H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Told you I did some digging

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/1/25/the-28-nosler/

[Linked Image]

Seems even MD couldn’t get one to average under an inch @ 100. Guess he’s inexperienced.
Also read couple of reviews on the 7-08 and not one of them averaged under an inch.

I guess I was under the mistaken impression that we were discussing the rifle of the OP. Which did shot MOA at 100. More than once.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by country_20boy
I highly doubt its a true "1/2 moa" rifle, even at 100. Those, as we all know, are hard to come by.

I agree. Never said it was a 1/2" rifle and it's suspect at best right now....

The title of your thread says "why would a rifle shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards and 2 moa at 200 yards". I didnt say it was a "1/2" rifle" either. There is a difference. If you want help, you need to know and understand the difference. I also think its a parallax issue, as i have lost all faith in leupold rifle scopes. Ive seen so many go tits up, it isn't even funny. Vortex is in the same boat. When evaluating the accuracy potential of a rifle, one of the general rules (for myself) is to start with a "proven" rifle scope and mounting system. If you buy a rifle that already has bases and rings attached, pull them. I make damn sure everything is de-greased and ill go through the extra bit and chase/clean up the tapped holes in the receiver, check screws for proper length (to be sure they arent going to bottom out prematurely), use blue loctite and make sure everything is tight and perfectly lined up. As ive said before, out of alignment rings puts uneven pressure on the scope tube, which may allow the scope to move during recoil. What some dont realize is, if the scope twists or moves, just a minuscule amount, it will have a profound affect on accuracy. If you dont believe me, do a little test with said rifle: Get it all zeroed, then pull the scope off, tighten it back up and see where your poi shifts. It may be an eye opener. Thats why it may be necessary to lap your rings and in some extreme cases, even bed your bases. Furthermore, Im not saying its a bad shooter or bad rifle, but you need to make sure your bases are well covered and your foundation established, before pulling the trigger, if you are in search consistent accuracy in a rifle. Jb has been hitting the nail on the head, you may want to pick up some of his books or search out articles regarding accuracy enhancements, rifle accurizing etc. I havent bought a magazine in over a decade, but i know accurizing tips and tricks were always a hot item, discussed by JB's buddies in rifleshooter.

Just got back to this, while you do have a good point, I did some digging.
Nosler only guarantees 1 model, full custom to shoot 3 shots into 3/4” at 100. And that’s with Nosler approved ammo only. 😀
All the other M48’s are only to expect 1 MOA or less at 100.
1 MOA is 1.047” at 100. So if it shoots 3 shots into 1.02 then it’s meeting the accuracy guarantee. 😀
1 MOA @ 200 = roughly 2.094 if it can hold true MOA.
So if it’s shooting 2” @ 200 then it’s actually bettering the guarantee. But I still wouldn’t call 2.5”- 3” out of the realm of normal with out match grade ammo.
I still don’t think it’s parallax, but more him expecting more than the rifle and ammo can do without tuning or a little more work.

I disagree. Maybe with an inexperienced shooter, your viewpoint has some validity, but with someone who has BTDT, shooting off a good bench or rest, if the optics are fine, the group isn't going to open up like that. At least I have never seen it over thousands of rounds in about 2 dozen rifles, and while watching many thousands more fired in at least 2 dozen other rifles and involving at least 20 other shooters. Unless something wonky happens with the bullets, the cone of the load's ability and the shooter's ability to group are going to be roughly linear, if wind is a non-factor. I've been involved in teaching several kids to shoot rifles with magnifying optics, and it is just as true with them. If they can shoot 1" at 50 yds, they basically shoot 2" at 100, 4" at 200, and roughly 6" at 300.

I'm with you HuntnShoot. I think something is wrong, but I'm going to have to do some more testing to figure it out. As I said before, I'm not a professional or a trained sniper, but when I can sit down and shoot multiple groups of 3/4" or better at 100 and then 3"-5" at 200, something is off.........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I highly doubt its a true "1/2 moa" rifle, even at 100. Those, as we all know, are hard to come by.

