Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for some recommendations for a do-all shotgun. Looking for something reasonably priced, most likely 12 ga, and would like a semi-auto.

Was looking at the CZ 712. Any opinions on them?

Thanks!

Last edited by snowboardguy; 01/31/19.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Save up and spend a little more or buy a used but not abused Beretta or Benelli.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Save up and spend a little more or buy a used but not abused Beretta or Benelli.

Any specific models I should look into? Both new and used.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Beretta 390, 391, or the new A400

Benelli M1 Super90, M2, or if you like 3-1/2 chamber which I don't the SBE

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/31/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What do you want to do with it? Bird Hunt, Waterfowl Hunt, Target Sports, all of the above?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There is a pretty nice SBE in the classifieds I saw on here. It was listed around $875 or so if I remember right. The only two downfalls to me was it is a SBE and 24" barrel. If it were an M1 Super90 I would have made an offer. In my opinion his price was a little high for what he had. Keep an eye out on gun broker.com they usually have some decent deals on there. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you want to do with it? Bird Hunt, Waterfowl Hunt, Target Sports, all of the above?

Wouldn't mind the option of 3.5" but 3" would be fine.

As of right now the only thing I use a shotgun for is turkey hunting but I'd like to do do some more bird hunting and target stuff. I research rifles quite a bit but know little about shotguns so that's why I'm looking for recommendations or opinions. Really just want something reliable and capable of handling multiple types of use. I kind of like the idea of a cantilevered mount for a turkey barrel and another barrel for other uses so if there is a brand/model with barrels that are more affordable that may be attractive to me.

Thanks for your help!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by snowboardguy

Wouldn't mind the option of 3.5" but 3" would be fine.

As of right now the only thing I use a shotgun for is turkey hunting but I'd like to do do some more bird hunting and target stuff. I research rifles quite a bit but know little about shotguns so that's why I'm looking for recommendations or opinions. Really just want something reliable and capable of handling multiple types of use. I kind of like the idea of a cantilevered mount for a turkey barrel and another barrel for other uses so if there is a brand/model with barrels that are more affordable that may be attractive to me.

Thanks for your help!

All of the above will perform for you. I shoot a few Benelli M1 Super90's. I own a few Beretta's as well. They are worth the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MCH is right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My strong recommendation would be a Beretta 390. It will take a little searching, but they are out there to be had. Won’t break the bank either. Second and third would be a Winchester SX3 and the Remington V3.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I pretty much second the above suggestions on makes and models. The addition I will make is regarding inexpensive barrels. For a decent shotgun with inexpensive barrels it is hard to beat the Remington 11/87. One can get a barrel for just about any purpose. It is chambered for both 3" and 2 3/4" shells so should be able to fit most purposes.

The only other semi-auto shotgun that can match or beat it is the Remington 1100. Buy a Magnum model and one will be able to reliably shoot 2 3/4" shells if using a barrel so chambered. The shorter chambered barrel will fit perfectly and give you versatility with just a little extra hassle. I used such a set up for my youngest stepson with great results for years.

A possible third option is a Mossberg 930. I have three of them and all have been pretty reliable so far. I don't have a significant number through any one of them but the most used one has gone trouble free longer than Mossberg's old 5500 series and far longer than their 9200. I bought an extra barrel for the slug gun but don't recall the price. I must have been pretty reasonable otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't ignore the Beretta 300 Outlander. They can be had used for reasonable prices. They handle and shoot well and are reliable.

Also take a peek at the Franchi Affinity.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Affinity is a great choice, everything comes out the front, you only have to remove the buttstock to change cast and drop shims.

It's also made along side the Benelli shotguns in Italy, even has Benelli stamped on the receiver.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Don't ignore the Beretta 300 Outlander. They can be had used for reasonable prices. They handle and shoot well and are reliable.

