Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Savage 24 guys,

I have sav 24F in 223 and 12 gauge and the rifle is very accurate and the barrel has threaded tubes and patterns very well.

Just not to the same point of impact. The shotgun shoots about 6 inches lower than the rifle, but its on center.

I'm toying with a optic to help this and want to know if anyone has tried:

1. Ballistic dots reticle?
2. heavy duplex scope and sight off the transition from fine to heavy?
3. Two same make reddots in a co-witness format and use whichever applies.

Can the barrels be regulated?

Got any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance

HD

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bailey can make you offset choke tubes that will raise the shotgun pattern.

Addition: If the barrels are separated and attached by a hanger on the muzzle end, someone who knows what they are doing can make another hanger to change the shotgun pattern POI. Although it may mess up the rifle barrel vibrations and effect accuracy.

Last edited by battue; 01/06/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
On my 24F I use a scope (for the rifle) and see thru rings for the open sights (shotgun)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by savage2400
On my 24F I use a scope (for the rifle) and see thru rings for the open sights (shotgun)

Bingo !!!!!! As much as I hate see thru rings I find them necessary on my Savage 24's, both rimfire and centerfire.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by savage2400

I prefer to use QD rings on Savage 24s, so the scope can be quickly removed if the shotgun barrel is going to be used. The Durasight QR rings are inexpensive and have an integral recoil lug, unlike the Warne QR Maxima rings, so they are a quick and easy on and off. They come in 2 heights, medium and high, and 2 colors, black and silver.

DS403B = high - black
DS400B = medium - black
DS403S = high - silver
DS400S = medium - silver

www.durasight.com

I always run a PT&G alignment reamer through these rings before I use them, as I have run across a couple that still had a bit of mold spruce on them that would probably scratched a scope tube if they weren't removed.

EDIT: You can usually buy these rings on eBay for under $25.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 01/06/19. Reason: Added comment
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP again...

Good idea on the see through mounts. I may have a issue though...

My 24f is used for beaver removal and thats usually a late evening activity. Shoot rifle at 50 to 75 yard range until too dark and then switch to shotgun.

So I would have to upgrade the iron sights fiber optic?

Do you put a comb riser on the stock?

Keep the suggestions coming in.

Battue: I think the barrels are soldered together.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mine is usually for turkey hunts so I did get a set of fiber optic sights.My see thrus are Leopold--their model 55880--got them at wally world (less than $20)but now the local ones don't carry them anymore.Good thing I bought extras!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope on my 22 Hornet/20 gauge mounted in low rings. Yes it's a small opening to the hammer but it works ok. I'm a believer of the lower the scope the better. My rifle is on at 25 and 50 yards. The shotgun patterns center left right but 2/3 above the bullseye 1/3 below. Works for me. Bonus - Winchester slugs hit very close at 25 and 50 yards.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My "Pennsylvania Turkey Special" 222/20ga turned coyote getter has the scope zero set at 75 yards for the 222 barrel and the SG is perfect up to 40 yards by putting the horizontal crosshair on the coyotes back.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well... I guess I haven't posted this anywhere in a couple years. wink

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that is a unique fix I've never seen!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
and here I was thinking of doing the same thing with two red dots!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would have thought that 6" is neither here nor there when it comes to shotgun patterns. If the centre of the pattern is 6" below the POI of the rifle at, say, 40 yards you still have a fair bit of the pattern above that POI. I wouldn't have thought you'd have much excuse for not killing a beaver or whatever else.

That said, there are a couple of other things you might try. One is trying different loads, both rifle and shotgun, to see if you can narrow the gap. A somewhat stiffer load from the shotgun, for example, may pattern a bit higher, while a change of bullet with the rifle may alter elevation (and, due to harmonics, this can be difficult to predict).

The other thing you could try is one you already mentioned, and that is regulation. While the Savage doesn't have provision for it you could consider the way other combos like the Baikal achieve it, by way of applying a bit of pressure to the barrels to deflect (bend) them. The Baikals do this with a screw between the barrels at about the midpoint, which screw obviously you don't have, but you might try using some shim stock or similar to achieve the same effect, either at the midpoint (bending the midpoint of the rifle barrel up a fraction) or in the muzzle bracket to apply some force downward on the rifle barrel. Once you've found the sweet spot you just need to fix the shim stock in place and Bob's your uncle.

