Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cascade

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning:

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

Hey Guy,
I have sent three 30 caliber deer rifles to Jesse Occumpaugh for a rebore: A 30-30 model 94 to 375 winchester. This thing surprised me. Close in, it will break out both shoulders of a brown bear and an instant drop with the 255 grain barnes original. Out to 175 yds, my son had an instant drop on a fat bull caribou.

A savage 99 308 rebored to 358. Near instant drops on two of my biggest bull moose using the 275 grain woodliegh.

A browining 1895 30-06 rebored to 41 O&M (off the 9.3 case), I've yet to use this 400 whelen-level scout rifle.

If ever you're feeling like a change, that won't nip at the heels of your 375 mag, try you ah $225 rebore to 338-06. From a long shot, to an up close shot, thing's ah mean/quick killer of the big animals. 250 grain paritition or a-frame will leave blood pouring out of both ends like a fountain:

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

I really like these affordable options. Many of us work ourselves half to death for slightly decent pay. Then, we're fed advertisements our whole lives in magazines and the tv.

With Jesse, he gives you a fair deal for the tightest of budgets. The deal being that you might have to clean the fouling a bit more than ah city slicker with a fancy match grade barrel at the shooting range. But in the bush, on bear and moose, you won't notice.

Funny thing about lotta these guys with high-end rifles. I never see these things posted on these forums with nary a scartch or ah rust spot. Must be magic, like in the gun magazines.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by Cascade

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning:

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

Hey Guy,
I have sent three 30 caliber deer rifles to Jesse Occumpaugh for a rebore: A 30-30 model 94 to 375 winchester. This thing surprised me. Close in, it will break out both shoulders of a brown bear and an instant drop with the 255 grain barnes original. Out to 175 yds, my son had an instant drop on a fat bull caribou.

A savage 99 308 rebored to 358. Near instant drops on two of my biggest bull moose using the 275 grain woodliegh.

A browining 1895 30-06 rebored to 41 O&M (off the 9.3 case), I've yet to use this 400 whelen-level scout rifle.

If ever you're feeling like a change, that won't nip at the heels of your 375 mag, try you ah $225 rebore to 338-06. From a long shot, to an up close shot, thing's ah mean/quick killer of the big animals. 250 grain paritition or a-frame will leave blood pouring out of both ends like a fountain:

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

I really like these affordable options. Many of us work ourselves half to death for slightly decent pay. Then, we're fed advertisements our whole lives in magazines and the tv.

With Jesse, he gives you a fair deal for the tightest of budgets. The deal being that you might have to clean the fouling a bit more than ah city slicker with a fancy match grade barrel at the shooting range. But in the bush, on bear and moose, you won't notice.

Funny thing about lotta these guys with high-end rifles. I never see these things posted on these forums with nary a scartch or ah rust spot. Must be magic, like in the gun magazines.

I agree. I have quite a few rifles and aside from the rifle my dad gave me (model 7 in 308) the 338-06 is still my favorite all round do all for up here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have one Jesse rebored to 33806... I"ve not an issue with it yet...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

286 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.