My wife bought me an A300 Outlander a year ago for Christmas as a duck gun to keep my 391 from laying in the mud. I have had no issues with it. They can be had in Synthetic for $600, I've seen them for around $500 on big sales with some mail in rebates thrown in. Wood is slightly higher.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy

My wife bought me an A300 Outlander a year ago for Christmas as a duck gun to keep my 391 from laying in the mud. I have had no issues with it. They can be had in Synthetic for $600, I've seen them for around $500 on big sales with some mail in rebates thrown in. Wood is slightly higher.

[Linked Image]

These have my attention, would probably get one just like yours, perfectly utilitarian. My only issue is barrel selection. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like a cantilever barrel for turkeys and I don't think that's an option.......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d look for a Benelli! Save the money and get one and never look back. I bought my first this past pheasant season for a good price, only problem is it’s a little too nice for as hard as I like to hunt so I’m trying to sell or trade. I see an Ultralight in my near future. Maybe SBE3 if my buddy gets me into ducks. As for the one I have (Benelli Ethos) it functions flawlessly and pulls up like a dream. It’s light, I think a little over 6lbs. And recoils less than any heavier pump I’ve had experience with. They come with 5 chokes usually I believe as well and mine came with 2 extra sights.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For an all weather utility auto, I'm a big fan of my 390 Silver Mallard. Picked it up used for about $400. Ive not been kind to it amd its never bobbled with any load.

My 11-87 has been reliabke with the exception of the charging handle flying off the bolt, which is fun.

I like the Affinity as well, but have very limited experience with it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The most important thing in a shotgun is fit.
It doesn't matter how good the gun is if it doesn't fit you properly you are not going to shoot well with it.
Just because your buddy has a model xyz and can hit anything that fly's with it doesn't mean you will. You have to "try on" a number of guns to see what fits you.
Close your eyes and throw the gun up to your shoulder then open your eyes. Is your cheek welded to the stock and your eye looking straight down the rib (cast on or off and drop at comb)? Where is your nose in relationship to your thumb (LOP)?
Once you find one that feels right and fits you like a glove buy it. Doesn't matter what the brand name is.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the guns listed can be adjusted to improve fit. Even the 11-87 or 1100.

Best chance at less expensive barrels is the 1100, by far.

The Benelli would be my first choice, then an 1100, then the Berretta. But all three are solid choices.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
It doesn't matter how good the gun is if it doesn't fit you properly you are not going to shoot well with it.
Just because your buddy has a model xyz and can hit anything that fly's with it doesn't mean you will. You have to "try on" a number of guns to see what fits you.
Close your eyes and throw the gun up to your shoulder then open your eyes. Is your cheek welded to the stock and your eye looking straight down the rib (cast on or off and drop at comb)? Where is your nose in relationship to your thumb (LOP)?
Once you find one that feels right and fits you like a glove buy it. Doesn't matter what the brand name is.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Your eye is the rear sight of a shotgun. If your shotgun fits YOU, once you mount your gun, you DON'T look at your sight, but focus your eyes on your target. Move your gun as one with your upper body pivoting at your waist.

Personally, I prefer an O/U or a pump.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by buffybr

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Your eye is the rear sight of a shotgun. If your shotgun fits YOU, once you mount your gun, you DON'T look at your sight, but focus your eyes on your target. Move your gun as one with your upper body pivoting at your waist.

This is not the first step in the equation. Let's be realistic. the OP is looking for a recommendation for a quality shotgun that isn't going to break his bank. Everyone has posted good options.

Fitting a shotgun correctly doesn't happen overnight. Without a solid repeatable mount you are wasting your time and money on getting fitted. Another note to this is no gun is going to fit anybody perfectly. The gun industry came up with generic measurements that are supposed to be key word (SUPPOSED) to fit the average male. There is no average male!

Further more your eye is the only sight! It isn't the rear sight it is the sight. If you are looking at anything other than your intended target you are doing it WRONG!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the best shotgunners ive seen can hit with anything. They simply have great hand/eye coordination and shoot a LOT. Pretty sure a buddy would outshoot me with a twisted 2x6 and a crooked barrel. Lol. He can pick up any shotgun and quickly get hits that match what he does with his own gun.