Personally though, if the shotgun barrel was centring its pattern a mere 6" low at 40 - 50 yards I'd be inclined not to worry about it. I wouldn't have see-through mounts on a bet. I'd have a scope with a low magnification (I find 1.5-6 ideal for combinations), mounted low, and sight in for the rifle barrel. Using the shotgun I'd look right through the scope, focussed on the target and ignoring the reticle, putting any ideas about aiming out of my mind. I've shot lots of running and flying critters precisely that way - even shot a bit of trap that way.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I would have thought that 6" is neither here nor there when it comes to shotgun patterns. If the centre of the pattern is 6" below the POI of the rifle at, say, 40 yards you still have a fair bit of the pattern above that POI. I wouldn't have thought you'd have much excuse for not killing a beaver or whatever else.

That said, there are a couple of other things you might try. One is trying different loads, both rifle and shotgun, to see if you can narrow the gap. A somewhat stiffer load from the shotgun, for example, may pattern a bit higher, while a change of bullet with the rifle may alter elevation (and, due to harmonics, this can be difficult to predict).

The other thing you could try is one you already mentioned, and that is regulation. While the Savage doesn't have provision for it you could consider the way other combos like the Baikal achieve it, by way of applying a bit of pressure to the barrels to deflect (bend) them. The Baikals do this with a screw between the barrels at about the midpoint, which screw obviously you don't have, but you might try using some shim stock or similar to achieve the same effect, either at the midpoint (bending the midpoint of the rifle barrel up a fraction) or in the muzzle bracket to apply some force downward on the rifle barrel. Once you've found the sweet spot you just need to fix the shim stock in place and Bob's your uncle.

Personally though, if the shotgun barrel was centring its pattern a mere 6" low at 40 - 50 yards I'd be inclined not to worry about it. I wouldn't have see-through mounts on a bet. I'd have a scope with a low magnification (I find 1.5-6 ideal for combinations), mounted low, and sight in for the rifle barrel. Using the shotgun I'd look right through the scope, focussed on the target and ignoring the reticle, putting any ideas about aiming out of my mind. I've shot lots of running and flying critters precisely that way - even shot a bit of trap that way.

Good ideas.

My shotgun shoots about 6 inches low at 10 yards when I had a low mounted 1.5 - 4.5 scope on it.

I bought this gun from a turkey hunter and started thinking it would be a nice short turkey blind gun if I can get it sighted in so Im not guessing when I put my bead on a gobbler...

So I tried it with the iron sights only and determined its not my future turkey gun...

I shot it with a heavy 3 inch turkey load and the way it jumped and recoiled reminded me of that video of the Pakistani guy shooting a elephant gun and dropping it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or sell it and buy a decent combo gun that you don't have to Jerry-rig to get it to work.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 450fan
I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope on my 22 Hornet/20 gauge mounted in low rings. Yes it's a small opening to the hammer but it works ok. I'm a believer of the lower the scope the better. My rifle is on at 25 and 50 yards. The shotgun patterns center left right but 2/3 above the bullseye 1/3 below. Works for me. Bonus - Winchester slugs hit very close at 25 and 50 yards.

FWIW, I have shot better groups with Brenneke slugs in 20 and 16 smoothbores than with FED/REM/WIN Foster style rifled slugs. They are what I keep in the elastic carrier on the stock of my 24F in 223/20.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
[quote=erich]Or sell it and buy a decent combo gun that you don't have to Jerry-rig to get it to work.[/quote

Ive had that idea.

Its handy to only grab one gun when Im at the farm, but I wouldn't replace it with another combo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you had a decent combo gun it might turn into a favorite.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi all you 24F fans, I mounted a 2-7 28mm Leupold on mine, works great on both barrels. The magpies and ravens don't even come here anymore, LOL

Attached Images
0.jpg (11.65 KB, 25 downloads)
24F
0.jpg (11.65 KB, 14 downloads)

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't seem to work with the attachment manager. Mine is 22 magnum over 20 gauge.

Last edited by 378Canuck; 02/01/19.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.