-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, it's a limit on training....as has always been the case with small guns in fighting calibers. That is, unless we think we might get into a shootout going beyond 30 or 40 rounds. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The solution to the problem is the Sig P365. Slightly smaller than a G43, slim grip with 10+1 round capacity (12+1 with extended mag) , and a better trigger. Checks all the boxes, no compromises.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some are uncomfortable to shoot and some aren't. Back when the Kel Tec single stack came out, all the gunshow-er's that I talked to had one stuck in their jeans or overalls. Of course even then you weren't supposed to carry in the shows, but they all did and almost all of them had one. I'd say that none of them shot them. I had one or two of them and they sucked ass. If they worked, which was not all the time, the recoil was unpleasant. OTOH, I have a Sig P938 which is very nice to shoot even with relatively heavy 9 self defense loads. The only downside to the 938 is the hard-to-load magazines which are nigh impossible to load the last round into. Both the Kel Tec and P938 are very concealable, to the point that I fail to see any real need for a 380. In fact, the last 380 I had, an NAA Guardian, was a wicked kicking little mofo. It was a bit more concealable at the expense of being about like the Kel Tec, kick-wise.

I also have a double stack Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact. It has always been completely reliable. It also recoils very comfortably. I personally thought that the double stack magazine well/grip surface spread the recoil out in the palm to the extent that it made it so. But now I've got the Sig, which I expected to be like the Kel Tec and wasn't, so...I dunno. Both are good guns though and concealable but the Sig is much more so than the Smith.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The solution to the problem is the Sig P365. Slightly smaller than a G43, slim grip with 10+1 round capacity (12+1 with extended mag) , and a better trigger. Checks all the boxes, no compromises.

+1

10+ rounds of 9mm, great trigger, nite sites from the factory, fits in the same holster as my G42, and mine has been dead nuts reliable.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by deflave
Their smaller design and reduced profile may produce a snappier gun and increase felt recoil to your palm, but I'd wager most people that struggle with that have a hard time with double stacked guns to begin with.

Yes if we're talking about slow fire. Not so much if we're talking about more realistic defensive drills.

Huh?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by NVhntr

+1

10+ rounds of 9mm, great trigger, nite sites from the factory, fits in the same holster as my G42, and mine has been dead nuts reliable.

Those do look great.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Their smaller design and reduced profile may produce a snappier gun and increase felt recoil to your palm, but I'd wager most people that struggle with that have a hard time with double stacked guns to begin with.

Yes if we're talking about slow fire. Not so much if we're talking about more realistic defensive drills.

Huh?

Maybe at the esoteric level described in the post, not at the level of what I see at the range.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can see the value of single stack 9mm for dedicate CCW. I get that. For those that are not aware, I'm a 1911 fan, One of the complaints leveled against the 1911 is limited magazine capacity but then the popularity of single stack 9mm that have the same or less capacity of the 1911? If 8+1 round of 45acp wasn't good, how can 7+1 9mm be that great? I understand the platform is much smaller than full size government 1911 but you STILL have the limited capacity.

A second often quoted advantage of 9mm is softer recoil. But get into those micro and subcompact 9mm and the recoil is so gentle anymore. Granted it is softer recoiling than similar sized 45acp. However, I think a disservice is being done here as new shooter who don't know any better gravitate to these smaller, limited capacity 9mm and are surprised at the recoil.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Huh?

Maybe at the esoteric level described in the post, not at the level of what I see at the range.

A smaller gun is tougher to shoot.

I don't see how that could apply to slow fire and not "realistic defensive drills."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by leomort
I can see the value of single stack 9mm for dedicate CCW. I get that. For those that are not aware, I'm a 1911 fan, One of the complaints leveled against the 1911 is limited magazine capacity but then the popularity of single stack 9mm that have the same or less capacity of the 1911? If 8+1 round of 45acp wasn't good, how can 7+1 9mm be that great? I understand the platform is much smaller than full size government 1911 but you STILL have the limited capacity.

A second often quoted advantage of 9mm is softer recoil. But get into those micro and subcompact 9mm and the recoil is so gentle anymore. Granted it is softer recoiling than similar sized 45acp. However, I think a disservice is being done here as new shooter who don't know any better gravitate to these smaller, limited capacity 9mm and are surprised at the recoil.

It's a disadvantage in a 1911 because a 1911 isn't lighter or smaller. So it's a compromise without gain. Unless you consider a wider bullet a gain. I don't.

New shooters should never be started off on small guns. That's just poor instructing. Has nothing to do with the benefits of a gun's design.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's go to the board:

Bigger, heavier guns are generally easier to use than smaller, lighter guns. Am I keeping up?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Travis,

New shooters often fall prey to marketing and advertising. My fiancé like those small single stack as they looked "cute" and the slim single stack 9mm felt good in her hand. Long story short, she thought she'd like, turned out she didn't. Some lesson have to learned the hard way. She is going to go back to the Walther PPQ 9mm that she loves to shoot.

My opinion only, but I don't think limited capacity is good thing

A big advantage to 9mm is it's cost advantage. Since I'm cheap that's its saving grace to me wink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm with you. I don't think less ammo is a good thing either.

But there's no free lunch and when you have to reduce weight, size, or both, it's gotta come off somewhere.

I love the single stacks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leomort

Since I'm cheap that's its saving grace to me wink

Don't tell your fiancé that unless she already has embraced the concept.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I still wanna try one of those .380 EZ's.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still wanna try one of those .380 EZ's.

SOS has a sale on those too - $339.99 and includes a somewhat useful lock box.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those 380 EZ's look nice! Haven't shoot it but they're available to rent at the indoor gun range I go to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Single stack, besides size and weight considerations could force the operator to aim better having less rounds to "spray and pray" salvo psychology.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Single stack, besides size and weight considerations could force the operator to aim better having less rounds to "spray and pray" salvo psychology.

Hasn't that been pretty well debunked?

It's pretty simple, really. Besides the ease of concealment, some people's hands are "double stack challenged". Whether or not the round limitation is a concern, is a personal matter.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

1983 called.

It wants it’s theory back.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.