I agree. Never said it was a 1/2" rifle and it's suspect at best right now....

The title of your thread says "why would a rifle shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards and 2 moa at 200 yards". I didnt say it was a "1/2" rifle" either. There is a difference. If you want help, you need to know and understand the difference. I also think its a parallax issue, as i have lost all faith in leupold rifle scopes. Ive seen so many go tits up, it isn't even funny. Vortex is in the same boat. When evaluating the accuracy potential of a rifle, one of the general rules (for myself) is to start with a "proven" rifle scope and mounting system. If you buy a rifle that already has bases and rings attached, pull them. I make damn sure everything is de-greased and ill go through the extra bit and chase/clean up the tapped holes in the receiver, check screws for proper length (to be sure they arent going to bottom out prematurely), use blue loctite and make sure everything is tight and perfectly lined up. As ive said before, out of alignment rings puts uneven pressure on the scope tube, which may allow the scope to move during recoil. What some dont realize is, if the scope twists or moves, just a minuscule amount, it will have a profound affect on accuracy. If you dont believe me, do a little test with said rifle: Get it all zeroed, then pull the scope off, tighten it back up and see where your poi shifts. It may be an eye opener. Thats why it may be necessary to lap your rings and in some extreme cases, even bed your bases. Furthermore, Im not saying its a bad shooter or bad rifle, but you need to make sure your bases are well covered and your foundation established, before pulling the trigger, if you are in search consistent accuracy in a rifle. Jb has been hitting the nail on the head, you may want to pick up some of his books or search out articles regarding accuracy enhancements, rifle accurizing etc. I havent bought a magazine in over a decade, but i know accurizing tips and tricks were always a hot item, discussed by JB's buddies in rifleshooter.

Just got back to this, while you do have a good point, I did some digging.
Nosler only guarantees 1 model, full custom to shoot 3 shots into 3/4” at 100. And that’s with Nosler approved ammo only. 😀
All the other M48’s are only to expect 1 MOA or less at 100.
1 MOA is 1.047” at 100. So if it shoots 3 shots into 1.02 then it’s meeting the accuracy guarantee. 😀
1 MOA @ 200 = roughly 2.094 if it can hold true MOA.
So if it’s shooting 2” @ 200 then it’s actually bettering the guarantee. But I still wouldn’t call 2.5”- 3” out of the realm of normal with out match grade ammo.
I still don’t think it’s parallax, but more him expecting more than the rifle and ammo can do without tuning or a little more work.

Again, the op says 2 moa at 200 yards, that is a little bigger than 4" at that range. So what he's actually saying in the title of the thread, it's shooting about 1/2" at a 100 and a little more than 4" at 200.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a nice, lightly used rifle and a higher end used scope (separate purchases). My first 2 range trips showed a lot of promise with every hand load I tried shooting 1.25" or better at 100 yd, and several shooting 3/4" or better for 5 shots. Yesterday I moved out to 200 yd with a load that had shot very well previously at 100yd and things went haywire. I shot 8 shots and had a 5" pattern. Frustrated, I moved back to my 100 target and rattled off a 4 shot group just under 3/4".

Personally I have had that happen with 3 rifles guaranteed 1/2 or better bought new. Fugging load they shot the target with beat the guarantee @ 100 fell the hell apart at the 2 and 3. Tweak here and there bingo. Had deer rifles do the same thing. Great at the 1 suck at the 2 and 3.
Nosler says expect, not guaranteed as I posted before. And I didn’t mis-read.

Swifty
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Mirage ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With all these 5 shot groups, and I am assuming a newer rifle.

Could the bore be getting fouled?

Have you scoped the bore?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Personally I have had that happen with 3 rifles guaranteed 1/2 or better bought new. Fugging load they shot the target with beat the guarantee @ 100 fell the hell apart at the 2 and 3. Tweak here and there bingo. Had deer rifles do the same thing. Great at the 1 suck at the 2 and 3.
Nosler says expect, not guaranteed as I posted before. And I didn’t mis-read.

