Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't heard or seen anything lately on Toyota possibly offering a 5.0 liter Cummins diesel in the Tundra. Anyone know if this is still in the works?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good buddy is a 10 year veteran sales manager at our local Toyota dealership...deisel tundra is not happening...at least not anytime soon as Toyota is not going down that road...2020/21 tundra will have some engine updates for power/mileage is the 5.7 as well as an 8 speed transmission...at least that’s what they have been told.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Good buddy is a 10 year veteran sales manager at our local Toyota dealership...deisel tundra is not happening...at least not anytime soon as Toyota is not going down that road...2020/21 tundra will have some engine updates for power/mileage is the 5.7 as well as an 8 speed transmission...at least that’s what they have been told.

That is the same story I have been told at a nearby dealership.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pretty sure the 5.0L Cummins in a Toyota idea died when Nissan implemented it 1st.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
Pretty sure the 5.0L Cummins in a Toyota idea died when Nissan implemented it 1st.

And then Nissan killed it.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone clamors for a 1/2 ton diesel when they bring them out they barely sell them. Also I think 5-6 yrs ago president Toyota North America said no diesel in the tundra. Was rumor they were going to put turbo charged v6 in the tundra but that was supposed to happen 2-3 yrs ago. See how far that went..

Last edited by 79S; 12/29/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Everyone clamors for a 1/2 ton diesel when they bring them out they barely sell them. Also I think 5-6 yrs ago president Toyota North America said no diesel in the tundra. Was rumor they were going to put turbo charged v6 in the tundra but that was supposed to happen 2-3 yrs ago. See how far that went..

I think it was the new product development leader at Toyota, or whatever they call that role internally, who publicly stated that Toyota did the market research and couldn't make a business case for a 1/2-ton diesel. They had no desire to pursue it from there, at least publicly.

I worked with some former Cummins employees involved with their engine development, on the engineering side. Actually two of them became my boss, and I took a class from one of their former department managers for diesel engine development. As I recall, I believe that they said that Cummins developed the engine for RAM and had a good relationship with them from the Dodge days. Anyway, RAM backed out, which made Cummins look for a new buyer. Toyota didn't want it. Nissan did.

That is what I recall, but am not really a diesel engine guy and never paid too much attention to it.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/29/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I guess they are content with their 10 MPG V-8... The new style Tundra's are land yachts, they would have benefitted from diesel power. That or the twin turbo charged v-6 isn't a bad idea.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by 79S

I think it was the new product development leader at Toyota, or whatever they call that role internally, who publicly stated that Toyota did the market research and couldn't make a business case for a 1/2-ton diesel. They had no desire to pursue it from there, at least publicly.

I worked with some former Cummins employees involved with their engine development, on the engineering side. Actually two of them became my boss, and I took a class from one of their former department managers for diesel engine development. As I recall, I believe that they said that Cummins developed the engine for RAM and had a good relationship with them from the Dodge days. Anyway, RAM backed out, which made Cummins look for a new buyer. Toyota didn't want it. Nissan did.

That is what I recall, but am not really a diesel engine guy and never paid too much attention to it.

You are correct before the 2008-2009 economy meltdown Dodge/Ram was working with Cummins so they could put a diesel in the ram 1500. From what I read all the hard work was done it was like 80% complete. Then 2008 hit Dodge almost went bankrupt and they scrapped the whole thing. Then 2014-2015 Nissan came along and bought the motor.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

I guess they are content with their 10 MPG V-8... The new style Tundra's are land yachts, they would have benefitted from diesel power. That or the twin turbo charged v-6 isn't a bad idea.

Man if Toyota put a Cat diesel in the tundra I be the first one to get one! They say Cat had diesel motor for HD trucks, GM was close to making a deal with cat the only hang up GM wanted the same warranty that Cummins gives Ram 100,000 miles. Supposedly Cat wouldn’t do that. GM walked and that’s how they ended up with an Isuzu diesel..

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a big fan of the tundra design but not a fan of 13 mpg either

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m a big fan of the tundra design but not a fan of 13 mpg either

While they're at the drawing board improving mileage, how about a 6.5'+ box to go with the Crew-Max cab as well. 38Gal fuel tank mandatory when so configured as well.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having owned them since 2008, they really need to upgrade some stuff. The mileage is stupid. Current 2015 just passed 100,000 without needing a single repair but the truck needs updating before I'll buy another. Fortunately it will last while I wait I guess.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Their primary market is suburbia. We bought a pickup in '12 so it's been 8 years but at the time the Toyota dealer told us that they were sticking with what suburbia wanted. At the time, 8' beds were very hard to find. In fact, the dealer here could only find 1 for us to even look at. Diesels and 3/4 tons were off the drawing board because suburbia wouldn't buy them in large enough numbers to be profitable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m on my 3rd Ram Cummins, 06, 14 and now a 20. I’ve had nothing really to get lathered up happen to any of them.

A Toyota Tacoma or Tundra would be slick but Toyota has an AWESOME diesel in their Hilux Overseas. Incredible motor. The Tundra might’ve been wicked with the Cummins that Nissan uses.