I however will take all the help I can get!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm old and old school so I prefer my Remington Model 11 with 2 barrels. I once bought a Beretta 390 from Jaqua's and it was like shouldering a 2 X 6. I sent it to another zip code.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Some of the best shotgunners ive seen can hit with anything. They simply have great hand/eye coordination and shoot a LOT. Pretty sure a buddy would outshoot me with a twisted 2x6 and a crooked barrel. Lol. He can pick up any shotgun and quickly get hits that match what he does with his own gun.

I saw a demonstration of just this at a sporting clays course several years ago. A young guy showed up with a new 391 and was having trouble hitting with it. He started complaining that it was off. One of the old regulars asked to try it. The station was a hard left and right, report pair. The older guy called for a bird and shot from the hip, smoked both clays. When he handed the gun back to the young guy he said, "don't think it's the gun". Probably could of been handled better, but he got his point across. I found out later that the guy was a regular fixture at the state shoots every year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by buffybr

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

This is not the first step in the equation. Let's be realistic. the OP is looking for a recommendation for a quality shotgun that isn't going to break his bank. Everyone has posted good options.

Fitting a shotgun correctly doesn't happen overnight. Without a solid repeatable mount you are wasting your time and money on getting fitted. Another note to this is no gun is going to fit anybody perfectly. The gun industry came up with generic measurements that are supposed to be key word (SUPPOSED) to fit the average male. There is no average male!

Further more your eye is the only sight! It isn't the rear sight it is the sight. If you are looking at anything other than your intended target you are doing it WRONG!

Winner!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think you should look very closely at the Beretta A300 Outlander. And I wouldn't worry about a "turkey" barrel myself.

If you really need 3.5" shells and a 24" turkey barrel, then the A350 would be your pick.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I think you should look very closely at the Beretta A300 Outlander. And I wouldn't worry about a "turkey" barrel myself.

If you really need 3.5" shells and a 24" turkey barrel, then the A350 would be your pick.

He lives in NY, he may only be able to hunt deer with shotgun. I believe there are counties in NY that don't allow rifle hunting. Like it is in CT on state land.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For a gas gun I vote Browning Gold or Silver.

For the money another one that is hard to beat is the Winchester SX4. I am a fan of the Invector Plus choke system these and the Browning's use.

If you don't mind a little more recoil then a Benelli or Franchi would be good guns.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/01/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

He lives in NY, he may only be able to hunt deer with shotgun. I believe there are counties in NY that don't allow rifle hunting. Like it is in CT on state land.

I rifle hunt for deer, this would be a scatter gun for turkeys, upland birds, clays, etc.

One thing I would like to have is a bird barrel with a cantilever mount so I could use an optic for turkeys and a standard bird barrel for all other uses.

Unfortunately the only gun i can find such a barrel for is the Winchester SX4 and I'm not that interested in that gun.

As for 3.5" , no, I don't feel the need for it but wouldn't mind having the option if The right gun happened to be chambered in 3.5.

The A300 is something I can actually find locally so I would at least be able to handle one and see how I feel about it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Could find one that is drilled and tapped for a base then you could use 1 barrel for all shooting, just remove the optic.

Also the possibility of having a gun drilled and tapped.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/02/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Could find one that is drilled and tapped for a base then you could use 1 barrel for all shooting, just remove the optic.

Also the possibility of having a gun drilled and tapped.

I'd prefer the optic go with the barrel but doesn't seem like I'm going to find that option.

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Buy what fits for wingshooting. Use just the bead for turkeys. A 12ga can throw a heavy enough load you don't have to choke it so tight as to need a scope.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winchester SX4 has a very reliable gas system and comes in 3.5 if that's what you like or may need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of the good advice here.

I highly suggest going to a show or store and shouldering a few. The SBE3s or A400s can be the sexiest and most highly regarded shotties in the world, but if they don't feel right, it's gonna throw off your game. Shoulder a few and feel the swing as you run the bead along the horizontal corner (wall meets ceiling) of the room. After you do it a few times, one will talk to you. Research will tell you if its a dog.

