Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Buddy of mine just called me from a wall Mart store and they have Ruger 10-22 for $220. Does wall Mart sell inferior rifles? I can't see any manufacturer making a substanard anything just for one retailer?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, Wal-Mart sells the same rifles, they just buy them in much larger quantities and can often afford to sell them for less than what a small dealer would pay for them at wholesale.

$220 is a little high for a basic 10/22 Carbine.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Really, where should he look for a better deal?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Remington6MM I can't see any manufacturer making a substanard anything just for one retailer?[/quote]

I think the rifles Walmart sells are as good as any.

Some manufacturers will cheapen a product if they're squeezed hard enough by a BIG retailer.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Really, where should he look for a better deal?

Bi-Mart on sale $189 IIRC pretty often

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by night_owl
[quote=Remington6MM I can't see any manufacturer making a substanard anything just for one retailer?

Some manufacturers will cheapen a product if they're squeezed hard enough by a BIG retailer. [/quote]

Explain how this is done!!! A Rem 700 ADL sold by Wally World is the same Rem 700 ADL sold by any other retailer. The lower price at Wally World comes from buying in quantity...

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Walmart does strike deals with manufactures to make special Walmart exclusive model runs of products that can only be purchased new from Walmart, including the Ruger 10-22. One example was several years back Ruger made a non-cataloged special run of the 10-22 in stainless/silver finish with laminated grey/black wood stocks in both standard and international (Mannlicher) versions just for Walmart only.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Highoctane
[quote=Remington6MM I can't see any manufacturer making a substanard anything just for one retailer?

Some manufacturers will cheapen a product if they're squeezed hard enough by a BIG retailer.

Explain how this is done!!! A Rem 700 ADL sold by Wally World is the same Rem 700 ADL sold by any other retailer. The lower price at Wally World comes from buying in quantity...
[/quote]

Where did he say Remington? Ruger? Gun?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certain distributors, and dealers if they are large enough, and Walmart is, can have the manufacturer to make special runs for them. The quality will be the same, the difference will be in the caliber, or cosmetically. As far as the Walmart 1022's go, I bought 2 last year when Walmart had their big sale going on. One was a synthetic stocked one, the other a stainless takedown model. They both shoot and function every bit as well as any other 10-22 I've ever fired.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Buddy of mine just called me from a wall Mart store and they have Ruger 10-22 for $220. Does wall Mart sell inferior rifles? I can't see any manufacturer making a substanard anything just for one retailer?

$220 is a bit high. Scheels used to have them for $189 almost weekly when I lived out west.

The myth that Wal Mart rifles are different is just that, it's a myth. This was a lie perpetuated by mom and pop shops throughout the 90's. The internet has mostly killed the fallacy but it still floats out there a bit.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mom and Pop been bitchin' about the big stores and later the internet forever. Used to have a point in places like hardware stores when the counter guy knew what he was selling. Now you'll probably be waited on by a kid who failed the drug test for a job at Starbucks and knows less than my old Lab. Got pretty tired of hearing, "I can have that for you in about a week" , which really means two weeks and forty-eleven phone calls checking on it.

I can have "it" overnight for about the same price, including the uncharge for express shipping.

Had a Walmart special, SS in a nice checkered birch stock with a rubber buttpad. Nice little gun for $230. Sold it, of course.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Firearms manufacturers used to make so-called "House Brand" products for large retailers, most of which were basically the same as those that were cataloged and sold under the manufacturer's own name, but were usually less expensive due to differences in the finish, the type of wood used, and the sights.

I own or have owned house brand rifles and shotgun that were made by High Standard, Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, and Winchester for Coast-To-Coast Hardware, Gamble-Aldens, J.C. Penney, Montgomery Wards, Sears, W.T. Grant, and Western Auto.

I currently have a J.C. Penney house brand Marlin 336, their Model 3040, a Sears house brand Winchester 190, their Model 3-T, and a Wards house brand Mossberg 500, their Model M550CR.

Firearms manufacturers make non-cataloged configurations of their cataloged firearms for large retailers and wholesalers. Some manufacturers, Marlin and Savage come to mind, had what amounted to internal house brands. Marlin had the Glenfield brand and Savage had the Stevens, Springfield, and Westpoint brands. Remington and Ruger make multiple runs of non-cataloged configuration firearms every year. Ruger makes limited runs of non-cataloged firearms for Lipsey's that, because they are non-cataloged configurations and made in small number, become instantly collectible. Lipsey's stainless Number 1s and 77 RSIs are probably the most well known.

