Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I actually owned one of these many years ago in 300 WM so I already pretty much know what to expect from the rifles. But 300 WM was just too much of a good thing in a rifle that light so I let it go. This was before I was into hand loading and able to download. I ran across a like new one at a price I might be willing to pay in 30-06 and might try again. But IIRC they had a recall on some of them and only in 30-06. I don't remember what the recall was all about. Any thoughts, and any way to determine if a particular rifle was involved in the recall or if it was repaired. I wouldn't want to get into an out of production rifle with issues.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you called Colt?

CLRs have the Colt name on them and Colt remains liable for any problems/damages incurred.

I've owned 10 CLRs, still have 6. They are as well finished as any regular production rifles and those that I've shot have been accurate.

I found this on-line:

COLT
MODEL CLR3064SRBL,
30-06 SPRINGFIELD CALIBER, LIGHT RIFLES

WARNING: In some rifles, the firing pin may fail to cock, and thus rest on the primer of a chambered cartridge making an accidental drop and discharge possible. Colt is requesting all gun dealers return this model immediately. Colt further states other calibers of the Light Rifle are not effected.

COLT: (800) 962-2658

Source:

American Firearms, November/December 2000; Volume 28, Number 11:12
American Handgunner, January/February 2001; page 114
Colt Website, September 1, 2000

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calling Colt is the only way to find out for sure.

The recall did not follow any sequential serial number range, so you had to call the serial number in and they would let you know if it was on the list.

If they had been recalled and 'fixed' they had I believe it was an 'O' or zero stamped on the underside of the bolt handle.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/29/19.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one n 7mm RM and had all kinds of difficulty with it. It would not fire half the time. Handloads, factory loads, it didn't matter. I sent it back 3 times and it never did come back fixed. I finally gave up and sold it.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The CLR benefits from a firing pin and trigger spring upgrade, there is a wolf one available. If you can't find one Melvin Forbes has them. The BACO one just didn't pan out for some reason either wrong steel or wrong heat treatment.

I wouldn't worry about a CLR 30-06, worst case you will have to deal with Colt. I would check to see if NULA will work on them anymore. He did in the past but it wasn't as a warranty issue usually part of an upgrade to a faux NULA.

I would as a matter of course replace the springs. The firing pin can work fine for several hundred rounds and then just quit. I think the CLR is a good value as is especially when they were on clearance and they are a great platform to upgrade too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a fan of the CLR. My favorite is a 270 that I've owned over a decade, hunted hard, and is completely original. Hell of a rifle.
Second one is a 300 Win Mag the went back to Mr Forbes for a complete upgrade 2 years ago. The new stock accounted for over half the cost and was worth every penny.
Both rifles were built with fairly tight tolerances and both remain very accurate. Both are easy to load for as well, they are just not finicky.
HOWEVER, in todays world, I am not sure I would buy another CLR. This doesn't come easy.
The Barretts, Bergara's, and certain Kimbers have joined the club, and are worthy of a close look. More or less, they can equal a CLR with Melvins upgrades, at a bargain price.
On an apple to apple basis, the Weatherby Vanguard and the Tikka are great rifles, out of the box, at prices lower or competitive to CLR pricing.
Just something to think about.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd given up on getting any responses. This is what I'm looking for. I never knew what the recall involved and it sounds like an easy fix. I was worried that it might be something that would make it unusable and didn't want to go there on something out of production so long. The rifle is located about an hours drive away, I was in there a week ago and it caught my eye. I may call tomorrow and get the SN and then call Colt and see what they say.

It looks like NIB and I think I can get it $600-$650 OTD. I realize that is in the ballpark with a new Tikka, but the Colt's are unique enough to be different. Thus the appeal.

Last edited by JMR40; 01/29/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'd given up on getting any responses. This is what I'm looking for. I never knew what the recall involved and it sounds like an easy fix. I was worried that it might be something that would make it unusable and didn't want to go there on something out of production so long. The rifle is located about an hours drive away, I was in there a week ago and it caught my eye. I may call tomorrow and get the SN and then call Colt and see what they say.

It looks like NIB and I think I can get it $600-$650 OTD. I realize that is in the ballpark with a new Tikka, but the Colt's are unique enough to be different. Thus the appeal.