So what kind of tweaks? Bedding? Forend pressure? Action screws?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Bought used. Supposedly less than 200 rounds.
I cleaned the bore good this week and it didn't seem to be excessively dirty. I changed mounts (talleys) and scopes (conquest) and shot a few groups this morning. Didn't have a lot of time, but it appears to be more of the same.

Shot groups of 3.5", 5", and 2" at 200 yards and shot just over 3/4" at 100.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Bought used. Supposedly less than 200 rounds.
I cleaned the bore good this week and it didn't seem to be excessively dirty. I changed mounts (talleys) and scopes (conquest) and shot a few groups this morning. Didn't have a lot of time, but it appears to be more of the same.

Shot groups of 3.5", 5", and 2" at 200 yards and shot just over 3/4" at 100.

If the load that shot the 2” group was the same as the 3/4 then I would tweak around that. Plus if that is successive shrinking of groups at the 2, then don’t clean it. Forget the 1 and just work at the 2.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some more comments on this thread:

First, we still don't know the make of rifle, cartridge, or anything about the ammo.

At first country boy said the wind wasn't over 5 mph, then admitted he had no way to measure it, other than guessing and looking at the local weather report. Then he said it was 2-3 mph, straight on.

We also don't the brand of either scope, or whether either is actually adjustable for parallax. Just because a second scope was tried doesn't mean the second wasn't part of the problem. Several years ago a guy on the Campfire asked me for a good powder/charge for 165's for the .30-06, as he'd just bought one, a model well-known for accuracy. I told him around 58 grains of H4350, and as I recall even suggested a bullet to start with. He couldn't get it to shoot, so I suggested trying another, proven scope. He still couldn't get it to shoot, and I didn't hear from him for a few months. At that point he PM'd me, admitting BOTH scopes were brand-new. He'd finally tried an old beater scope he had, as I recall maybe even a 4x, M8 Leupold. All of sudden the rifle started shooting sub-inch groups with the same load.

We're still lacking a bunch of info, and along with that, many of these rifle-diagnoses threads never get resolved because often its impossible to analyze what's wrong without being there.

Swifty, did you read the article on the 28 Nosler accompanying the handload chart you posted?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I do have some old Sinclair windflags, maybe not as sensitive as today's best but better than my ability anyway, and a bore scope and an Oehler proof chronograph, and parallax adjustable high power scopes that have a relatively narrow depth of field and remind me that the cross hairs and the target can move together or opposite to tell me which way to adjust and a good classic - not joy stick - rest and sandbags and on a good day - diurnal reversal low wind helps - I've shot some bragging groups. My experience has been in line with my reading that at some range the external ballistics will make the group go trumpet shaped that is the group will expand gradually up to a point then start getting much larger and larger yet - but not until the range is much more extended - obvious explanations like bullets coming apart and weird terrain and wind interaction excepted.

On the other hand I have also found that testing loads only at short range is a snare and a delusion and everything looks good at 50 yards and small differences at 100 yards can grow and be obvious at 300 yards and more. Mostly I have figured a difference in wind bucking and winds way out there, maybe bullet noses bumped in the magazine or melted plastic tips - too much caffeine and spicy food when I check for pulse in the scope - but I've always found loads that carried up just fine for my purposes with negligible effort.

I must be missing something so I'd like to know why the OP and the experts never suggested putting up paper in line at 100, 200 and 300 yards to check for group size at multiple ranges from the same shot string? Maybe even have a closer range aiming point and longer range paper target just in case the scope had parallax set for a rimfire or shot gun use - I've got a low power shotgun intended scope set for 75 yards - maybe I thought I could slip a bullet through a small opening in the brush? - mostly for kicking elk out of shady beds on the north face like whitetail in warm weather but the parallax setting is obvious when I move my head with the rifle on a rest? Shooting rim fire for score there are a lot of mechanical adjustments to keep a consistent cheek weld but shooting group at these distances I wouldn't expect any adjustments at all in the scope and let the group form where it may?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

First, we still don't know the make of rifle, cartridge, or anything about the ammo.

