Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone try one? Is it worth it? If you have, any particular tip style preferred for rabbit/squirrel hunting?

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tag tag tag. I've been wondering as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one I bought many years ago. I use it to hollow point CB long bullets for squirrels in my back yard. It works fine. It is slow to use but I only make 10-20 at a time so it works for me.

Regards,

Tom
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Paco tool with an assortment of punches to give different nose shapes: wadcutter, cup point, small hollow point, big hollowpoint, big gaping hollowpoint... I haven't even used all the punches I bought, and I also forget what the maker calls'em! :-)

[Linked Image]

The modified ammo is more accurate than the ammo I started with (I've only tried it in one rifle though: an old BRNO I've had for more than 4 decades).

The punch that makes a flatnose with a slight concavity is the one I like best. A lot more barn pigeons fall straight down dead with this bullet than with a normal roundnose which had some fly off, then drop out of the sky later.

[Linked Image]

This reformed bullet even sounds different when it hits a pigeon, rabbit, or wet newspapers, compared to a normal roundnose it is a louder "whack" when it hits. eek grin

Mine is an old model, but I see from the web page that he now makes a tool which can do 4 cartridges at once to speed things up. Looks cool!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See more at Classic Tool or LINK to new models

Paco was a pleasure to deal with too. Some of the pictures I posted above are from his older web sites, but I think THIS is his most recent page.

John

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if they work with 22 long...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/pdfs/resizing-project.pdf

The above link will give you all you need to know. Happy reading.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use the Hannedline 22lr die that allows you to file a meplat semi wad cutter profile on the nose of the bullet. It Is a nice upgrade for the LR. making it noticeably more effective on big critters. It is worth while mod. The hanned line company is out of business I would love to have one of their 22 mag dies.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had the Paco one, and sold it. I ended up with this one, Waltz 22 resizing die.

Waltz

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have both, in my opinion the Waltz die is a far better product.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I use the Hannedline 22lr die that allows you to file a meplat semi wad cutter profile on the nose of the bullet. It Is a nice upgrade for the LR. making it noticeably more effective on big critters. It is worth while mod. The hanned line company is out of business I would love to have one of their 22 mag dies.

I have one of those Hanned Line filing tools too and the re-profiled bullets really penetrated well, and the flat point did drop barn pigeons well!

In my rifle,ammo shot the same before and after the Hanned Line modification. The same 4 or 5 brands of ammo shot better after being reshaped in the Paco tool (presumably because the bullets were now a littler larger diameter?).

John

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Great info! Thanks everyone

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Waltz - all the way , don't expect a lot of banter with the man - just tell him you're sending the money for one of his 22lr bullet dies - he might not even reply . Just send the money and a great die will show up within a month or two .
Juug in as big a hollow point as you like and sometimes better accuracy to boot .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I checked on both tools and came to the conclusion that the Watlz is the way to go. I called him and am satisfied his die is the best solution. The idea of hammering on the base of a cartridge doesn’t sound like the option I would prefer.

I will know in a couple weeks...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also use the Waltz die... it makes some awesome hollow points...

Public landowner...
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, I’ll check out the waltz

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I checked on both tools and came to the conclusion that the Watlz is the way to go. I called him and am satisfied his die is the best solution. The idea of hammering on the base of a cartridge doesn’t sound like the option I would prefer.

shrapnel, may I ask how you contacted Mr Waltz and price of resizing die. I admit I'm poster child of being slow to find anything on internet, but I'm having hard time finding this information on internet. I would really like to try one of his dies also and don't care for hammering on rimfire ammo either.

Chuck

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been intrigued by this concept and am wondering why it improves accuracy. Is it some magic derived from the hollow cavity or is it because that in the course of swaging the tip you are also expanding the nose of the bullet a tad thus making it more of a bore-riding design. In the world of cast bullets in rifles a long-ish nose that firmly rides on top of the lands- the bore- is more accurate than a bullet whose nose doesn't and relies solely on the base of the bullet to engage the rifling. I'm wondering if that's the case here?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by shrapnel

shrapnel, may I ask how you contacted Mr Waltz and price of resizing die. I admit I'm poster child of being slow to find anything on internet, but I'm having hard time finding this information on internet. I would really like to try one of his dies also and don't care for hammering on rimfire ammo either.

Chuck

waltzsssnet.com

$130 plus $15 shipping is what mine cost in 2016...

Public landowner...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 13 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.