Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by 4th_point
The fuel economy complaint is a non-issue. The Tundra is really no worse than any other V8 truck with 1/2-ton capacity and spark ignition.

Check Fuelly. There are literally millions of miles logged from GM, Ford, RAM, and Toyota owners. Guess what? They all get about the same fuel mileage.

The fuel mileage reported follows a normal distribution. If you are in the tail ends of the distribution, you are an outlier. And that doesn't reflect the majority. That is the data, whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

This isn't rocket science. The various makes of 1/2-ton trucks all weight about the same. All of the engines have similar efficiency. Same with the drivetrain losses and aerodynamics. There are some gimmicks, like cylinder deactivation and smaller engines with turbos, which can have better fuel economy under light loads. But, when you get on the gas, the power demands are similar. The efficiencies are similar.

There's no free lunch.

Yup. Much ado about nothing, IMO. Easy to plan and budget for fuel, not so much for breakdowns and repairs.

Exactly

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/to...el-22-litre-5-speed-low-miles-hilux.html
Here's your Toyota diesel pickups. If you didn't hot rod you could get close to 50mpg on the highway.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WTM45
Gearing ratios in the transmission and rear ends make a difference too.

That right there is making a big difference in these newer trucks, both gassers and diesels. Heck, I'd bet Ford's new 7.3 gasser isn't any worse than my 2020 Cummins in mileage. Having the right gears definitely makes a big difference.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, if you want a V8 Tundra, you better get one. Dealership just told me that next gen will be all V6s and no diesel. No more V8s. Maybe it’s just a rumor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep. The overall ratio is more important than just the diff ratio. Some people get hung up on the diff ratio, but it doesn't mean much unless you factor the tranny and transfer case into the equation.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yep. The overall ratio is more important than just the diff ratio. Some people get hung up on the diff ratio, but it doesn't mean much unless you factor the tranny and transfer case into the equation.

For sure. With double OD’s on the newer automatics you can run higher numerical gear sets in the rear end to assist with getting a load rolling and then enjoy lower RPMs out on the open road. Makes for a versatile combo.

Wasn’t too long ago you had to decide 3.55’s for Highway and lighter towing with decent mileage or 4.10’s for all out towing with screaming RPMs while cruising empty.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by beretzs

For sure. With double OD’s on the newer automatics you can run higher numerical gear sets in the rear end to assist with getting a load rolling and then enjoy lower RPMs out on the open road. Makes for a versatile combo.

Wasn’t too long ago you had to decide 3.55’s for Highway and lighter towing with decent mileage or 4.10’s for all out towing with screaming RPMs while cruising empty.
My '08 Dodge 2500 has 3.73. Diesel, manual tranny. At 60 mph, it's right on 2000 rpm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by beretzs

My '08 Dodge 2500 has 3.73. Diesel, manual tranny. At 60 mph, it's right on 2000 rpm.

That’s exactly like my 06 was with the G56. It’d pull a trailer in 6th and 27k combined without ever having to worry about downshifting but man it sucked empty out on the big roads running 70-75.

My 14 had the Manual but with 3.42’s and was much nicer on the Highway and I just used 5th gear if I was pulling heavy trailers. Worked the same but it took my brain a little to realize I couldn’t run it in 6th like the 06 even though they were basically the same truck.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one of the 1/2 ton Silverado with the 3.0 liter inline 6 cylinder diesel and I like it alot so far. About 8000 miles and the average over that time is 23.5 mpg. I have had trips on 2 lanes at 58-62 mph that have averaged 28 mpg over 200+ miles. Quiet and comfortable to drive.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by duckster
I have one of the 1/2 ton Silverado with the 3.0 liter inline 6 cylinder diesel and I like it alot so far. About 8000 miles and the average over that time is 23.5 mpg. I have had trips on 2 lanes at 58-62 mph that have averaged 28 mpg over 200+ miles. Quiet and comfortable to drive.

Those 1/2 ton diesels are mighty slick. The mileage they’re getting is pretty darned nice.

Semper Fi
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Just my perceptions: My issue with a 1/2 ton diesel is that it does nothing a half ton gasser won’t do, except get more MPG....they don’t tow more or haul more, just cost more to buy and maintain. It seems more practical (for true truck use) to have a 3/4 ton, if you NEED a diesel....but I don’t have one, and Biden gas may end up at $8/gallon and change our dynamics to running golf carts.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The cost for the diesel is exactly the same as the 6.2 liter gas motor in the Silverado, same torque and much better mileage. Seemed like a decent way to go for me as I drive quite a bit for work, about 25k per year, much of it highway

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I drive a 2014 Suburban. Had it for a couple of years now and I'm not sure what it gets. It's what I wanted.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Judman
Still don’t see the allure of a diesel, unless your pulling a stock trailer or 5th wheel constantly...

It’s all about fuel mileage. I have a buddy with a new GM 1/2 ton with the baby Dura Max and another buddy with a new Ram 1500 Eco Diesel. Getting 25-30 mpg if you drive a lot of miles throughout the year is pretty damn nice. Add to that that Diesel has been cheaper than gas around here this year, what’s not to like.

And they paid for it upfront and will pay for it again in general maintenance costs. How much does DEF run nowadays?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've been driving a 2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Ecodiesel for the last 6 months and it runs circles around any other 1/2t crew 4x4 I've ever driven, and I've owned and driven the all. Avg 23.6 mpg combined in that time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JG,

Get back to us at 6 years. Then it’ll mean something. wink

(Just hacking on ya. Glad you’re happy with your truck.)

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 42 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.