Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Today was the opening day of SHOT Show. Very excited to see what's new, who's new, and what exciting products are being shown for the first time. As we have in the past we are looking to expand our offerings this year, if there's something great to add. Looking forward to what this week will bring.

2018 was a very interesting year for us. We added Athlon,to the stable of brands that we carry. We expanded greatly with Hawke, Meopta, Steiner & Schmidt & Bender bringing you special deals and hard to find product.

Day 1:
My first meeting this year was with Athlon Optics. We first started carrying Athlon at the end of 2017 and they have been one of the fastest growing brands out there. Big in the Tactical Scope arena. As I reported last year, they offer a line of both Hunting and Tactical Riflescopes, Binoculars, Red-Dots and Spotting Scopes. The interesting thing about Athlon is that they have many parallel products to other very popular brands and manage to offer their items for 20-40% lower priced than the competition without cutting corners. Great quality, great customer service, great variety of offerings and lower prices. All in all impressive.
They had some great new products to unveil.
A Cronus 10x50 Laser Rangefinder Binocular. Yes, 10x50, 2000 yard unit for $1,299.99. These actually showed up at the store the day before I headed off to SHOT. I didn't have a chance to give a good look as I was pressed for time, however, after checking them out here I feel confident in recommending them. Very bright and the buttons are perfectly placed for ease of operation.
Cronus 15x56 Binocular priced at only $699.99. No these are not Swarovski SLC's, however, there's NOTHING in a 15x56 available near this price that's as nice as these binoculars. They come with both a hard travel case as well as a soft case, and include the tripod adapter. Nice touch smile
Midas 10x25 Compact Binocular which is quite a nice little pocket/glove compartment bino for only $169.99. These arrived into us a couple of weeks ago and we passed them around the store and all the guys were pretty impressed with them.
They added to the Cronus BTR 4.5-29×56 APRS1 FFP IR MIL their floating dot reticle which has been available and become quite popular in the Ares ETR. These too have started to arrive and we have been shipping them as quickly as we can get them in.
Midas BTR Gen 2 Riflescopes in 1-6x24 and 4.5-27x50. These have nicer Turrets than the original Midas BTR's.
We discussed accessories and Athlon will be releasing rings and Cantilever mounts later this year.

Stop #2 of the morning was with Steiner. Last year at SHOT I had a great meeting with Steve, my Steiner point person and we worked on a program to expand our business working together. This worked out wonderfully. Well, as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished (speaking selfishly). Steve was promoted to VP of Operations for Steiner/Burris and we no longer work together. Today I met Derick, for the 1st time. We started working together back in November and I was glad to finally be meeting him and putting a face to the voice and many e-mails.
Steiner announced a host of new products for 2019:
Steiner Military series scopes: the M7Xi and M8Xi, and the amazing M7Xi IFS. "The IFS is the Intelligent Firing Solution that pairs the scope with a built-in ballistic calculator and customizable display, all connected via smartphone app. Transfer data like temperature, air pressure, inclination, wind drift and more directly to the scope eyepiece.
The M7Xi is also available without the IFS option. The 7x zoom gives the operator more flexibility and higher resolution at all distances. The scope builds and improves on the incredibly solid tradition of the M5Xi military scopes that are now in service by military units and tactical competitors worldwide. Available soon with three reticle choices, including the MSR2." These scopes have solid turrets, great glass, smooth focus and zoom. Priced very fairly. I think they have a winner.
IFS looks like early Summer delivery
7xi looks like possibly May delivery
8xi might or might not be this year
DRS1X
"The ultimate CQB sight - lightweight, compact and simple to use. The reticle has three distinct modes, making it extremely effective at extremely close ranges out to significant distances. Perfect for tactical operations or home defense".
Predator AF
"The new Predator AF binoculars come in two sizes (10x42 and 8x30), and there are two main things to point out: the porro prism design allows the binos to remain constantly in focus at any distance over 20 yards. No fumbling with a focus wheel while tracking fast moving game. And they come with Steiner's proprietary CAT™ lenses - it's a special coating that makes game pop from the background. Nothing unseen, nothing escapes".
BluHorizons
"These binoculars, 8x22 and 10x26, have a neat trick that makes them perfect for travel: they automatically adjust to light conditions, giving maximum clarity in bright conditions. No shimmer or glare from water, sand, snow or sky. No squinting, no guessing or eye strain. Just a perfect image. The two compact sizes makes them easy to pack, and they have our Heritage lifetime warranty". We got these into the store a few weeks ago and they are very impressive compacts.

