Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What's the deal with the rubber bolt sleeve / buffer thing that was mentioned?

RyanTX, where do y'all shoot? I'll take a look at the stuff you recommended. The boys have been shooting SC with the 15-22 and a dot but just got into SASP matches and having a gun with irons would be a good option for them.

That’s a Kidd bolt buffer. You want one plus a Kidd bolt handle.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What's the deal with the rubber bolt sleeve / buffer thing that was mentioned?

RyanTX, where do y'all shoot? I'll take a look at the stuff you recommended. The boys have been shooting SC with the 15-22 and a dot but just got into SASP matches and having a gun with irons would be a good option for them.

The bolt buffer adds a little cushion where the bolt slams against the back of the receiver when firing. For us, it seems to reduce vibration while shooting and makes it a little quieter.

We primarily shoot with our club in Lubbock, but have shot in matches in Midland/Odessa and in NM. My boys shot in the 4H rifle competitions for a few years and I wanted to get them into SASP, but there are no programs in our area for them to participate in unfortunately.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In our SC matches the one thing I've noticed is everybody who has trouble is using an extended magazine, made bad ammo choices or has an aftermarket barrel.

Not saying all aftermarket barrels will give you problems but tight tolerances don't do any favors for reliability.
I think the magazine problem is a heavy mag used over and over wears a little and flops around in the magwell.
And 22 ammo just plain out sucks so find what your gun likes and stick with it.

I'm not sure what the SASP accuracy needs are but in SC or Metal Madness, I'd stress reliability over accuracy. I've seen more than one guy win with a stock 10/22 against some high dollar guns.

Why not stick sights on the 15-22?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Kidd makes top quality 10/22 parts

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Far be from me to present as a heretic on this topic, particularly in light of the loony tangents I've pursued in life, but with that said I offer a short description of a similar endeavor done on the cheap with resounding success....in my opinion.

Was back in the last century when a co-worker decided to thin his herd a bit and offered a 10/22 for sale, a DEEEEEElux he said. Took a look and for the most part it seemed a fair deal. Few spots of rust on the barrel, otherwise in good shape. Coughed up the requested $75, bought some ammo and went to the range. Wow, those 2" groups at 50 yds were inspiring. Changed ammo and the group size didn't change significantly, so I took a breather and did a little introspection on the topic. Purchased a glass bedding kit from Brownells and a Power Custom trigger kit. Wow...I had almost as much expense with those two items as the gun. -eek!-

I followed the directions, got the trigger installed and then did a bedding job that was a bit outside the norm I guess. Full length bedding job, barrel and action. If you do this be careful....modeling clay is your friend.

Went to the range and life was looking a bit better. Fiddled with a couple more ammo brands and by chance purchased some WW Power Point which had only recently been released to the market place. It was apparently a match made in heaven.

[Linked Image]

Never was bashful about exploring the outer limits and stepped back to 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

All that with a Weaver K2.5 and I figured I was ready for squill and whatever came my way, and wouldn't you know it, stuff came my way!

[Linked Image]

Couple or three observations in retrospect:

-The P/C trigger has a bit of very smooth and soft creep which I am totally comfortable with. Release in the 2.5# range, or so the scale says.
-I have found that CCI SV LR ammo works OK on pigs and it is prone to sub 1" groups at 50 or less. The performance is mediocre by my standards, but it is also adequate for minute-of-pig brain to that distance. God forbid I should ever need to shoot a pig at that distance, but.......
-Solids work much better than HP ammo on pigs. And squill. Did I mention that it shoots M.O. Dead Squill out to 50 yards as well?
-I've fiddled with a number of Ruger rifles over the years, most from the era when they subcontracted their barrels. Have yet to find one that won't shoot sub-MOA if one it willing to do a little investigation and remedial work. That includes #1s, 77's, and the 10/22 of course.
-I recently discovered that my 10/22 is quite fond of Wolf MT/ME and SK Standard +. It shoots that ammo as well as the Power Point.
-Yes, I still have the iron sights and little rust spots on the barrel. One of these days I'll go beyond the occasional dab of oil on the barrel and clean that up. Or not....

YMMV, have fun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The Ruger 10/22 Sporter (didn't have the fancy deluxe name yet) was the first rifle dad bought me as a kid. Bought it at a gun show in Sarasota. I've had that rifle for over 40 years.

Did some pretty good stunt shooting in my younger years with that rifle and Mini-mags. I can't guess how many miles of river that thing has seen in a canoe.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Feddersen barrel brimstone action/trigger work. Scary accurate with most everything I’ve shot out of mine. Cci mini mags in 1/4 inch at 50 with no wind.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kidd,Kidd and then Kidd.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
806 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,188 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.