I have two Remington Versa Maxes. One is an HD/Turkey gun and the other is for birds on the wing. Versas are a little thick and a bit hefty, but they are the softest-shooting shotguns I've ever fired and easy to fit without a gunsmith. They have their typical Remington Q/A warts, though, and I would not buy a used one.

Good luck with whatever you get!

Last edited by RayF; 02/13/19.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
For turkeys, avoid inertia guns unless you want to pay extra to upgrade parts for reliability. Search "Benelli click" for an explanation. The Beretta A300 leads the pack for affordable gas guns, but the extra barrel ain't real cheap. You can get a Mossberg pump for what a Beretta barrel costs.

I suggest the A300 for wingshooting and a Mossberg 505AF 20ga for turkeys. Mount your sight on the barrel. There are various options. Aimtech Rib Rider is one. Load Federal TSS and a SumToy choke on the 20 for gobblers. The light 20 will be much more enjoyable in the turkey woods.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
For turkeys, avoid inertia guns unless you want to pay extra to upgrade parts for reliability. Search "Benelli click" for an explanation. The Beretta A300 leads the pack for affordable gas guns, but the extra barrel ain't real cheap. You can get a Mossberg pump for what a Beretta barrel costs.

I suggest the A300 for wingshooting and a Mossberg 505AF 20ga for turkeys. Mount your sight on the barrel. There are various options. Aimtech Rib Rider is one. Load Federal TSS and a SumToy choke on the 20 for gobblers. The light 20 will be much more enjoyable in the turkey woods.

Has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. How many Benelli's have you shot over 100K rounds through? M1 on top has well over 100K bottom has well over 30K

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The only thing on them after market is the charging handle.

I wonder how all those dove outfits in Mexico and Argentina keep their fleets of Benelli's running strong.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I saw a demonstration of just this at a sporting clays course several years ago. A young guy showed up with a new 391 and was having trouble hitting with it. He started complaining that it was off. One of the old regulars asked to try it. The station was a hard left and right, report pair. The older guy called for a bird and shot from the hip, smoked both clays. When he handed the gun back to the young guy he said, "don't think it's the gun". Probably could of been handled better, but he got his point across. I found out later that the guy was a regular fixture at the state shoots every year.

It could be off when he mounts it to his face and locks in. Shooting from the hip is a different skill set and proves little in that situation.

Addition: However, one has to admit it most certainly proves the necessity to look at the target with more than a casual glance.

An adjustable comb is rarely a waste of money.

MCH told the secret. Repeatable correct mount, and without it you can have a perfect fit and suck. Then having the faith to look hard at the target and not the bead. Which may be the most difficult part of getting past mediocre. Also the great ones know were to initially put the gun and how fast to put it there, which allows them to look correctly.

Last edited by battue; 02/25/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fifty years of experience has landed me firmly in the Benelli camp if talking semi-auto’s. M1’s, M2’s for the black synthetics, or for some wood which I like, the Montefeltro or Ultralight. But then, I’m not a dedicated turkey hunter though I’ve taken many with a whole range of guns.

Their actions work on the inertia system rather than gas, resulting in a much simpler, lighter, and easier to clean gun though for the same reason recoil is a touch heavier. High quality.

One thing I wouldn’t suggest is a 3.5” gun. It makes for a heavier gun and depending on make, recoil can be brutal; with great 3” ammo I can’t see the application where it’s worth it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Fifty years of experience has landed me firmly in the Benelli camp if talking semi-auto’s. M1’s, M2’s for the black synthetics, or for some wood which I like, the Montefeltro or Ultralight. But then, I’m not a dedicated turkey hunter though I’ve taken many with a whole range of guns.

Their actions work on the inertia system rather than gas, resulting in a much simpler, lighter, and easier to clean gun though for the same reason recoil is a touch heavier. High quality.

One thing I wouldn’t suggest is a 3.5” gun. It makes for a heavier gun and depending on make, recoil can be brutal; with great 3” ammo I can’t see the application where it’s worth it.

I don't have 50 years! smile

But I am with you 100%. If you can't kill it with 3" you need more practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don't have 50 years! smile

But I am with you 100%. If you can't kill it with 3" you need more practice.

