleeping bag from my waist down. If tied up three feet high or more above my head, it makes a bug free space big enough to sit up in. If you want more space, push the side out a ways from inside and set a boot or other weight on it to hold it in place.

When a double bed size net is rigged sideways, three people can sleep side by side with their heads and shoulders inside the bug free space, which is as wide as a full size mattress is long.

The above describes one way to rig up such a net but there are many others including tying up the netting as intended and making a large full size bed space that is bug free.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you search Amazon for 'mosquito net', you'll find pages of stuff. Some are impractical but you can find a lot of items that can be adapted for camping. For example, this one is an 8'x10' sheet of netting for $10 that can be used to rig about any kind of shelter you like. NETTING They have netting by the roll, too.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
What would you like to know? .

I read several reviews of this guys stuff where things didn’t arrive as ordered or the item delivered showed very shoddy workmanship. Other reviews place his gear in “most treasured” status. Anybody know this guy well enough to try and explain this?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm on the other side of the 100th meridian, and in the Southern Highlands I hardly ever have a bug problem. But if you end up beside some swampy area...

I backpack ultralight with a 1 pound 3 ounce tent, so I don't see a tent nest at several pounds as an option. DDT helps. But if I do get into a bad area I have a small pack of screening sewn into a cone, with a shoelace on the tip. I can tie it to my pole and use a couple of safety pins to attach it to my sleeping bag about waist height. Then spread out the cone for head and chest protection.

To me the sleeping bag is the primary protection. A sealed tent keeps out almost everything if you don't use your flashlight a lot.

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John I live in AK and sometimes the mossies can be unreal.
I've used a Bearpaw for years. I don't like net in my face while I'm sleeping
The Pyra 1 works great for me, I have the long one because I'm 6 ft 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.