At first country boy said the wind wasn't over 5 mph, then admitted he had no way to measure it, other than guessing and looking at the local weather report. Then he said it was 2-3 mph, straight on.

We also don't the brand of either scope, or whether either is actually adjustable for parallax. Just because a second scope was tried doesn't mean the second wasn't part of the problem. Several years ago a guy on the Campfire asked me for a good powder/charge for 165's for the .30-06, as he'd just bought one, a model well-known for accuracy. I told him around 58 grains of H4350, and as I recall even suggested a bullet to start with. He couldn't get it to shoot, so I suggested trying another, proven scope. He still couldn't get it to shoot, and I didn't hear from him for a few months. At that point he PM'd me, admitting BOTH scopes were brand-new. He'd finally tried an old beater scope he had, as I recall maybe even a 4x, M8 Leupold. All of sudden the rifle started shooting sub-inch groups with the same load.

We're still lacking a bunch of info, and along with that, many of these rifle-diagnoses threads never get resolved because often its impossible to analyze what's wrong without being there.

Swifty, did you read the article on the 28 Nosler accompanying the handload chart you posted?

With all due respect, the OP has stated this information in his posts, to one of which you replied "OK."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

John, I think he said it is a Nosler 48 rifle chambered in 7mm08. His handload was a 150gr. ELDX running about 2720 fps. The factory loads were Federal 140gr. NBT running around 2800 fps. An interesting part of his OP, is he states the loads he fired off had shown good accuracy "1.25" or better" on the first outing, but then states he tried them at 200 yards on a different day. I honestly don't think he is working with a good "proven" load. Things like a change in temperature can drastically effect the accuracy of a load, depending on how finicky the rifle is and what powder he's using. Again, he doesn't give specifics on the load. Hell, he doesn't even show pics of the groups. Now about the scopes he's using: The first scope he tried was a Leupold VX5HD (what power range, I don't know). Now it's a "Conquest" of which flavor no body knows. Does it have a parallax adjustment? Who knows. What power range? Who knows. I believe he's being very tight lipped. According to what he said, he doesn't want to "point fingers" if he ended up buying a "junk" rifle or scope. In his words, not mine. Like swifty said, Nosler has a 3 shot guarantee of 1 moa at 100 yards, with their ammo and probably their shooters. The rifle sounds sufficient enough to meet their accuracy requirements. I'm like you though, read enough of these kinds of threads and think to myself, send the damn thing to me. I'll shoot it and if it doesn't shoot well enough, a little tinkering like swifty said and it will be shooting lights out. A lot of these threads don't have enough information and getting that info from the op's seem more like pulling teeth, than anything else. I can see why you get tired of such threads as this one.. and some of these guys wonder why stick is so damn hard on them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Nosler M48 in 7mm-08
Leupold VX-5HD
Talley rings
Handloaded bullets were 150 ELDX with RL-15 powder
Factory ammo was Fed. Premium 140 NBT

Rifle was on sand bags, front and rear.

Posted this on 1/28. Be happy to provide more details and answer any questions if it helps solve this mystery.
The scope that I swapped to this week is a proven zeiss conquest 3-9x40 that I took off my daughter's rifle along with a new set of talleys.
Original scope was a 3-15x44. I promise I'm not trying to hide any details now and not trying to be vague, I'm the one asking for help and suggestions.

My range session today was cut short, but it appears the change in scope didn't help.
Wind today was again barely noticeable and pretty much straight at my back.
My range has dense woods on 3 sides, so wind has never been an issue.

Last edited by country_20boy; 02/02/19.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions and I'm going to keep working on this as I have time.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
An interesting part of his OP, is he states the loads he fired off had shown good accuracy "1.25" or better" on the first outing, but then states he tried them at 200 yards on a different day. I honestly don't think he is working with a good "proven" load. Things like a change in temperature can drastically effect the accuracy of a load, depending on how finicky the rifle is and what powder he's using. Again, he doesn't give specifics on the load. ...

