Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I live and hunt in Texas. We have four common exotic deer axis, sika, fallow and red deer. The axis is most common, with large established free ranging herds in some areas, where in some areas, I've heard they outnumber whitetails. They also breed year round, so hard antlered bucks, are available year 'round. The sika is the second most common free ranging exotic followed by fallow and reds. Because they are non native there are no regulation in taking them, no season and no limit. They are also on High fence ranches in great numbers. This allows a deer hunter to hunt year 'round. The downside is that landowners know that they can charge per animal or hunt. I might add that I am an avid exotic deer hunter.

How many of you have hunted exotic deer, where, and what are your opinions? capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We had lots of Axis in Rock Springs, a few Sika and Fallow deer. They are fun to hunt, Axis really fine to eat. The lease I’m on now in Burnet has a Sika or two, an elk or two, lots of sorry ass Aoudads. I think they take away from your deer hunting. They compete with the deer. I think there would be better deer hunting if the exotics were gone. We have a pig or two also.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've hunted free range axis in Hawaii. A lot of fun and as spooky as any whitetail deer.

I've also hunted fallow and red deer in South America and New Zealand, where they were exotics. I think that about any deer that gets chased around gets difficult to hunt and can be a challange, exotics included.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
As with anything else the more they are hunted the wilier they get. I've hunted them free range where they show little fear of humans and high fenced area where they are wild as hell. A friend use to hunt the king ranch. The rules were that one must kill two does before killing a trophy buck(5.5yo 10+ points) or a cull(5.5yo 8pts or less. The does were skittish as heck and good 10+ point 3.5 and 4.5yo would just stand and look.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by hanco
We had lots of Axis in Rock Springs, a few Sika and Fallow deer. They are fun to hunt, Axis really fine to eat. The lease I’m on now in Burnet has a Sika or two, an elk or two, lots of sorry ass Aoudads. I think they take away from your deer hunting. They compete with the deer. I think there would be better deer hunting if the exotics were gone. We have a pig or two also.

There is no doubt the deer hunting for the native Whitetail deer would be much better if the exotics were gone. The exotics eat the same things the native deer eat plus they eat things the native deer will not eat. The exotics way out compete the native deer. When you combine this with the fact that most land owners way over protect the exotics it does not take long to see a dramatic decline in the native deer herd both in numbers and in antler quality. I have seen a number of low fenced ranches get quickly over populated with exotics and the whitetail population crash. At that point is usually to late to kill enough or catch enough exotics to allow the native deer to rebound. I agree with you on the Aoudad as well. They are like feral hogs. They are very smart, they breed like rats, and they are extremely destructive. At least the pigs are good to eat. Aoudad are edible but not that great. My advice is if you have Aoudad's on your ranch to shoot every one you can just like feral hogs. You will never get rid of them and can't hardly kill enough of them to keep them in check.

Don't get me wrong. I love to hunt exotics but they are really impacting the native game in allot of areas. I especially like the Axis as they are so good to eat and very fun to hunt!

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I kill every Aoudad I see.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would MUCH rather hunt-and eat- Axis than whitetail.

Fallow are kinda bland in comparison, and don't seem very bright.

Sika is on my "to do" list cause I hear they taste good...

So is red deer....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot a few axis in Texas and one in Hawaii!!! I will hunt axis in Tx .. as often as I can.. Never shot the other exotic deer..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've hunted exotics quite a bit. Axis win the taste category. I like the aoudad and nilgai hunts the best. I really enjoy just watching blackbuck. They put on a good show.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've hunted exotics quite a bit. Axis is my favorite also. But I've taken Axis, Fallow, Blackbuck, (does & ewes of all three) Scimitar Horned Oryx and a "mob" of the sheep ( Corsican, Mouflon, Black Hawaiian, Texas Dall, and one Aoudad) I hunted from Uvalde to Leakey, over to Del rio and up to Sanderson. Love it love it love it. if I was a Multi-millionaire, I'd buy my own ranch and hunt/shoot/cull, everyday! And I'd call coyotes at night! smile

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jim_Knight,

ImVho, AXIS venison is THE BOMB when compared to any other sort of venison that I've tried.

yours, tex

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
when stationed in Tx years ago the exotics were just then taking a hold a few escapees from private lands. I killed an axis while on leave at my buddies parents small ranch we threw it on the BBQ and drank Lone Star while it cooked...man that was good eating. Of course they insisted the javalina I shot would taste and smell like chit....they were correct, YUCK!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1bigdude,

YOUNG sows are "just OK" to eat but nothing special. - Otoh, the boars are just AWFUL.

yours, tex

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jmho, but I think the best two Texas exotics for table fare are axis and nilgai. Prefer cow nilgai.

Axis is just good all the time!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
An Axis hunt is a bucket list animal for me. I'll get there sooner or later. I wouldn't be opposed to a blackbuck and an aoudad either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've taken Axis, Fallow, Blackbuck, Corsican, Audad, Addax and one red stag hind. Of those, the Axis and the hind were tops in the dining department with the Addax close behind. Took a couple of guys out this morning to help thin the axis herd on a friends place. They both scored by 10 AM.
I lived in San Antonio when the axis first started spreading out. I now see them as far north as Big Spring and over towards Abernathy in the west-central part of the state.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bbear,

Indeed so. - I'd like to find a reasonably-priced/year around lease for Axis & feral pigs, alone. = As mostly a "meat hunter", you can keep your B&C Club WTs as the Axis venison is MUCH better tasting.

yours, tex

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wanted to clarify that I have killed more Axis/Fallow/Blackbuck "bucks" than the does and all were very good eating, just like the does. The "only" meat I tried, but gave up on was Corsican. Sheep are sheep, so no thank you! ha

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would MUCH rather hunt-and eat- Axis than whitetail.

Fallow are kinda bland in comparison, and don't seem very bright.

Sika is on my "to do" list cause I hear they taste good...

So is red deer....

This past two years, I have taken Fallow doe for meat. If they have been hunted hard, they are skittish as can be, actually turns into a challenging hunt. Buck Fallow, IMO, are a bit more flavorful, but not as tender as the does.
Red Deer hind and Nilgai are top table fare, for sure.

As to Sika- I shot a really big, older Sika buck this fall, just couldn't resist hunting for him because of that big rack- meat is tasty, but tough! Makes great jerky, however, and the burger is just fine.
Here's a pic of the big guy.....
[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bighorn,

NICE trophy. = CONGRADS.

yours, tex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.