There is a reason they use Benellis in South America for doves. They literally shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds through those shotguns and they keep on going.

I have the SBE II and I use the 3 1/2 for turkeys and geese. A Super 90 would last you a lifetime without a hitch and I would endorse both George and MCR’s recommendation with no doubt you wouldn’t be disappointed...

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. How many Benelli's have you shot over 100K rounds through? M1 on top has well over 100K bottom has well over 30K

[Linked Image]

You failed to comprehend the part about "For turkeys". There's a point here about which you're ignorant. No, I'm not going to tell you.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

[Linked Image]

You failed to comprehend the part about "For turkeys". There's a point here about which you're ignorant. No, I'm not going to tell you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With the exception of someone who has deficiency of normal visual skills, the necessity of some type of optics on a shotgun for Turkeys is a point about which "you're ignorant". Good shooters knock things out of the air, yet a fat turkey on the ground needs an optic?

In addition to which no semi auto shotgun outruns a Benelli. Does a Benelli know it is being shot at a Turkey instead of reliably functioning on a clay? And no, I'm not going to tell you. Their downside is they kick more than a gas gun of equivalent weight. Especially noticeable when you get into the big 3 and 3.5's. However, all semi's will eventually click, along with SxS, O/U's, S.S, etc. None are immune. Something else about which "you're ignorant".

If reliability is the goal then get a good pump shotgun. But eventually it will click. But unlike the Semi's, it will most likely be caused by the primer and not the shotguns mechanicals hiccuping.

Addition: Deficient primers or primers seated too deep are often the cause of "click".

Last edited by battue; 02/26/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
With the exception of someone who has deficiency of normal visual skills, the necessity of some type of optics on a shotgun for Turkeys is a point about which "you're ignorant". Good shooters knock things out of the air, yet a fat turkey on the ground needs an optic?

This has always baffled me too...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Please, don’t start using them on Grouse. The population may never be able to recover. You guys are already good enough to be knocking their heads off with open sight pistols. 👍

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah right because shotguns know what they are killing, right gotcha. Show I guess Benelli's are not Turkey friendly. Honestly you can't make this crap up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never used a sight or a scope to kill a turkey. I shoot them just as I shoot Geese in the face. Except the geese are flying and the turkey is strutting around. Battue you got A400 you can sell me so I can kill turkeys? Evidently my Benelli's are no good. I am going to have to sell them. Man I sure will miss them, we have had a great run together. And yes Benelli's kick a little.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heck you kill them with old style recurves and sticks. For sure you don't need a red dot sight on a shotgun. Hell, I'll give you the A400....As soon as I get my barrels back from Giacomo. grin Right now I can't get the O/U to even click....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Heck you kill them with old style recurves and sticks. For sure you don't need a red dot sight on a shotgun. Hell, I'll give you the A400....As soon as I get my barrels back from Giacomo. grin Right now I can't get the O/U to even click....

What Barrels are you getting for the Perazzi???? If you were really my friend you would keep the A400 and give me that Perazzi! smile smile smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have to wonder about the A400, I mean Anthony went to an Over and Under! What the hell????

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The reason being he was training to make the Olympic Bunker trap team. He went so far as to put in his own complete Olympic bunker trap on the M&M grounds. Pretty cool in that we all can shot it when down there. He came real close to making the team, but something happened and he missed one of the qualifiers or he would have made it. Something along those lines anyway.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ain’t no “bennelli click” going on in the sbe3

And I tried to make it do it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

What Barrels are you getting for the Perazzi???? If you were really my friend you would keep the A400 and give me that Perazzi! smile smile smile

Mid rib separated on two different ones, so they are getting re-attached. The barrels kind of bounce around a little right now. Anyway, Perazzi has a problem with them and they are unwilling to even consider doing anything. They say you shot them too hot. Well, you can shoot a Browning and Beretta till the wood gets hot and their mid-rib stays attached. I'll be going back to my Kraut heritage. I'm done with the Diego's.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The reason being he was training to make the Olympic Bunker trap team. He went so far as to put in his own complete Olympic bunker trap on the M&M grounds. Pretty cool in that we all can shot it when down there. He came real close to making the team, but something happened and he missed one of the qualifiers or he would have made it. Something along those lines anyway.