The new CLRs in 30-06 that were shipped after the recall had a note in the box indicating that they weren't subject to the recall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fishdog52
I am a fan of the CLR. HOWEVER, in todays world, I am not sure I would buy another CLR. This doesn't come easy.
The Barretts, Bergara's, and certain Kimbers have joined the club, and are worthy of a close look. More or less, they can equal a CLR with Melvins upgrades, at a bargain price.
On an apple to apple basis, the Weatherby Vanguard and the Tikka are great rifles, out of the box, at prices lower or competitive to CLR pricing.
Just something to think about.

This also sums it up for me, I had four, was a big fan, They were good for their time. But the world has turned since...

The big selling point was the weight, even though they came in 1/2 pound heavier than the pre-release statements proclaimed. IIRC they actually weighed 6 pounds 10 ounces. Even so this was prior to the Kimber Montana, the Tikka T-3 (synthetic) and of course the Fieldcraft. Which met or beat the CLR's on the scale and were just as reliable and accurate (Kimber's early teething/customer service F'up's aside).

The CLR's are good rifles if I had one there is no reason (except the lack of factory support) to upgrade. Or if I found an irrestible bargain I would not hesitate to pick one up. Other than that I would look elsewhere.

YMMV,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/30/19.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the CLRs are a good value if you can buy one for under $600 and you intend to use it "as is".

The great majority of people who buy firearms use them in the configuration in which they were purchased. The don't change barrels, stocks, or triggers nearly as frequently as the folks who frequent this site and those like it.

IC B3

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
They were good for their time. But the world has turned since...

That is exactly why I've hesitated to buy it. Going to sleep on this a little longer, but the longer I wait, the more inclined I am to pass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
JM,
Sent you a pm.
They can be had cheaper.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wish they had made those rifles in a short action. They may have sold better in .243, 7mm08.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It was certainly in the plans... just look in one of the original owners manuals. Colt's situation just never allowed it. Too bad!

Melvin's CLR prototype was a little different than what was actually sold as a CLR. It actually had his carbon fiber/graphite stock rather than tupperware. The ~$600 price point did not allow it. The prototype did have Colt's M70 type trigger though.

I have loved my Melvin modified CLRs. They have never failed to impress, even w/ factory barrels. The only thing I would change , if I could, would be to thin and open the wrist of the grip a little bit, more like a 700KS. This applies to the Forbes and Fieldcraft as well.

If you are satisfied with a factory chambering, find a used one in the $450-500 range, send it to Melvin to "touch" with his stock, Timney trigger, metal follower, and firing pin spring and you will have a very nice rifle for a good value OR watch for one that has already been "improved" in the $800-1000 range. They do come up for sale on occasion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I ran the numbers on the ten that I've owned and found that the average purchase price was $505, with a range of from $450 for a rifles that had been well used and a bit abused to $565 for a NIB unit.

$565 was a little high, but it was half of a two rifle deal, $1,200 for the CLR in 30-06 and a minty Forbes 24B in 6.5x55. I figured that the Forbes was worth more than the $600 that the seller was asking for it, but would only sell it for that price if I bought the CLR too. I could probably sell the Forbes for close to $1,200, making the CLR price less than $100, but that would skew the numbers.

In the realm of "coulda, shouda, woulda", the CLRs were a good deal when CDNN was closing them out for $400 way back when.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

A local shop has 4 NIB (30/06, 270, 7RM, 300WM) he wants to sell as a set FTF if anyone is up for a road trip.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like to drive, let me know where then I'll decide if I like driving that much.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

KLM, replied

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
so changing a $600 30-06 to a nula stock and perhaps a new threaded for suppressor 280 barrel is a diminishing investment?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A CLR/NULA hybrid is unlikely to sell for as much as you pay for the CLR and to Mr. Forbes for him to build a rifle for you around that CLR action.

That said, if you want to do it, you should do it if it will make you happy. You only live so long and money spent is only money, you can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy the fruits of your labor while you're mentally and physically able to do so.

I know several guys who aren't a whole lot older than me, who put off doing things that they wanted to do and would have enjoyed, but are now physically unable to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.