What I actually said was that every load I tried was 1.25" or better at 100 yrds. The load I settled on after the first days testing has shot 3/4" or better at 100 every single time. And I realize that 4 or 5 groups don't really prove anything, but I feel like the rifle is showing good accuracy......probably better than I'm capable of on a regular basis. I'm just having a hard time understanding how a load that does good at 100 will be bad at 200?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
country boy,

Thanks for reminding me of the specifics about the rifle, etc.

Some other people on this thread have also said that the two things they've seen open up groups at longer ranges are wind (especially), and to a certain extent scope parallax--though parallax normally has a far greater effect beyond 200 yards. In fact that was the very first response to your post. Do you know how to check for parallax?

I'm still doubtful about the wind, mostly because I've actually measured wind a lot. Most shooters have very little idea of wind velocity unless they do, and also don't understand how much it can affect bullet drift, even at relatively short ranges.

Combining a little parallax and wind drift can make a considerable difference, even at 200 yards.

You also mentioned that your groups at 200 were scattered side to side, while your brother's were more vertical. Somebody else mentioned a slightly canted reticle as a possibility, but this shouldn't affect group side IF the reticle is aligned with a vertical line on the target the same way for every shot. But if not, at 200 yards, tilting the rifle from shot to shot, even slightly, can make considerable difference. In fact it can make considerable difference even at 100 yards, especially with a relatively high-mounted scope. I have a buddy who was having enormous problems getting a new lightweight rifle to group accurately, and he eventually asked me to help. He'd mounted a scope with a pretty big objective, which required high mounts--and it turned out he was tilting the rifle a little, differently for each shot. I coached him some, and the problem went away.

You've also stated the rifle was rested on sandbags, front and rear. Was the same rest used both at 100 and 200? Did you check to make sure the front sling swivel stud was sufficiently in front of the bag to not bump it during recoil? Did you rest the forend on the same place every time? Some rifles can definitely be affected by forend placement.

Some relatively lightweight rifles can also be affected by the hardness of the front rest. Even sandbags can be compacted hard enough to affect groups after some shooting. With lighter-weight rifles I've found a folded towel over the front rest can make a big difference in group size, as was recently discussed on another thread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An interesting part of his OP, is he states the loads he fired off had shown good accuracy "1.25" or better" on the first outing, but then states he tried them at 200 yards on a different day. I honestly don't think he is working with a good "proven" load. Things like a change in temperature can drastically effect the accuracy of a load, depending on how finicky the rifle is and what powder he's using. Again, he doesn't give specifics on the load. ...

What I actually said was that every load I tried was 1.25" or better at 100 yrds. The load I settled on after the first days testing has shot 3/4" or better at 100 every single time. And I realize that 4 or 5 groups don't really prove anything, but I feel like the rifle is showing good accuracy......probably better than I'm capable of on a regular basis. I'm just having a hard time understanding how a load that does good at 100 will be bad at 200?

I rarely get a chance to shoot at 200. When I do my guns/loads that deliver sub 1" loads almost always open up to closer to 3." I blame that on me. Your case is different. Your experience is that if you have a one inch gun at 100, then it's a two inch gun at 200. I would be inclined in this case to remove the shooter as a variable. I'd try one more scope (one with adjustable parallax if possible) if possible. It's a pita, but maybe remove a scope off of one of the guns that you get 2 inch 200 yard groups with. At that point I'd say you have eliminated the scope as a possibility. That leaves you with a gun that misbehaves.

You said it's lightly used. How often do we read here of someone who can't get a gun to behave and they "send it down the road?" You may have had a gun sent down your road. I hope you can get everything worked out. I will be following this thread with interest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes MD I did, I also read several reviews which I suppose I could dig up again but they were with a M48 in 7-08 and they mirrored yours for accuracy @100 but stating the 200 were very disappointing seems the rifles would open up past 3”.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Am still trying to figure out how that happens, without outside factors being involved.

Quite a few shooters believe bullets "destabilize" as they get farther from the muzzle, but bullets actually become more stable at "normal" ranges as velocity decreases.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 9 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.