Next stop Meopta and my good buddy Randy. Randy took over Meopta Sport Optics right before SHOT last year and to say I thought this was awesome is an understatement. You see Randy had been with Nikon for a couple of decades. We always wanted to work together, however, Nikon has a corporate policy that they will not sell "blood sport gear" to Nikon photo dealers so we could not buy riflescopes from Nikon. Now that Randy moved to Meopta we got down to business. Randy revamped the pricing structure and we had our best year ever with Meopta. As I am sure you've seen we have been offering some exceptional opportunities on their Riflescopes and Binoculars.
They announced the Optika HD binocular line. Available in 8x42 HD and 10x42 HD, "these lightweight, rugged, magnesium-alloy binoculars are encased in a newly designed shock-proof, rubber-armored exterior for a modern look and feel. The advanced HD lenses, combined with phase-correction and dielectric coatings, deliver incredible brightness, superior color fidelity, edge-to-edge sharpness and increased contrast, allowing hunters to see better in low light. The twist-up eyecups on the Optika HD binoculars are metal with a soft rubber exterior, making them extremely durable and comfortable while eliminating the risk of breakage in the field. Like all Meopta binoculars, the Optika HD series is nitrogen purged and fully sealed for fogproof and waterproof performance in the most demanding conditions. The Meopta Optika HD binoculars offer hunters, shooters, and outdoor enthusiasts a high-performance, rugged, European binocular at an exceptional price point,” For only $299.99 for the 10x42 and $289.99 for the 8x42's these will be a go to glass for many folks. I was very impressed. Looking like a May delivery
Optika6 line of premium riflescopes. "This newest Meopta riflescope series features a 30mm tube, 6x zoom, zero-reset turrets and advanced MeoBright lens coating that delivers edge-to-edge clarity and exceptionally bright, sharp images.
The Optika6 Shooting series is available with numerous first focal plane reticle options, including new DichroTech reticles, which feature battery-free illumination in any light conditions.
The Shooting series is available in the following models: 1-6x24, 3-18x50, 3-18x56, 4.5-27x50. There is also a 34mm 5-30x56 model with ED glass to eliminate chromatic aberration at high magnification. All Optika6 Shooting series riflescopes feature rubber-armored target turrets for a non-slip grip.
The Optika6 Hunting series is available with numerous reticle options in the second focal plane, including new DichroTech reticles, in the following models: 1-6x24, 2.5-15x44, 3-18x50, 3-18x56 and 4.5-27x50. The Optika6 Hunting scopes with capped turrets feature rubber-armored metal caps for the perfect combination of durability and functionality".
The Optika6 Shooting and Hunting scopes also come with illuminated reticle options and windage and elevation adjustments in either Mil or MOA.
All Meopta Optika6 riflescopes are made of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy and feature:
- One-piece tube design
- Zero-Reset setting for quick return to zero
- Zoom ring with a multi-position throw lever
- Rear-facing zoom display for easy viewing of power setting from behind the scope
- Locking turrets
These scopes are well made, come with flip caps and a throw lever and priced between $499.99 - $899.99. These will be taking sales away from MANY other companies I am sure. Also looking at a May delivery date
Meopta also announced a straight Meopro HD 80 Spotting scope, coming in April

From Meopta I headed on over to Hawke. Hawke in an English company very big in the AirGun world as all their riflescopes are AirGun certified. They have made great strides the past few years and have some GREAT offerings priced below what you'd expect. We picked up a couple of fantastic deals:
Panorama 5-15x50 AO 10x 1/2 MIL DOT #15140 for only $229.99
&
Panorama 6-18x50 AO 10x ½ MIL DOT #15150 also for only $229.99
We have sold so many Hawke FFP scopes in the last few months, due to the quality and reasonable price, that I think if you start asking around you'll know someone using and loving Hawke.

Next up, which for the 1st time in all my years of going to SHOT, I was excited to go to Bushnell. Reason being is we have had the same, dead from the toes up, sales rep. for a couple of decades and in 2018 I started working with the head of sales and now maybe we will be able to get in on some of the deals and opportunities that my old rep could never seem to offer. Unfortunately, Marty did not make it to SHOT so some of the wind came out of my sails. I met with Tom and I think we had a good meeting. He needs to meet with some folks at Bushnell and get back with me to work out a program. More as it develops..

Down stairs to see Tim over at Carson. We get binocular tripod adapters and Universal digiscope adapters from them.
I found a very cool new item that I think is a great addition to what we carry, their MonoPix MP-842IS
This is an 8x42 Monocular and Smartphone Adapter bundle. The monocular is 8x42mm with fully coated lenses. The included smartphone adapter fits most smartphones, including dual-camera phones. Simply attach the monocular to the smart phone adapter and your smartphone. There are no additional parts needed. Take pictures and videos and use as a great Monocular.

