Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My boys wanted a hunting knife set and I didn't want to let them down. I really liked the looks of some of geedubyas Menefees so I figured I'd give it a shot. They're not perfect but they're sharp and should cut fine. I put a little vinegar patina on the blades to dull them up. Really dig the sharpmaker too.

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thats a nice set. Should be great hunters.Congrats to your boys.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ya' darned skippy!

Good stuff!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Those are a couple of good looking knives! I'll bet your Son's will be very pleased with that fine hand crafted gift from Dad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, those look great. Homebrewn?

Please tell a bit more - steel, treatment, grind, spine thickness, stock shape...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Definitely killed it ! Nice work

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Very well designed/executed set of knives, I particularly like the vinegar patina. A father to son gift that will be cherished for a lifetime and handed down.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ready

Please tell a bit more - steel, treatment, grind, spine thickness, stock shape...

I started out with some 1.5" x 12" x .125" 1080 steel billets. This stuff still had the mill scale on it which kinda sucked. I just bought some from a different supplier that comes ground so I don't have that crap! 1080 is easy for me to heat treat so I'm sticking with it for now. I brought the temp up to non-magnetic, then gave it another minute or so. I don't have any Parks 50 so I'm stuck with canola oil heated to 130 deg for my quench. I do two, two hour tempers at 400 deg.

I bring my edge down to about .03" before I heat treat, then down to about .01 before sharpening. I might need to go a bit thinner but it's just so easy to jack up your temper when doing your final grinding. I'm using a angle grinder to cut out the rough shape, bench grinder to get it closer, and a cheap 4x36 with ceramic belts for everything else. It's just a wing it garage hobby that I'm really enjoying right now.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Very well designed/executed set of knives, I particularly like the vinegar patina. A father to son gift that will be cherished for a lifetime and handed down.

I did a geedubya and used one to cut up my steak last night. That put more color on the blade than the vinegar!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wingin it pretty damn good!

Bet their smile’s a little bigger when they tell their friends their old man made those!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They look great!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those look awesome.

I've had my Sharpmaker for about 25 years now. The stones are concave. Still going strong.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Those look awesome.

I've had my Sharpmaker for about 25 years now. The stones are concave. Still going strong.

I'm glad I picked one up, it puts a great edge on the knives. I bought a worksharp last year and I'm not sold on it. It hogs out some material real fast if you're not careful.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You got the diamond thingies too?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I haven't picked up the diamond ones yet. Not sure if I really need them, though it sounds like they would be good on a jacked up edge that needed some work. I figure if ones that bad I'll get it close on my belt sander first.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Really do like the blade shape of the bottom one and love the handle material.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

I started out with some 1.5" x 12" x .125" 1080 steel billets. This stuff still had the mill scale on it which kinda sucked. I just bought some from a different supplier that comes ground so I don't have that crap! 1080 is easy for me to heat treat so I'm sticking with it for now. I brought the temp up to non-magnetic, then gave it another minute or so. I don't have any Parks 50 so I'm stuck with canola oil heated to 130 deg for my quench. I do two, two hour tempers at 400 deg.

I bring my edge down to about .03" before I heat treat, then down to about .01 before sharpening. I might need to go a bit thinner but it's just so easy to jack up your temper when doing your final grinding. I'm using a angle grinder to cut out the rough shape, bench grinder to get it closer, and a cheap 4x36 with ceramic belts for everything else. It's just a wing it garage hobby that I'm really enjoying right now.

Thank you for the details. Thoroughly enjoyed. It sounds like you have it quite figured out and the results bear witness. Winging-it-shop-hobbyist here, too.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Thank you for the details. Thoroughly enjoyed. It sounds like you have it quite figured out and the results bear witness. Winging-it-shop-hobbyist here, too.

[Linked Image]

I like it, good looking blade! It's been a good hobby during the dark winter. Keeps me entertained and I've got something to show for it when I'm done.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice work Ptarmigan!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Nice work Ptarmigan!

Thanks man! If nothing else I’m having fun with it and when I’m done I’ve got something I can use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

479 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 222ND, 1Longbow, 37 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,718
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.