Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for some recommendations for a do-all shotgun. Looking for something reasonably priced, most likely 12 ga, and would like a semi-auto.

Was looking at the CZ 712. Any opinions on them?

Thanks!

Last edited by snowboardguy; 01/31/19.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Save up and spend a little more or buy a used but not abused Beretta or Benelli.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Save up and spend a little more or buy a used but not abused Beretta or Benelli.

Any specific models I should look into? Both new and used.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Beretta 390, 391, or the new A400

Benelli M1 Super90, M2, or if you like 3-1/2 chamber which I don't the SBE

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/31/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What do you want to do with it? Bird Hunt, Waterfowl Hunt, Target Sports, all of the above?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There is a pretty nice SBE in the classifieds I saw on here. It was listed around $875 or so if I remember right. The only two downfalls to me was it is a SBE and 24" barrel. If it were an M1 Super90 I would have made an offer. In my opinion his price was a little high for what he had. Keep an eye out on gun broker.com they usually have some decent deals on there. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you want to do with it? Bird Hunt, Waterfowl Hunt, Target Sports, all of the above?

Wouldn't mind the option of 3.5" but 3" would be fine.

As of right now the only thing I use a shotgun for is turkey hunting but I'd like to do do some more bird hunting and target stuff. I research rifles quite a bit but know little about shotguns so that's why I'm looking for recommendations or opinions. Really just want something reliable and capable of handling multiple types of use. I kind of like the idea of a cantilevered mount for a turkey barrel and another barrel for other uses so if there is a brand/model with barrels that are more affordable that may be attractive to me.

Thanks for your help!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by snowboardguy

Wouldn't mind the option of 3.5" but 3" would be fine.

As of right now the only thing I use a shotgun for is turkey hunting but I'd like to do do some more bird hunting and target stuff. I research rifles quite a bit but know little about shotguns so that's why I'm looking for recommendations or opinions. Really just want something reliable and capable of handling multiple types of use. I kind of like the idea of a cantilevered mount for a turkey barrel and another barrel for other uses so if there is a brand/model with barrels that are more affordable that may be attractive to me.

Thanks for your help!

All of the above will perform for you. I shoot a few Benelli M1 Super90's. I own a few Beretta's as well. They are worth the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MCH is right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My strong recommendation would be a Beretta 390. It will take a little searching, but they are out there to be had. Won’t break the bank either. Second and third would be a Winchester SX3 and the Remington V3.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I pretty much second the above suggestions on makes and models. The addition I will make is regarding inexpensive barrels. For a decent shotgun with inexpensive barrels it is hard to beat the Remington 11/87. One can get a barrel for just about any purpose. It is chambered for both 3" and 2 3/4" shells so should be able to fit most purposes.

The only other semi-auto shotgun that can match or beat it is the Remington 1100. Buy a Magnum model and one will be able to reliably shoot 2 3/4" shells if using a barrel so chambered. The shorter chambered barrel will fit perfectly and give you versatility with just a little extra hassle. I used such a set up for my youngest stepson with great results for years.

A possible third option is a Mossberg 930. I have three of them and all have been pretty reliable so far. I don't have a significant number through any one of them but the most used one has gone trouble free longer than Mossberg's old 5500 series and far longer than their 9200. I bought an extra barrel for the slug gun but don't recall the price. I must have been pretty reasonable otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't ignore the Beretta 300 Outlander. They can be had used for reasonable prices. They handle and shoot well and are reliable.

Also take a peek at the Franchi Affinity.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Affinity is a great choice, everything comes out the front, you only have to remove the buttstock to change cast and drop shims.

It's also made along side the Benelli shotguns in Italy, even has Benelli stamped on the receiver.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Don't ignore the Beretta 300 Outlander. They can be had used for reasonable prices. They handle and shoot well and are reliable.

My wife bought me an A300 Outlander a year ago for Christmas as a duck gun to keep my 391 from laying in the mud. I have had no issues with it. They can be had in Synthetic for $600, I've seen them for around $500 on big sales with some mail in rebates thrown in. Wood is slightly higher.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

My wife bought me an A300 Outlander a year ago for Christmas as a duck gun to keep my 391 from laying in the mud. I have had no issues with it. They can be had in Synthetic for $600, I've seen them for around $500 on big sales with some mail in rebates thrown in. Wood is slightly higher.

[Linked Image]

These have my attention, would probably get one just like yours, perfectly utilitarian. My only issue is barrel selection. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like a cantilever barrel for turkeys and I don't think that's an option.......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d look for a Benelli! Save the money and get one and never look back. I bought my first this past pheasant season for a good price, only problem is it’s a little too nice for as hard as I like to hunt so I’m trying to sell or trade. I see an Ultralight in my near future. Maybe SBE3 if my buddy gets me into ducks. As for the one I have (Benelli Ethos) it functions flawlessly and pulls up like a dream. It’s light, I think a little over 6lbs. And recoils less than any heavier pump I’ve had experience with. They come with 5 chokes usually I believe as well and mine came with 2 extra sights.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For an all weather utility auto, I'm a big fan of my 390 Silver Mallard. Picked it up used for about $400. Ive not been kind to it amd its never bobbled with any load.

My 11-87 has been reliabke with the exception of the charging handle flying off the bolt, which is fun.

I like the Affinity as well, but have very limited experience with it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The most important thing in a shotgun is fit.
It doesn't matter how good the gun is if it doesn't fit you properly you are not going to shoot well with it.
Just because your buddy has a model xyz and can hit anything that fly's with it doesn't mean you will. You have to "try on" a number of guns to see what fits you.
Close your eyes and throw the gun up to your shoulder then open your eyes. Is your cheek welded to the stock and your eye looking straight down the rib (cast on or off and drop at comb)? Where is your nose in relationship to your thumb (LOP)?
Once you find one that feels right and fits you like a glove buy it. Doesn't matter what the brand name is.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the guns listed can be adjusted to improve fit. Even the 11-87 or 1100.

Best chance at less expensive barrels is the 1100, by far.

The Benelli would be my first choice, then an 1100, then the Berretta. But all three are solid choices.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
The most important thing in a shotgun is fit.
It doesn't matter how good the gun is if it doesn't fit you properly you are not going to shoot well with it.
Just because your buddy has a model xyz and can hit anything that fly's with it doesn't mean you will. You have to "try on" a number of guns to see what fits you.
Close your eyes and throw the gun up to your shoulder then open your eyes. Is your cheek welded to the stock and your eye looking straight down the rib (cast on or off and drop at comb)? Where is your nose in relationship to your thumb (LOP)?
Once you find one that feels right and fits you like a glove buy it. Doesn't matter what the brand name is.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Your eye is the rear sight of a shotgun. If your shotgun fits YOU, once you mount your gun, you DON'T look at your sight, but focus your eyes on your target. Move your gun as one with your upper body pivoting at your waist.

Personally, I prefer an O/U or a pump.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 35, 41rem, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.