-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I remember the prior thread, but didn't realize that you drove. That added to the adventure and two nice animals.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Cascade
Honestly, I forgot that I posted this after the hunt.

But, what the heck.

Guy

Sometimes, after a great trip, there is a period of time where you aren't really accountable for your actions.

Here's your original thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12070178

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To say I'm jealous would be an understatement.

Heck, I'm jealous of your drive up there!

Sounds like an awesome time.

How did the .30-06 do?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff Guy! Great too see you back!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also, how did you like the Wrangler for that long of a trip?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B2

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Jake - I take the Wrangler on long trips several times a year. Last spring it carried my wife and I on a 3,600 mile trip through the southwest including a lot of 4wd use on desert roads.

It's NOT the greatest highway car! Especially the two-door. A little "twitchy" with the steering. I transitioned from a full-size truck to the Wrangler six years ago, and though I like the little rascal, it wouldn't be my first choice for a long highway drive. It did just fine on the trip up to Fairbanks and back, but frankly that road is nice enough now that a Toyota Camry or whatever could do it just fine, be more comfortable, and get better fuel economy. It is an incredible drive, and I am so glad that I took the time to drive this time, instead of simply flying up again.

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning: [Linked Image]

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 02/01/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grizzlies are very tenacious of life and can excel at gymnastics when by a bullet.
Ya did good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've flown in that same Currier into the Chandalar river country, Wright Air correct? Congrats on a great hunt too!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jake - I take the Wrangler on long trips several times a year. Last spring it carried my wife and I on a 3,600 mile trip through the southwest including a lot of 4wd use on desert roads.

It's NOT the greatest highway car! Especially the two-door. A little "twitchy" with the steering. I transitioned from a full-size truck to the Wrangler six years ago, and though I like the little rascal, it wouldn't be my first choice for a long highway drive. It did just fine on the trip up to Fairbanks and back, but frankly that road is nice enough now that a Toyota Camry or whatever could do it just fine, be more comfortable, and get better fuel economy. It is an incredible drive, and I am so glad that I took the time to drive this time, instead of simply flying up again.

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning: [Linked Image]

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

I hate finding bullets in bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Close range, wounded bear + multiple bullets and multiple guns = "life insurance" + many good stories told in the future. Nothing to regret there. Sounds like a smart investment to me!

I had the luxury of 50+ yards and a river between me and my bear. Hit him hard in the shoulder with my first shot (good old 175gr CoreLokt) and he turned and took off to where he'd come (across a small shallow slough from willows). I pulled my second shot over his back like you did out of excitement! Subconsciously kicked myself in the "arse" and put the 3rd one where it was supposed to go. The third was probably not needed as he died in the slough BUT I did not want him getting back to those willows! We crossed the river to him, dragged him up the bank and gutted him as it started to get dark. I later spent a very uncomfortable night in the spike tent several hundred yards away and across the river. Bear trails in the grass and salmon carcasses everywhere! No bear fences back then.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Close range, wounded bear + multiple bullets and multiple guns = "life insurance" + many good stories told in the future. Nothing to regret there. Sounds like a smart investment to me!

I had the luxury of 50+ yards and a river between me and my bear. Hit him hard in the shoulder with my first shot (good old 175gr CoreLokt) and he turned and took off to where he'd come (across a small shallow slough from willows). I pulled my second shot over his back like you did out of excitement! Subconsciously kicked myself in the "arse" and put the 3rd one where it was supposed to go. The third was probably not needed as he died in the slough BUT I did not want him getting back to those willows! We crossed the river to him, dragged him up the bank and gutted him as it started to get dark. I later spent a very uncomfortable night in the spike tent several hundred yards away and across the river. Bear trails in the grass and salmon carcasses everywhere! No bear fences back then.

Once listened all night to many bears arguing over the carcass of one of their own. By morning the only sign there had ever been a dead bear there was a little blood in the grass and mud.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been in on close to a dozen Brown bear and grizzly kills and I gotta say there's just something about those Brooke's range bears. Awesome story and pics.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful bear! Looks like you had a great trip, and most important, had a proper appreciation for the whole experience. Very well done!

Jeff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Friend of mine from New Mexico drove up two years in a row all the way to Pump Station 5 on the Dalton Hwy. This past summer he killed his Brooks range grizzly with his open sighted 300 H&H with Dave Leonard. I saw quite a few when working in Bettles.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Awesome trip!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, I forgot that I posted this after the hunt.

But, what the heck.

Guy

I’ll never tire of looking at a bear like that. Beautiful Congrats to you and thank you for visiting the place we call home

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Win win win, wonderful! Thanks for sharing...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What a great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing those. Glad you are back on the fire.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That great second photo, to see that country ahead, you gotta know you're not just going from point A to point B, you are on a path and a journey your smartphone cannot hold.

Last edited by 5thShock; 02/03/19. Reason: spelling
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 5thShock
That great second photo, to see that country ahead, you gotta know you're not just going from point A to point B, you are on a path and a journey your smartpone cannot hold.

Thank you. That was taken on the "Top of the World Highway" in Yukon, as I was heading towards Dawson City. I thought it was one of the most impressive parts of the route.

Regards, Guy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 1973cb450, 10 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.