Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
ALICE pack and pack frame.

I packed with an ALICE for years. God I hate that pack. Get a new pack that holds the load more vertically and close in and has load lifters. You'll thank me.

Those with bungees and ratchet straps just need to learn a trucker's hitch and carry para cord.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image]

What you trying to say.

Reminded me of your fleet of white Toyotas...

Death machines yes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by headwatermike

I packed with an ALICE for years. God I hate that pack. Get a new pack that holds the load more vertically and close in and has load lifters. You'll thank me.

Those with bungees and ratchet straps just need to learn a trucker's hitch and carry para cord.

Good idea...I can still cut the paracord off my pack when my trucker’s hitch turns into a square knot. 😜

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by headwatermike

Good idea...I can still cut the paracord off my pack when my trucker’s hitch turns into a square knot. 😜

And there's that. I go through miles of the stuff. It's used to keep elk from sliding, hang quarters if being left, tie up quarters for dragging, and tying onto the pack. It's super light, cheap, ties well, and it's strong. It cuts into your hands if you pull it so you have to fashion a handle or something if you want to pull on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our local Ace Hardware sells roll ends of paracord, 4 100' coils for $10. Colors are mixed and some coils will be varying color. At that price, you can use it for anything. I don't know if all Ace's have it, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Side note, nothing works better than bungee cords for securing meat to a packboatd, or a quad....

Can't use a packboat up here, streams aren't big enough.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Our local Ace Hardware sells roll ends of paracord, 4 100' coils for $10. Colors are mixed and some coils will be varying color. At that price, you can use it for anything. I don't know if all Ace's have it, though.

I buy 100 ft lengths of new clothes line at Walmart. Not as strong as paracord, but never had it break

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
...I have kicked it loose on steep slopes and restarted my hike 200 yards later...

This reminded me of a spike bull that I killed one year high up on a fairly open, steep mountain. After I field dressed the bull I started to drag him down the mountain. It was steep enough that after I would drag him a few yards, he would start sliding faster than I wanted to stay in front of him, so I would step aside and he would keep sliding down until he would pile up on a tree. I'd then get down to him and repeat the process. After doing that several times I decided to get him sliding, then to jump on him and ride him down, and to jump off just before he would hit a tree.

The mountain was steep enough for a good half mile that I was able to "ride" that elk down almost to the bottom. When I got to the bottom I walked the couple of miles back to my camp where I got my horses and they carried him out the rest of the way.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I buy 100 ft lengths of new clothes line at Walmart. Not as strong as paracord, but never had it break

“Mule Tape” was mentioned before...It’s extremely strong for many field uses, and light....Amazon or eBay 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've often thought that if I could get (2) 1000 ft spools of paracord or something similar I'd like to try rigging a reverse zipline with a suspension line and a haul line.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm, not sure about that Al. Think I’m gonna stay with tying quarters on my pack with the stuff. Would love to see you do it though 😎

Aside, I forgot to take pictures of my Capstan set up today before I left town for a few days...I’ve gotten a few PM’s asking to see what I’m using...Have to wait until I get back home...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I've often thought that if I could get (2) 1000 ft spools of paracord or something similar I'd like to try rigging a reverse zipline with a suspension line and a haul line.
A zipline needs a cable FAR stronger than the weight being moved, plus the posts at both ends have to be extremely strong. It wouldn't take much weight at all to break a 1000' paracord stretched between 2 trees. I've long since forgotten the math involved but a weight hanging in the middle of a stretched cable will exert far more tension on both sides of the rope than it would if it was just hanging straight down on the cable. The tighter the cable, the greater the stress on each side.
A poor man's winch can be rigged with a cable between a stuck car and an anchor by getting the cable as tight as possible then pulling at a 90 degree angle in the middle of the cable.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Someone asked me the other day if alpacas could be used for packing. In short, don't bother. They don't have the bone structure for carrying weight plus they're just too small. Goats or llamas will do you a much better job and cost a lot less. I wouldn't put more than 15 to 20 lb on an alpaca. They'll be more prone to injury on the trail than either llamas or goats because of their light bone structure and they cost too much to risk injury like that.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've long since forgotten the math involved but a weight hanging in the middle of a stretched cable will exert far more tension on both sides of the rope than it would if it was just hanging straight down on the cable.

I'd like to see the ciphering behind that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's 1 site with something to play with. There are others. It's been 50 years since I had to calculate anything like that and I've long forgotten how it's done. HANGING MASS

This is also important when stretching a rope between 2 trees for hanging meat...or a hammock. A person's weight in a tightly stretched hammock will put significantly more stress on the ropes than a with a sagging hammock.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Cabela's Alaskan II works just right for me...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've long since forgotten the math involved but a weight hanging in the middle of a stretched cable will exert far more tension on both sides of the rope than it would if it was just hanging straight down on the cable.

I'd like to see the ciphering behind that.

I think it's a leverage thing, maybe someone will explain.

I do know this.

It you are using a rope to control how a tree falls.

You can put more force on the tree if you tie the rope to something than if you just pull on the end.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brinky72
For you goat owners. What breed is best suited for hauling? And outside of initial purchase, how much do they run you dollar wise to keep. Just curious. Once upon a time I was thinking of a couple of solid Rottweilers or maybe mastiffs that were cart trained would be handy. Not sure if picking up three pound dog turds would outweigh throwing hay bales.

Sorry I missed this. I use Alpine and Alpine crosses. I think they are the easiest to find with good size. If I bred my own I would do Alpines hybridized with any of the Swiss type breeds (Alpine, Toggenburg, Oberhasli, Saanen). Two of my best kids are Saanen and Togg crosses.

Plan about $30-$40 per goat for feed per month. I run pretty close to $200 for my 7 each month. You may not need or want 7, but my hope was to be able to handle a camp for 2-3 guys and one elk out on the same trip. 6 would probably do that.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by brinky72
For you goat owners. What breed is best suited for hauling? And outside of initial purchase, how much do they run you dollar wise to keep. Just curious. Once upon a time I was thinking of a couple of solid Rottweilers or maybe mastiffs that were cart trained would be handy. Not sure if picking up three pound dog turds would outweigh throwing hay bales.

Sorry I missed this. I use Alpine and Alpine crosses. I think they are the easiest to find with good size. If I bred my own I would do Alpines hybridized with any of the Swiss type breeds (Alpine, Toggenburg, Oberhasli, Saanen). Two of my best kids are Saanen and Togg crosses.

Plan about $30-$40 per goat for feed per month. I run pretty close to $200 for my 7 each month. You may not need or want 7, but my hope was to be able to handle a camp for 2-3 guys and one elk out on the same trip. 6 would probably do that.

Just for comparison, my 5 llamas will eat a bit less than 1/2 bale of grass hay a day, total. Grass hay bales usually run in the 70 to 80lb range so a ton will last about 50 days. Right now around here grass hay is selling for about $9/bale or $225/ton. That works out to about $25 to 27/llama/month. They have an extremely efficient feed conversion rate and will eat far less per lb of body weight than most other large animals. You can feed them alfalfa but they get too fat on it. In the spring, you have to work harder to get the fat off to get them in shape for packing.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kuiu Icon 5200 and my legs.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,336
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.