24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in 2006 I tried a Granite Gear Flatbed... not comfortable at all...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Is that a satellite dish I see on that strap?

[Linked Image]

Ted, it is indeed... that's the Gen I you sent me a few years back!

Hopefully you get "more channels" with the newest model Frankenstud

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It takes two horses to carry a bull out. The only bone we leave in is the femurs. A horse can carry a three hundred pound man pretty well. But 200 lb of dead weight on a pack saddle is a pretty hard and fast rule. Unless you are packing on a Belgian, I suppose. Never saw anybody try that.

She's not a Belgian, but my Percheron cross has carried a few bulls out in one trip. 4 quarters, tender loins, back straps, and horns. Bone in. Doesn't seem to even be a little bit of an issue. I guess none of them were the World's biggest bulls. One was my busted up 6 point from this fall. There are actually quite a few drafts and draft crosses being used to ride and pack or both like mine. Crosses are kind of a fad right now, but outfitters have been using them for years.

I've packed more than a few loads on full percherons. Only real issue is I'm 5'9" and the tops of those loads is a lot higher than that.

I'd rather have two for it but one if big enough and in shape can and does do the job.

Last edited by Ralphie; 02/04/19.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My first elk hunt back in about 1966, we rented two full percherons, 17 hds. First day of the season, we killed three bulls.Those two percherons carried all three out in one trip. One was 36 and the other 26 according to the old sheep rancher we rented them from. At 5'-6" I had a hard time even helping load them.
Yea,the outfitters I know use them for guys that say they are 220 #'s and show up just shy of 300

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/04/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by brinky72
For you goat owners. What breed is best suited for hauling? And outside of initial purchase, how much do they run you dollar wise to keep. Just curious. Once upon a time I was thinking of a couple of solid Rottweilers or maybe mastiffs that were cart trained would be handy. Not sure if picking up three pound dog turds would outweigh throwing hay bales.

Sorry I missed this. I use Alpine and Alpine crosses. I think they are the easiest to find with good size. If I bred my own I would do Alpines hybridized with any of the Swiss type breeds (Alpine, Toggenburg, Oberhasli, Saanen). Two of my best kids are Saanen and Togg crosses.

Plan about $30-$40 per goat for feed per month. I run pretty close to $200 for my 7 each month. You may not need or want 7, but my hope was to be able to handle a camp for 2-3 guys and one elk out on the same trip. 6 would probably do that.

Just for comparison, my 5 llamas will eat a bit less than 1/2 bale of grass hay a day, total. Grass hay bales usually run in the 70 to 80lb range so a ton will last about 50 days. Right now around here grass hay is selling for about $9/bale or $225/ton. That works out to about $25 to 27/llama/month. They have an extremely efficient feed conversion rate and will eat far less per lb of body weight than most other large animals. You can feed them alfalfa but they get too fat on it. In the spring, you have to work harder to get the fat off to get them in shape for packing.

Thanks both of you. Do Llamas get spooky with bear carcasses or lion? I’ve heard that they are good at keeping predators away like coyotes or wolves. Is this true or fake news.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't answer that. Mine have never been near a bear or a lion. I suspect, though, that they'd be skittish at first but calm right down. That's what they normally do with anything new. Being near a predator might be different, though. I'd bet, though, that they'd deal with it better than a horse. They're calmer by nature.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
According to the fella down the road from me. They aren't scared of much. What much entails I don't know. He did tell me he uses them for bear hunting. So I will just assume his anyways are callous to it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Having some young whippersnappers in camp always helps😀

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Having some young whippersnappers in camp always helps😀

How old are you?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
69 year old flatlander and I’ve been going out to Colorado for 20 plus years. We have some good hills in our neighborhood that I jog on and it seems like every year I think, “I should have done some more hills in my workout.”😀

I don’t think I’ll be able to go this year because the ticker has been acting up. I go to the hospital tomorrow morning for an EP Study and possible ablation, pacemaker or ICD. Heart trouble runs in the family 😕

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It takes two horses to carry a bull out. The only bone we leave in is the femurs. A horse can carry a three hundred pound man pretty well. But 200 lb of dead weight on a pack saddle is a pretty hard and fast rule. Unless you are packing on a Belgian, I suppose. Never saw anybody try that.

She's not a Belgian, but my Percheron cross has carried a few bulls out in one trip. 4 quarters, tender loins, back straps, and horns. Bone in. Doesn't seem to even be a little bit of an issue. I guess none of them were the World's biggest bulls. One was my busted up 6 point from this fall. There are actually quite a few drafts and draft crosses being used to ride and pack or both like mine. Crosses are kind of a fad right now, but outfitters have been using them for years.

I've packed more than a few loads on full percherons. Only real issue is I'm 5'9" and the tops of those loads is a lot higher than that.

I'd rather have two for it but one if big enough and in shape can and does do the job.
Is that Percheron cross the one you're going to plant me on for sheep? wink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Backed packed out a dozen or so elk with Dana designs pack

Last edited by ribka; 02/06/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ribka
Backed packed out a dozen or so elk with Dana designs pack

The Dana Designs Bomb Pack was my pack of choice for many years.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Mystery Ranch Cabinet worked great this year with no obvious pain. It's a keeper.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This was a pretty handy hauler last Tuesday... makes for a nice clean piece of meat with zero wastage... I’ve hauled enough of em out in little pieces to appreciate the easy ones when they happen.... good grocery trip.
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Judman
This was a pretty handy hauler last Tuesday... makes for a nice clean piece of meat with zero wastage... I’ve hauled enough of em out in little pieces to appreciate the easy ones when they happen.... good grocery trip.
[Linked Image]

Heck yes... I take the easy ones when I can...

Public landowner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've only been able to use a motorized vehicle 1 time. A few years ago, my partner and I got 2 cows up on a snow covered hillside. We were able to skid them to the bottom in a foot of snow, then drive my pickup about 1/4 mile through sagebrush to get them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Nobody using the Barney's pack? No not the purple Barney, the Barneys Sport Chalet in Anchorge backpack. I haven't used it for elk but have for sheep and caribou in Alaska. Should have had it for the moose instead of the Alice!!

https://barneyssports.com/product-category/default-category/packs-bags/external-frame/

[Linked Image]

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of our crew uses a frame

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, my old Cabela’s Alaskan Guide freighter is still the most comfortable hauler I own. I’ve tried to replace it a couple times with dual-use pack-haulers and end up disappointed in the comfort. Still looking...At least I own a frame that handles heavy loads comfortably. Sometimes they get it right the first time, albeit 25 years ago.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.