Wal-Mart regularly does odd things with their firearms. Recently, they sold off their inventory of Weatherby Vanguard rifles for as little as $250, about a 50% mark down. Back in 2007, they marked down and sold off their inventory of Remington 700 ADLs for as little as $275. They have done the same with some Rugers and Savages and probably other brands too. Like most retailers, Wal-Mart doesn't like to carry over large inventories of seasonal products, so they have regular purges, "fire sales", to move their remaining inventory. Around Omaha, they are currently selling their inventory of black powder rifles and associated products at reduced prices and do so every year, starting around mid-January.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Had a Walmart special, SS in a nice checkered birch stock with a rubber buttpad. Nice little gun for $230.

I was wondering if anybody else remembered the Walmart special 10/22. I still have one. I picked up mine used. I like the long, stainless barrel--I think it's 22" but I might be wrong. The stock is pretty cool.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Waders

Had a Walmart special, SS in a nice checkered birch stock with a rubber buttpad. Nice little gun for $230.

I was wondering if anybody else remembered the Walmart special 10/22. I still have one. I picked up mine used. I like the long, stainless barrel--I think it's 22" but I might be wrong. The stock is pretty cool.

The might be the K10/22-22, featuring a birch deluxe sporter style stock, silver receiver, and 22" stainless sporter contour barrel? Wal-Mart has reordered that configuration multiple times. I bought one in 2008 at the W-M in Council Bluffs, IA, and used the receiver as the donor for a build. I bought a used one in 12/18 that I restocked with an American style stock with the length and comb height modules. I like the balance of the longer barrel and the higher comb make it come quicker to the eye when shooting a scope than the typical low comb carbine stocks. At my age and with my eyesight, open sights are as useless as any useless thing that I can think of. If you wanted to install a longer barrel on a 10/22. S and P outfitters has the 20" and 22" stainless sporter contour barrels, along with several others, for sale on their site, www.sapoutfitters.com .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Highoctane

Where did he say Remington? Ruger? Gun?

[/quote]

Exactly!

Electronics, especially televisions, lawnmowers, as well as many other types of products. High volume big box retailers strike deals with manufacturers to make special model runs to their specs at lower cost just for them. Besides benefiting from volume discount pricing, retailer's special models may have fewer features and/or lower cost components than open market models, and also have the retailer's own proprietary model numbers therefore can't be price matched.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Waders

The might be the K10/22-22, featuring a birch deluxe sporter style stock, silver receiver, and 22" stainless sporter contour barrel? Wal-Mart has reordered that configuration multiple times. I bought one in 2008 at the W-M in Council Bluffs, IA, and used the receiver as the donor for a build. I bought a used one in 12/18 that I restocked with an American style stock with the length and comb height modules. I like the balance of the longer barrel and the higher comb make it come quicker to the eye when shooting a scope than the typical low comb carbine stocks. At my age and with my eyesight, open sights are as useless as any useless thing that I can think of. If you wanted to install a longer barrel on a 10/22. S and P outfitters has the 20" and 22" stainless sporter contour barrels, along with several others, for sale on their site, www.sapoutfitters.com .

This is the Walmart Exclusive special run of the Ruger 10-22 I was referencing in my above post: [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My K10/22-22 reply was intended for Waders.

I have 4 of the WM special stainless laminated mannlichers, the 10/22KRBIBBZ style, that I bought between November 1997 and Jan/Feb 1998. I paid full price for the first one, but only around $130 for each of the other 3. I sent the first one to Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, to be checkered and gave it to my Wife at Christmas 1997.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a blued Sporter version from Whittakers last week. They had a special price of $249 but after I entered the special code it was $212 with free shipping and no tax.
I mounted a red dot I had laying around on it & plan to install a Volquartsen target hammer. Should be a fun plinker.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by deflave

$220 is a bit high. Scheels used to have them for $189 almost weekly when I lived out west.

The myth that Wal Mart rifles are different is just that, it's a myth. This was a lie perpetuated by mom and pop shops throughout the 90's. The internet has mostly killed the fallacy but it still floats out there a bit.

Deflave, I don’t believe that is completely true. About 25 years ago I bought a Marlin model 336 with a “W” stamped after the “336” from Wal-Mart.. It was chambered in 30-30 Win. I have never seen a 336W anywhere since. It had a much cheaper “no-frills” butt stock and fore-arm wood on it, however the steel (action/barrel) appeared to be the same as any other Marlin 336 of that time.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen a Model 336W anywhere else before, so I am assuming that the “W” stood for Wal-Mart.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
was in my local Wal Mart today and they had on there rack a Savage stainless Axis in 6.5 Creed for $189.00 with a 4x12 scope

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.