I've talked with Thomas at Vanguard a couple of times but never really gotten Vanguard fever. I have read some very positive reviews on some of the birding sites about their binoculars and spotting scopes so I made sure to meet with them. Their Riflescopes look good. Nothing really original, however, our discussion revealed them claiming superior quality through and through to the other mfg's similar products and a slightly lower price. I checked out a 15-45x60 spotting scope that is only $249.99 that looked surprisingly sharp and bright.
Their Tripods are quite nice offering some high quality heads and priced extremely competitively.

Last stop today was Swarovski. Great friends over here so I was excited to see them. I gave a heads up on their new products in my Off To Shot post last week....
CL Companion NOMAD 8x30 (leather armoring and bag in wooden box)
CL Companion NOMAD 10x30 (leather armoring and bag in wooden box)
ATX Interior Spotting Scope (includes special tripod head and tripod)
CCT Compact Carbon Tripod - legs only
PCT Professional Carbon Tripod - legs only
CTH Compact Tripod Head
PTH Professional Tripod Head
CCT Compact Carbon Tripod and CTH Compact Tripod Head
PCT Professional Carbon Tripod with PTH Professional Tripod Head
Tripod Plate for PTH
DS 5-25x52 - 4A-I Digital Riflescope
Z5 2.4-12x50 - PLEX
Z5 2.4-12x50 - BRH
Z5 2.4-12x50 - BT-PLEX
Z5 2.4-12x50 - BT-4W
The new Z5's are quite nice and priced well, starting at $1,099.00. IMO a 2.4-12x50 is a perfect hunting scope for the majority of folks. They've actually already started shipping these and we've sold a few. Great scope.
Their tripods have always been quite popular and these I am sure will be as well. Extremely well made and perfect for field work.
The DS 5-25x52-4A-I Digital Riflescope is a marvel of engineering for a very niche market. With a 40mm tube and a price of $4,499.00 it obviously is not for everyone. It is as state of the art as any other riflescope in this room, and that's saying something as EVERYTHING is in this room. If you're a high tech/gadget/latest and greatest kinda shooter then this is for you for sure.
"This product will highlight the optical features of a conventional rifle scope and combine the technology of digital targeting to form an impressive, complete device.
The new dS shows not only the correct aiming point, but also the key ballistic data in the head-up display without any distraction and in real time. The key benefit for hunters is that the correct aiming point will be displayed automatically in the rifle scope. With the press of a button, the dS measures the exact distance to the target, having factored in the magnification setting, air pressure, temperature, and angle. This takes into account the personal ballistic data for your firearm/ammunition combination.
The windage mark intervals are calculated based on the distance measured, the wind speeds set, and the ballistic data.
The display shows the distance information, bullet energy, and other features in a high-resolution head-up display that clearly provides you with all the hunting data that can contribute to a successful hunt.
The scope requires networking with a smartphone. Exchanging data is simple and straightforward via the Bluetooth® interface. The personal data supplied when sighting in the target are input directly into the app and transmitted immediately".

Remembering from years past how great it felt on my dried out throat I stopped on the way back to my room for some ice cream. I switched things up this year and went to the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop. Got a milk shake, 2 parts Cookies and Cream and 1 part Chocolate. Great choice.

OK, Day 1 done. Tomorrow is another day smile

Day Two:

I'm excited about today. We recently became a Sig Sauer dealer and I had my 1st opportunity to meet with them and see all the products. More later on down the page on this smile

1st meeting today was with my friend Paul over at Kowa. In 2018 we sold more of their little TSN-553 & TSN-554 spotting scopes than all other compact spotters combined. I was excited to see Paul and find out what was happening. It is Kowa's 125th year in business an they will be offering new product the 2nd half of the year. I'll have detail's in the Spring. I arranged for some great demo products so give a call next week and we can hook you up.