Yes I knew that Battue but didn't know that's why he switched over. Makes sense. I have shot a few rounds on his Bunker Trap. I think you and I shot a round on it together a few years back. Maybe the US Open????? That was when I punched into AA. Thank god I haven't been shooting, I can at least hang in A.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Mid rib separated on two different ones, so they are getting re-attached. The barrels kind of bounce around a little right now. Anyway, Perazzi has a problem with them and they are unwilling to even consider doing anything. They say you shot them too hot. Well, you can shoot a Browning and Beretta till the wood gets hot and their mid-rib stays attached. I'll be going back to my Kraut heritage. I'm done with the Diego's.

Did I see Duffy is shooting a K-Gun?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have the Open there again this year....I'm signed up....Let me know if you can make it....If you can, I will see if Lois can make some squad adjustments....

Yes, he is shooting the LW Parcours, and doing well with it. The "boy" is in the Veteran class these days. My how time goes on by.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve had a Berretta A400 12 too. Very good looking gun; good shooting gun. But, again, for me and the miles we walk for pheasants, it’s just too heavy when compared with the simpler, lighter Benelli guns. So why carry the extra weight?

As they say, your “mileage” may vary.

Oh, an additional point not insignificant to me. I’m a lefty. The Beretta A400’s safety is reversible but complicated and requires a Bereatta-certified ‘Smith to do it. Benelli’s safeties are stupid-simple to reverse (Benelli must have my profile).

Why don’t I buy a true lefty even if I can reverse the safety? Resale. Love those Ben’s.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They have the Open there again this year....I'm signed up....Let me know if you can make it....If you can, I will see if Lois can make some squad adjustments....

Yes, he is shooting the LW Parcours, and doing well with it. The "boy" is in the Veteran class these days. My how time goes on by.

I have to check the dates but I am pretty sure Ill be in Slovakia then.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
May I will still be gone. Who are you squared with?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
May I will still be gone. Who are you squared with?

Don’t know any of them. Just signed up when I saw the Fitasc was almost filled. There will be more than a few people there that I know and can hang with.

Then again, maybe I do. I haven’t looked at the actual squad. Last time down there I shot behind Cherry. Which was a definite positive. Really nice guy, but intense when he is shooting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dan going?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would be surprised if he didn't go, but haven't talked with him in a bit. He has been shooting really well and recently won the American Fitasc Championship. Wouldn't surprise me if he made the top 10-15 at the Open.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He is a hell of a shooter and funny guy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Used to race the high speed bikes were they are running around on their knees at crazy speeds. He got pretty tore up doing so.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Used to race the high speed bikes were they are running around on their knees at crazy speeds. He got pretty tore up doing so.

Yeah I remember him telling me about that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Just remember there has rarely a thing been made that wasn’t made to sell. All those fishing lures, all variations on a theme mostly were meant to catch fishermen. Not to say this or that gizmo won’t work as advertised (though many don’t) occasionally.

Most turkeys’ heads are pretty immobile until that momentary gobble when they reach up and stretch it out. Otherwise, it floats fairly stable up over the back while strutting. I’ve taken many at that moment with from 12’s to 20’s, with from XF chokes and red dotes to IM 20 ga barrels with a just bead. 2 3/4” to 3” shells but shun the “Lil Gretal” 3 1/2 ers.

No tactical turkey guns, no gun tape, earth tone clothes for myself, a cap; hands and face covered.

Just remember, it’s an industry — you don’t have to have all that stuff.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not 3.5", but this may be your huckleberry.

If I didn't have a stable of fine operating benellis at my disposal already, I'd be all over this.

https://www.shopdunns.com/products/9071/benelli_montefeltro_hunter_s_package/

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just saw this. Great pic....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. She gave that to me Christmas Day. Then we drove 10 hours to her grandparents in Texas. After a few hours sleep I threw some decoys out behind her grandpas shop, and ended with a limit of teal. First shots fired from the gun. I won’t admit to how many of the buzzbombs I shot at to get that limit though...

