Print Thread
Hop To
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was looking for another option for a chrome lined pencil barrel and started looking at Sionics. They make chrome lined barrels that aren't over gassed and tend to shoot pretty well for what they are. Of course every barrel is HP, MP tested and air gauged but they are also X-ray'd which is something I never heard of. I read and watched a ton of reviews and decided to call them and ask a bunch of dumb questions. I had to leave a voicemail that afternoon but decided to order a barrel and BCG anyway. The next morning I got a callback and I can't remember his name but he was very polite and didn't mind answering questions, which is very rare these days.

I told him I went ahead and placed my order but I inquired about their Nitrided barrels vs chrome lined. He said they did one run of those and they preferred chrome, it's been proven for over 50 years and even though it cost more, if done right it hurts nothing. (My own opinion is nitride is cheap and that's the biggest reason it's being pushed right now.)

The next question was what size is your gas port? (I know .078 is pretty common on a mid length) They won't give out their port sizes but their ML 16" guns are sized in the mid .070's and are designed to run suppressed (super sonic) or unsuppressed. They shoot pretty soft and don't like overgassed guns any more than anyone else does. I was kinda thinking why won't you tell me when I can measure it myself but I put it aside and moved on.

I asked about their NP3 coated BCG's and made the mistake of saying nickel Boron. Theirs are nickel Teflon which is a tougher, slicker finish and it is more expensive to do. They start with a regular chrome lined BCG and coat over that. He said they had some internet reports of flaking a while back and said, yes the NP3 will not adhere to the chrome, the first time you shoot it, you will see some flaking from there. They use quality springs and extractors, HP and MP test every bolt. So I upgraded my order and figured I'd try one. I asked a few more questions and everything was answered to my satisfaction but let's move on.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/16/24-5-chrome-lined-w-low-profile-gas-block.html

I got the barrel in and started trying to measure the gas port, I had nothing exact. The closest thing that fit was a roll of solder I had and it measured .065 with a little wiggle room. .078 would not fit. The finish was good and the chrome lining looked like it was polished. I put the gun together (new parts from Black Friday and old parts I had laying around here) and decided I needed a better trigger so I put the upper on my Colt 6920 lower with an H buffer and G2S trigger. I figured I'd get to shoot after our Steel Challenge match yesterday. I stuck a Trijicon 1-4 Accupower scope on there and grabbed some of my reloads, 55 grain NBT and 77 grain SMK's. Ejection was 3:30-4:00 and about 4' away.
[Linked Image]

We had a South wind that was whipping pretty good but I sighted in at 100 yards and tried a 200 yard group with the 55's. The immediate thing I noticed is this is the smoothest gun I've got, I never lost the sight picture from recoil. Much better than the rest of my Mid lengths.
[Linked Image]
The orange dot is 2" and as I said it was windy but I wasn't too concerned and had to head home.

Today I went back out with a crazy North wind and if 2 10 round groups fired back to back offended your senses, this will make you sick. Remember this is a chrome lined pencil barrel that is made for a hard use gun, and a 1-4 power scope. I fired 5 10 round groups, 4 with 55 NBT's and the middle one with 77 gr NCC's. Started bottom left and went CCW shooting the middle last. I also made 2 scope adjustments on the 2 bottom targets. I've often said I'd be good with a solid 1.5" gun and I think this one will work. I'll of course try again on a better day and think it will do better but here it is.
[Linked Image]
I'll report back as things go and when it dries up a little I'll get out to shoot steel and stretch it out a bit. I'm pretty sure it'll work.

edit to add that while the accuracy is ok, the main thing I'm impressed with is how smooth this gun is to shoot and the light barrel did not walk, I shot with the wind and without the wind accounting for group shifts.

Last edited by TWR; 01/27/19.
ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kinda fhuqking tempting...if only because I'm a C/L Slut.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old chrome lined Colt HBAR barrels were something to behold. 10,000 rounds not uncommon. And they shot very well. Would like a 1/7 in same
Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a set of number drills? That's what they drill ports with.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
No I didn't have anything to get an accurate measurement and was in a hurry to stick it together.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I might buy one. If I do I will measure with my hole gauges.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not used any Sionics barrels yet but they sound GTG, but I've had nothing but good to say about BCM's similar chrome lined barrels & gassing..............they just flat out work right, 1st time every time.

And their BCG's are also as good as it its, but I really wish they'd do some upgraded, easier to clean, surface treatments on their bolts. I much prefer nitrided or DLC over phosphate or any of the Ni based coatings.

MM

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
BCM's equivalent barrel is $100 higher but a nice barrel none the less. This whole deal started out after I bought a $125 Faxon barrel on Black Friday so I stayed as cheap as I could but would pay more if needed. The Sionics barrel is worth every penny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I hear you about BCM being proud of their stuff, & they rarely have sales either.

Stick is high on AR Performance barrels, but they are nitrided...........I'll be using one of theirs in the not too distant future. I've good luck on other nitrided barrels as well.

I just bought a Toolcraft BCG that is DLC coated for $109, that appears to be just tits.............not fancy, no logo, but a tool steel extractor, C-158 bolt, &fit the upper well, headspaced well & DLC is just amazing stuff................I deal with it on engine components & it's just slicker than snot. Hard to find a BCG that good for that low a price.

Toolcraft builds & private brands BCG's for a fair number of other suppliers.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe they’re .076.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was looking at them (Toolcraft) the other day and read they only make the bolt carrier, not the bolt. But then again, who cares as long as they use good parts.

I've used a few brands but have settled on Colt BCG's for the most part, due to their QC. The Sionics looks good but is expensive and I have no idea how it will hold up. Yet...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got it ALL and fret none of it.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Blue, that's probably about right, he said mid .070's. I really wish I'd have taken the time but it's not like it would have mattered just knowing, what mattered was how it shoots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
I was looking at them (Toolcraft) the other day and read they only make the bolt carrier, not the bolt. But then again, who cares as long as they use good parts.

Didn't know that; do you know who makes their bolts? Can't be that many.

I use mostly RCA, BCM & Rise Armament...........all are good.

MM

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
No I never got that info but there's so much BS on the net it's hard to find the truth. I was reading a deal on Son's of Liberty and the owner stated he knew he would only use so and so parts, when he got to the BCG, he never mentioned a name and I noticed it had been edited. Reading further I found an unedited quote where he named names and evidently he changed brands.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
From what I can tell, TC does not make their bolts but they do make 9000 carriers a week according to their website.

Last edited by TWR; 01/28/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.