-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This should help the upper midwest with the EAB problem.

Sub-zero temps killing emerald ash borers

Outdoor News,
You probably didn’t jump for joy when sub-zero air burned your cheeks in recent days. And with good reason: these temperatures, ranging from 30-below-zero in the Twin Cities to 50-below in northern Minnesota, pose a danger to us. But there is a silver lining: we can expect this cold to kill a significant portion of emerald ash borers (EAB) in the state.

Emerald ash borer larvae overwinter under the bark of ash trees. Their larvae use one of Mother Nature’s more fascinating mechanisms to supercool: they generate chemicals to prevent their tiny bodies from freezing at the normal freezing point. It’s similar to the effect of salty compounds on winter roads. Still, they can – and do – freeze when temperatures reach the extreme lows we’ve seen across Minnesota in recent days.

“When temps get to minus-30, 70 to 90 percent of larvae may be frozen,” says Rob Venette, a USDA Forest Service research biologist. “(But) the precise relationship between cold and EAB mortality changes a bit from year to year.”

The last Polar Vortex, in January 2014, offers a good example. The air temperature in the Twin Cities fell to -23 that year. Samples taken from cut logs and standing trees that had been outdoors during the winter showed 60 to 70 percent of larvae had been killed in most locations, Venette says.

So, this year’s Polar Vortex is good news for ash in Minnesota.

In case you’re wondering, the extreme cold doesn’t have much of an effect on Minnesota’s native forest pests. They are well adapted to our cold winter temperatures. The eastern larch beetle, for example, can survive down to minus-56 as larvae and minus-43 as adults. In addition, many adult larch beetles overwinter under the snow line, which insulates them against low air temperatures. The eastern larch beetle has wiped out hundreds of thousands of acres of tamarack in Minnesota over nearly two decades, but it will take more than cold to stop it.

But while the cold won’t do much for our tamarack, it will help our ash.

— Forest Health Team

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doubt it will kill Tennessee ticks.

Those little bastards have Prestone for blood.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Doubt it will kill Tennessee ticks.

Those little bastards have Prestone for blood.

Considering their food choices from among the bipedal livestock I would have thought it was more like 50/50 alcohol.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No flies...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It is supposed to cut back our Armadillo invasion.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.