I’ve driven a few of the Nissans and man I liked them. All of the diesels suck for mileage though in my opinion. The newer ones. Deleted my 14 was decent, my 06 5.9 was okay, my 20 is a pig but man, 1000 ftlbs don’t stink when I’m towing. It’s an absolute animal.

Plus, no one wants the 10k up charge for a diesel really. I want a diesel Rubicon so bad I can taste it but my 16 Rubicon with the 3.6l sure ain’t a bad motor. Quick, decent on gas (for a Jeep) and just runs its guts out.

I’m a huge lover of diesels but man, if you aren’t going to work the new ones they fill up DPFs pretty quick, take awhile to break it, etc.

But I hope they keep making more diesels as technology will get them better I think. They are some smooth animals today, if you need them and will utilize the power.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Toyota used to offer lil smokeys:
The 1hdt and the 12ht.

If you want a diesel toyota, got to Alberta or b.c. with $7500 for a hdj 81 or hi 61. Do a truck conversion, which is super easy. Or, buy an fj 45 pickup and slap a 12 ht and 5 speed h55 in er.

You'll get more satisfaction than crying on the internet.

Driving from the right hand side is no big deal. Mine towed a 24 ft twin axle trailer with my 1976 3/4 ton dodge plow truck.

Long since sold, but my hdj 81 was imported from Japan. It had a full floating rear axle, a heavy duty transmission, lockers front and rear and a nice inline 6 Toyota turbo diesel.

It was not a wallowing marshmallow, like what we get in the United States.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm over land cruisers nowadays though, because 67-72 chevys with built 292 inline sixes and one ton axles will stomp the expensive land cruiser bullsht. Not to mention, 1/4 the price to build. They look better too.

Try going to napa for a fuel filter for a 1hdt

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Best fuel economy I ever got towing, was my 6bt cummins after I installed fresh injectors, rebuilt the turbo and adjusted pump timing+bumped up fuel pressure.

I got 17 mpg, towing a 20 ft twin axle trailer full of 30 windows, steel roofing and tounge n groove flooring. A Toyota engine gives that type of fuel economy towing NOTHING.

Fkn Toyota fan boys, I used to be one of yas.

Best cold start was 57 below zero while the coolant looked like a green slushy: 6bt cummins.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool Toyota’s Mainer. Those are tough looking rigs.

6BT is king in my book. If the world was coming to an end and I had the time I’d have one of those. They run on about any oil based fuel you can get in the tank and require 12V’s to get down the road.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Toyota isn't gonna put a diesel in a half ton Tundra, forget about it.

I've got a couple of trucks, a 2016 Tundra and a 1999 dodge/cummins. At the time I bought the dodge diesel fuel was 1.20 a gallon and unleaded was 1.50, my truck unloaded will get 22 mpg on the highway. Today diesel fuel is 30-50 cents a gallon more than unleaded and the new diesels get about 15 instead of 22 like my dodge. The cost of operating one is through the roof compared to my old truck. When I bought mine in 1999 I could drive my truck about 50% per mile cheaper than a comparable gas truck, new diesels now cost about 50% more than a gas truck per mile to operate. The poor mileage of newer diesels and the high fuel price have pretty much gutted the market for diesel trucks as daily drivers.

Admittedly the new ones pull great, but unless you have to have one for you pulling needs they're too expensive for my blood, the cost advantage now is heavily towards gas. My 2016 Tundra is a great truck, absolutely nothing has ever gone wrong with it. It does suck the fuel though, 15 mpg or so but that's about what a new diesel will get empty using fuel that's more expensive than gas. It doesn't pull like the diesel, my old dodge now has about 400,000 miles on it and gets strictly used for pulling farm trailers.

I wish Toyota would sell a diesel Hilux in the U.S., I see them all over the world in my travels but the EPA makes it impossible. The US has the strictest diesel emissions standards in the world which is why our diesel fuel mileage sucks so badly. I'd be all over a four cylinder Hilux that got 30 mpg but the EPA won't let it happen. Caterpillar doesn't even make engines for highway legal vehicles any more, they quit making them when the emissions requirements got too bad.

The redesigned Tundra is supposed to have a twin turbo V6 instead of the 5.7L V8, the rumor is the fuel mileage will be much better. It's a long time past when they should have fixed the mileage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fuel economy complaint is a non-issue. The Tundra is really no worse than any other V8 truck with 1/2-ton capacity and spark ignition.

Check Fuelly. There are literally millions of miles logged from GM, Ford, RAM, and Toyota owners. Guess what? They all get about the same fuel mileage.

The fuel mileage reported follows a normal distribution. If you are in the tail ends of the distribution, you are an outlier. And that doesn't reflect the majority. That is the data, whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

This isn't rocket science. The various makes of 1/2-ton trucks all weight about the same. All of the engines have similar efficiency. Same with the drivetrain losses and aerodynamics. There are some gimmicks, like cylinder deactivation and smaller engines with turbos, which can have better fuel economy under light loads. But, when you get on the gas, the power demands are similar. The efficiencies are similar.

There's no free lunch.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/30/20.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,513
Posts18,452,664
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.