Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anybody familiar with this area? I know they had a huge fire last year should be a good place to hunt this year! I’m thinking first rifle backpack hunt.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only seen the western portion of it, but it is some STEEP country.

fire there was pretty intense, but I haven't been there since it happened.

I'd want to be sure the area had rebounded before planning a trip into it.

I believe Hesp lives in that area and may be able to comment on conditions.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey Billy. Hermosa creek is in the upper or northern half of unit 74. There was a considerable area burned. But this will turn out to be a positive thing. . Late last summer we got some rain there & new vegetation started to grow. Always amazes me how this country can rebound after a fire.. This spring after the snow melts there should be an explosion of new growth. Animals will be attracted to this area for several years . Should be some great hunting over the next 8 to 10 years. There definitely is some steep country but it can gentle out on top. . There is good road access. For the early hunts like archery & muzzle loaded a two drive will work fine. & most years the first rifle hunts gets by with out snow. Every now & then that first hunt can get snow so be prepared. Another aspect of the burn is that you can spot game way off due to the lack of vegetation. For those who have the time, a pre season trip can be very informative. . .Now of course it is buried under a considerable amount of snow so last years drought is no more.

Last edited by Hesp; 01/30/19.
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks to you guys for the info!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One think I forgot to mention & I apologize Last year after the Unit 74 fire was out the roads remained closed , even thru the season. In the past other areas that have had big fires like unit 75 & 77. .had the roads closed for two seasons. I would assume the gates will be locked again for this coming season. The reason is because of the danger of falling dead trees.Until the trees at least along side of the road are dropped expect a road closer. Later this spring I will call the Forest Service for an up date. A closure this coming season is a very real consideration.

IC B2

A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hesp, that’s exactly what I was wondering if the roads and trails will even be open again by the season Im hearing a lot of damage was done by the fire!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OK here's the latest scoop. I just got off the phone with local Forest Service office. The lower road into Unit 74 just above Durango may or may not be open.This will be determined later this spring/summer. The upper road into 74 was open last year & will be open this season. This will give at least some walking ability into the burned ares. There is a road on top of the ridge that is open that will get your very close to the burn. For up to date info, later on the phone # of the local Forest Service office is: 970-247-4874. Hope this helps you a bit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.