Remembering the floor plan from last year I made my next appointment with Stefano over at Konus as their booth is fairly close to Kowa and as I get older I try to think ahead when making appointments so I am not running all over the show. Let's face it, I'm not as young as I once was smile
Anyway.... A few years ago we signed up with Konus when we realized that they offer an exceptional value in quality optics. No, these are not top of the line optics, however, in the sub $400.00 arena of Spotting Scopes and Riflescopes they are the go to. They've got great riflescope offerings below $150/$200. that have good glass, etched reticles and a vast selection to choose from. Before you turn your nose up to lower priced optics you should check some of their glass out. It took us years to pick an entry level brand because I'm a glass snob and Konus is priced way below what you'd expect once you check out their products.
They have a very cool new scope that has 10 built in reticles that you change/choose electronically.
"A worldwide exclusivity of Konus and the result of a decade long project of electronic engineering, this one-of-a-kind model is taking advantage of a patented LCD technology that will let you browse through 10 interchangeable reticles for long range shooting, intermediate use, tactical and hunting. This is therefore the most technologically advanced and the most versatile scope in the market, a true quantum leap that is finally bringing the optical industry into the 21st Century."
- 10 INTERCHANGEABLE RETICLES
- 4X-16X ZOOM POWER
- ONE PIECE 30MM ALUMINUM TUBE
- LOCKING TACTICAL TURRETS
- 1/10 MIL ADJUSTMENTS
- WATERPROOF, FOGPROOF, SHOCKPROOF
- FULLY MULTI-COATED OPTICS
TECHNICAL DETAILS:
Magnification x Ø objective: 4-16x44
Reticle: 10 Interchangeable reticles
Field of view at 100MT/YDS: 6.8m/22.6ft at 1x • 2.89m/9.5ft at 16x
Weigh: 663gr - 23.39oz
Length: 333mm - 13.1"
Eye Relief mm: 85mm/3.3" at 4x - 78mm/3" at 16x
Exit pupil mm: 11mm at 4x - 2.7mm at 16x
Click value mm100 mt/in100yds : 1/10 MIL (10mm)
Adjusting range 100mt/yds: 1.6m / 63.7"
Mounting Length mm/inches: 160mm / 6.29"
We also picked up a couple of great deals for you. Their KonusPro 1.5-5x32mm Rifle Scope Aim-Pro Reticle 1" Tube 1/4 MOA Matte Finish #7230 for only $49.99. This will be on our site in the next day or 2.
& KonusPro-M30 1.5x-6x44mm - Engraved 30 30 with Dual Illuminated Center Dot #7285 reduced from $234.99 to only $129.99

Right down the aisle is my next appointment with ScopeCoat. Nothing fancy. Neoprene covers for your riflescope while it's mounted. A great idea to keep your investment protected for under $30.00. They make these covers for a ton of products, however, we concentrate on riflescope covers.

OK, upstairs to my meeting with my buddies at Leica. Lot's of great discussions today.
Let's start with what could be the hit of SHOT Show, their new Leica CRF-2800.com Laser Rangefinder. This is the first dedicated compact laser rangefinder capable of precise distance measurements up to 2,800 yards/2,600 meters and benefits from easy smartphone programming via Bluetooth and the new Leica Hunting App. This means Leica ABC® Ballistics can be customized directly through a smartphone as well as a Kestrel Elite weather meter.
The Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.COM offers hunters and long-range shooters three ballistic outputs in addition to the measured distance. Depending on the ballistic data required, when using Leica’s ballistic program, the CRF2800.COM provides either hold over value in inches, centimeters or comeups in MOA or MILs to 1,000 yards, or equivalent horizontal range (EHR) to 1,200 yards/1,100 meters. When connected with the Kestrel 5700 Elite with Applied Ballistics, the CRF2800.COM will display both elevation and windage corrections as far as the range finder can read. Data is shown on the integrated LED display, which automatically adjusts to ambient lighting conditions. The scan mode measures environmental conditions and target distance every 0.3 seconds. Between 10 and 200 yards, the CRF2800.COM displays distance to the tenth of a yard, an especially useful feature for archers. Thanks to its compact size and weight, it can easily be carried in a shirt pocket.
The menu of the CRF has been extended to include a Bluetooth menu (BT) with new settings:
• APP (Connection to a smartphone)
• LAT (Latitude, Connection to a Kestrel Elite Wind meter)
• OFF (Bluetooth off)
Combining the best ranging capability, Applied Ballistics through a Kestrel wind meter, ease of use, Bluetooth technology and compact design, no other compact range finding solution comes close.
Also, so happy with our continued discussions about customer service. Leica has really stepped up in this area, as I am sure you'll agree. They made a commitment last year and damn if they didn't come through. Great job.

Last minute call got me a meeting with my friend Javier at PRG Defense. He used to be with Flir and reached out to me and said we needed to get together so I can check out PRG's offerings so upstairs I go. Glad I did. They have some amazing Thermal Optics. A few that stuck out:
PVS-14 Monocular Night Vision Device
Automatic brightness control protects the operator from bright lights in the field of view.
• Optional autogating adjusts the brightness of the image tube to achieve the highest quality image resolution under varying light conditions.
• Compact, rugged, and waterproof.
• Hand-held or helmet-mounted for hands free usage.
• Manual gain control.
• Ergonomic, simple, easy to operate controls
Python TS25-384S
High-performance thermal imaging monocular
Advanced Shutterless technology
Durable and lightweight design
Easy and intuitive operation
Manually adjustable eyepiece and objective lens
Wide variety of color palettes
Multiple reticle patterns
Digital zoom: 1x, 2x, 4x
Wireless remote control