Just saw this. Great pic....

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IMHO after shooting many models.... A5, Remington on Browning pat. (Old timers know) Model 12 Winchester, 870 Remington, mod1100 (one of the best) Beretta 400, Benelli SBE, Benelli SBEII. The best all around shotgun is the Benelli SBEII. It’s light , rugged, simple, fast, swings and points great,
Easy to clean. Save your money, find one on line and buy it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Beretta is like a sore pecker.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Can't beat it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have no experience with high-volume competitive shooting, so I can't really say what make or model works best over time, but I can say what works best for me.

I started out with a Rem 1100 12ga. It swung like a 50-lb bag of potatoes for me - I couldn't keep up with any clay target unless it was nearly straight outgoing or straight incoming.

I lucked into a 20ga Miroku O/U and started hitting targets for the first time in my life, assisted by a couple of lessons from a good coach. I could keep up with even the fastest crossers with that gun, and as fate would have it, when I shouldered it properly I had the rib directly lined up with my eye.

For a short time, I tried a Beretta 390 12ga. It was a very good shotgun with recommendations from a lot of competitive shooters, but it wasn't as lively as the O/U and never seemed to shoot as soft as I would like.

Then I traded into a 12ga Benelli M2. SOFT shooting, regardless of what people say about inertia guns - comparable to the 20ga O/U in my hands, and fits very well because of the provided shims that allow you to tweak it to where it hits where you're looking. If I need a 12, this is the one that goes with me. If a fast-moving 20 is needed, the Miroku just shines.

With my limited experience, I'd say don't buy any shotgun unless it has shims. There is simply no substitute for fit, and the shims make it easy and inexpensive to tailor a shotgun to shoot where you look.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oh, and one tip when you're looking at shotguns, especially if you're new to the game - take along a plastic straw and a couple of pieces of blue plumber's tape.

After telling the owner what you're planning to do and getting his OK, put the straw on the top of the receiver and out onto the top of the rib, then tape it down. (This is why you use blue plumber's tape - it won't leave a sticky mess on the metal of a beautiful shotgun!) Make sure the straw is straight and directly on top of the rib.

Get in a proper stance and quickly bring the shotgun to your shoulder - if you are looking directly through the straw to the front sight, you have a gun that fits. If you have to push your cheek down on the comb, raise it up at all or crank your head to one side or the other, it is going to take work to make it fit, and if it doesn't have shims, that work can be expensive.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by czech1022
I have no experience with high-volume competitive shooting, so I can't really say what make or model works best over time, but I can say what works best for me.

I started out with a Rem 1100 12ga. It swung like a 50-lb bag of potatoes for me - I couldn't keep up with any clay target unless it was nearly straight outgoing or straight incoming.

I lucked into a 20ga Miroku O/U and started hitting targets for the first time in my life, assisted by a couple of lessons from a good coach. I could keep up with even the fastest crossers with that gun, and as fate would have it, when I shouldered it properly I had the rib directly lined up with my eye.

For a short time, I tried a Beretta 390 12ga. It was a very good shotgun with recommendations from a lot of competitive shooters, but it wasn't as lively as the O/U and never seemed to shoot as soft as I would like.

Then I traded into a 12ga Benelli M2. SOFT shooting, regardless of what people say about inertia guns - comparable to the 20ga O/U in my hands, and fits very well because of the provided shims that allow you to tweak it to where it hits where you're looking. If I need a 12, this is the one that goes with me. If a fast-moving 20 is needed, the Miroku just shines.

With my limited experience, I'd say don't buy any shotgun unless it has shims. There is simply no substitute for fit, and the shims make it easy and inexpensive to tailor a shotgun to shoot where you look.

Spot on on your "Shims: recommendation. Beretta was the first manufacturer to my knowledge to offer shims.....the other manufacturers were so slow to follow....especially Remington.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.